Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
Going by Heeney's last few weeks I think he actually ay be best up forward (Certainly is where he looks most dangerous). Agree on Mills though, definitely needs a run in the midfield (Issue is we need a few more options in defence to make it happen).

I was more referring to the fact that 4 and 5 years later, we're still trying to figure out what their best position is, because we held them back from certain positions and in Heeney's case, moved him around all over the field. Just don't see how that's good for their development. I think Blakey could master playing between the arcs now that he's already got a taste of it in his first year, ditto Rowbottom in the guts.

Big things to work on are to not go missing for massive chunks of the game, doesnt get it enough

and when forward he jumps and leaps into some *en stupid marking attemps, timing can be off, think he caughts get up in the excitement a bit, but needs to read it better

Like that he has a bit of attitude though. I've always thought the very best forwards had a bit (or a lot) of aggro and a lot of swagger. Look at the current crop, and that's the difference between someone like Schache who was highly rated in his draft year but produced nothing at AFL level, or Reid who I've always thought was missing the attitude to be a great player, compared to a guy like Jeremy Cameron. Cameron has attitude in spades, and makes things happen.

Blakey has that white-line fever once he's on the park. Gets in a defenders face after a goal, willing to throw himself at a contest because he backs himself to win it. He believes in himself, and he has the talent, so it looks like it'll all come together for him.

Going to be a seriously good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a smile everybody!

Was at the state fencing centre today (which happens to operate out of North Melbourne's head quarters).

And found this familiar name on the wall!

Enjoy 😂

Attachments

• IMG_20191110_145531.jpg
    IMG_20191110_145531.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 308
Here's a smile everybody!

Was at the state fencing centre today (which happens to operate out of North Melbourne's head quarters).

And found this familiar name on the wall!

Enjoy 😂

Great find. Where is Snake Baker when we need him for a comment?

All we need now is the Br'ions equivalent + his stellar career on the coaching panel at the Bloods.

Great find. Where is Snake Baker when we need him for a comment?

All we need now is the Br'ions equivalent + his stellar career on the coaching panel at the Bloods.
At least the Lions never carried on about Nick's decision (that I saw anyway), just accepted it and moved on, unlike the w***ers at North.

Last edited:
If I was North I would not be happy about it. I think Father/Sons should get priority over academy selections.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back