EPL Matchday 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Really like that VAR isn't just automatically overruling the onfield ref. At the end of the day we want the ref making the vast majority of the decisions.
What's the point of var then if it's not ruling out obvious mistakes?

Don't bother.

I've seen those given and if it was a pen I don't think Bmouth could feel particularly aggrieved, but unless the ref has said to VAR that he believed there was no contact, then it's not an obvious error? That's all I'm saying.

imprinted on silva's ankle

As above, the error would only be if the ref believed it was a dive. He didn't book Silva so he's probably said to VAR that he believed there was contact but insufficient to award a pen. Video shows contact, but not obvious enough to go against the ref's interpretation.

Good use, and for those amongst us who whine about VAR's intervention, surely its use being minimalistic is optimal?

As above, the error would only be if the ref believed it was a dive. He didn't book Silva so he's probably said to VAR that he believed there was contact but insufficient to award a pen. Video shows contact, but not obvious enough to go against the ref's interpretation.

Good use, and for those amongst us who whine about VAR's intervention, surely its use being minimalistic is optimal?
so he needs to be stamped on harder. gotcha

so he needs to be stamped on harder. gotcha

As moomba and others have said in the past, contact isn't always a foul. Just as it wasn't on this occasion when it was incidental. Silva made the most of it. I'd have had no issues with it given nor with it not given, it's one of those that goes either way, and sticking with the ref's interpretation is always preferable surely?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was an obvious penalty.

If VAR isn't going to overrule a s**t decision they may as well not bother reviewing it.

You're either bothering or you aren't.. happy to have a discussion on its merits if you do. Ref tells VAR what he saw and if they see something that disagrees with that, then a pen is given. If ref says he saw contact but thought it didn't merit a pen, it's virtually impossible for VAR to say it should be awarded, as it's impossible to judge impact/force on a replay.

They are developing plans AFAIK now that they have stability. Probably 30k max I'd say - they only have 180k people in the area.

Yeah definitely 25-30 is all they need, but 10k is way too low.

Being honest, it causes a lot of misunderstanding at the grounds... At Liverpool yesterday a mate of mine said they had no idea about the 'red card' incident that was never so. Maybe this VAR needs more refining.

Yeah definitely 25-30 is all they need, but 10k is way too low.
They had talked about filling in the corners but I assume this will be worthless if they rebuild in the next 5 years - aka will cost more to do than it will make back. Plus it will take time and mean part of the stadium might be closed.

You're either bothering or you aren't.. happy to have a discussion on its merits if you do. Ref tells VAR what he saw and if they see something that disagrees with that, then a pen is given. If ref says he saw contact but thought it didn't merit a pen, it's virtually impossible for VAR to say it should be awarded, as it's impossible to judge impact/force on a replay.
OK I'll bother.

Surely the aim is to get the correct.decision.

If VAR isn't going to overrule a ref if they've made an incorrect decision there's not a lot of point to it.

Just say that VAR doesn't apply to penalties and we can all move on with the idiot in the middle.

But the rules say that VAR is used to adjudicate penalty decisions
And twice in two weeks the VAR official is just as stupid as the ref or they haven't applied the rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back