Autopsy 2019 autopsy: 9 wins, 13th on ladder, 2 coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is 19 players, you can remove 4 and your statement is still accurate.

Aaron Sandilands
Scott Jones
Lloyd Meek
David Mundy
Shane Kersten
Ryan Nyhuis
Harley Bennell
Tom North
Tobe Watson
Hayden Ballantyne
Lachlan Schultz
Brandon Matera
Ethan Hughes
Travis Colyer
Bailey Banfield
Mitch Crowden
Cameron McCarthy
Sam Switkowski
Stefan Giro
scary

I can see a bounce similar to Brisbane next season o. The proviso of a mainly fit list. Add some depth and another preseason into our young guys and we’re on.

Things that need to happen in 2020

- A more attacking brand of footy
- Backing players their correct position (none of this Blakely and Cerra in the backline s**t), if this means some players miss out on a Best 22 spot because their positions are already filled then they have to earn their way.
- Serious work on skills
- Dud players like Colyer should not be playing at all next year.
- Rewarding young players who dominate at WAFL level with an AFL level game
- Improvement on development of youth and an improvement on chemistry
- Refusal to listen to media noise and focus on playing our best footy possible.
- Get players of need in the draft and trade period, we need to target Kelly at all costs, and we need to try everything in our power to keep Langdon and Hill, do everything you can to ensure that those two don't walk out of the door. Don't pick duds in the draft and pick players of high skill.
- Pick the right senior coach, CEO and good batch of assistants. Fire the S&C team and bring in some fresh people. Build a winning and positive culture at this club.
- Get to bloody finals and show the rest of the competition that us as Fremantle aren't going to sit and let everything go to waste next season.

Let's show the AFL who we are, let's show them that us as a fanbase and the club as a whole will not lie down and let ANYONE bend us over at all, and we will steamroll through anyone who tries to say otherwise.

We are the Fremantle *in Dockers. Let's put an end to years of misery, and usher in a new golden era of prosperity, aggressive and exciting footy.

After a long season, you can say we've definitely improved. Less blowouts, more competitive, beaten top teams, better position, better percentage and a better list. But you know what? We can do better, and next season is going to be just that. It's time for us to return to finals footy, it's time for fortunes and tides to return in our favour, next year is a whole new beginning for our club.

Things that need to happen in 2020

- A more attacking brand of footy
- Backing players their correct position (none of this Blakely and Cerra in the backline s**t), if this means some players miss out on a Best 22 spot because their positions are already filled then they have to earn their way.
- Serious work on skills
- Dud players like Colyer should not be playing at all next year.
- Rewarding young players who dominate at WAFL level with an AFL level game
- Improvement on development of youth and an improvement on chemistry
- Refusal to listen to media noise and focus on playing our best footy possible.
- Get players of need in the draft and trade period, we need to target Kelly at all costs, and we need to try everything in our power to keep Langdon and Hill, do everything you can to ensure that those two don't walk out of the door. Don't pick duds in the draft and pick players of high skill.
- Pick the right senior coach, CEO and good batch of assistants. Fire the S&C team and bring in some fresh people. Build a winning and positive culture at this club.
- Get to bloody finals and show the rest of the competition that us as Fremantle aren't going to sit and let everything go to waste next season.

Let's show the AFL who we are, let's show them that us as a fanbase and the club as a whole will not lie down and let ANYONE bend us over at all, and we will steamroll through anyone who tries to say otherwise.

We are the Fremantle fu**in Dockers. Let's put an end to years of misery, and usher in a new golden era of prosperity, aggressive and exciting footy.

Heave *in Ho

Get Pav/ Hogan coaching the forward line. Get Jonno/ Mc pharline coaching the backline. Bring back Barlow for the soul and positive vibe. Bring back Kirk for the spiritual mojo. Bring back Crowley even, to teach Banfield the finer points of tagging. Bring in Brayshaw's Dad and bro. Then when we've got enough Freo about Freo, let's see if we can win some games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do like that the media can see the potential of our club/list and that if we make the right coach and CEO appointment, there is the potential to become a ‘big’ club. Clean up the skills, relax the structures and effort and create a harmonious working environment and we could shoot up the ladder quiet quickly.

If Hughes, Duman, Banfield, Colyer and Jones are on the list next year I will spew.

I actually thought Jones was pretty solid today, against two experienced ruckman in Lycett and Ryder. 24 hitouts and 5 clearances against their combined 40 hitouts is pretty good for a guy who has been playing wafl all year, and he did some good contested stuff. Duman made some mistakes today but also had 10 marks, wasn't the worst out there. Banfield can't seem to translate to AFL level yet but I'd give him another year even if he wasn't contracted until end of 2020. Colyer and Hughes I tend to agree with, just don't think they are up to AFL level

I haven't run the numbers too many times this year, but a lot of the skill stuff can be down to the number of younger/inexperienced players out on the park from week to week. It can easily become contagious.

There were several big away wins against top flight opponents, which doesn't happen by fluke. I'm not sure we'll see those sorts of away wins for a while.

The team seemed to be ahead of schedule for building some good chemistry given the number and key nature of new personnel injected into the group. Obviously injuries put paid to that. New coach likely means next year will be another gelling year (this time new coach/game plan).

Who else would trade the Collingwood win for an Alex Pearce non-injury?

A mixed year with some strong wins and poor losses heavily derailed by injuries. Overall a clear improvement from last year which is all I wanted and if we can sort out our medical staff and get some talent in the middle we'll be very well placed for finals.

But ducks go quack, cows go moo and AFL fans scream sack the coach halfway through a rebuild which is what happened.

Last edited:
All in all a good trade period to come.
Hate to loose bhill but is what it is Langdon not as much as he gets a lot of the ball but butches it far too much but there a chance we can swap them with Kelly and maybe spp from port there two handy ins for loosing Langdon and hill and get some talent in draft hopefully holds us in good stead

We did it boys/girls, 13th is actually better than finals.

Richmond in 2016 finished 13th, won the flag in 2017.

Collingwood in 2017 finished 13th, played in the grand final 2018.

Bulldogs in 2018 finished 13th, playing finals 2019.

Lock us in for the flag next year.

Glad we lost today. getting 9 wins this season is also a good omen.

theres 2 other times freo got 9 wins. In 2002 and 2011.

Both those years we got 9 wins, the next year we made finals the next year with 14 wins and 8 defeats. thats a good omen for next season.

We have the worst list in the AFL. The lack of quality youth is the most concerning.

We have lost our identity after moving from Freo and losing RTB.

If we lose Hill and Langdon we honestly will have a team that would struggle in the wafl.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pre-season optimism; but I can't see where it will come from.

Maybe we should trade Fyfe and Walters and pick all the quality WA youth this year and start again. It's not like we are going to win a flag in the next 3 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back