EPL Matchday 3

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
lol we ain’t nowhere near city and Liverpool. The team plays with zero the intensity and ferocity of those two teams. Plus the players and manager just aren’t as good. We’ve gone backwards over the last 12 months and the CL run masked that. This could be the season when one of the clubs outside the so called big six (it’s really a big two now) finish top four

DBAH0

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Austin, Tejas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hammers, Austin FC
You support West Ham, think about that before you post jokes
Ha, thought you might say that, happy with how we're going though.

In all seriousness, going to be hard for Spurs now, they probably need to go on a run similar to last season where they won 10 in a row etc.

That and Harry Kane back in 25 - 30 goals per season scoring form.

CazC30

Far from the madding crowd.
Jan 12, 2017
Essex.
AFL Club
West Coast
Ha, thought you might say that, happy with how we're going though.

In all seriousness, going to be hard for Spurs now, they probably need to go on a run similar to last season where they won 10 in a row etc.

That and Harry Kane back in 25 - 30 goals per season scoring form.
Only the Premiership where a teams Championship can be over in three games. Can we just relegated [that team] now and be done with it (Yes, that team).

OK I'll bother.

Surely the aim is to get the correct.decision.

If VAR isn't going to overrule a ref if they've made an incorrect decision there's not a lot of point to it.

Just say that VAR doesn't apply to penalties and we can all move on with the idiot in the middle.

But the rules say that VAR is used to adjudicate penalty decisions
And twice in two weeks the VAR official is just as stupid as the ref or they haven't applied the rules.

The aim isn't to get the correct decision if it's not a clear and obvious error, that's the point. It's just like it's not used to get the correct decision if there's movement in a wall, or a keeper off their line in a penalty, or encroachment on a penalty that doesn't impact the kick. There's numerous examples where VAR doesn't get used because if it was used there would be 100 more FKs or re-takes or issues a game and that's clearly not the point of it. The point of it is where there are clear and obvious mistakes by the onfield ref, where the ref has missed something that impacts a goal scoring opportunity, it is used.

If the ref hasn't booked Silva for simulation he clearly thinks there is contact of insufficient force for a penalty. Nothing in the replay suggested he was clear and obviously wrong.

Blueboys11

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham, New York Mets
If Var isn’t awarding Kane a penalty for a defender diving his whole body in front of him and getting nowhere near the ball, then they might as well just not bother reviewing penalties and stick to offsides. If that’s not stonewall, I don’t know what is

Having said that Spurs were dreadful

CazC30

Far from the madding crowd.
Jan 12, 2017
Essex.
AFL Club
West Coast
If Var isn’t awarding Kane a penalty for a defender diving his whole body in front of him and getting nowhere near the ball, then they might as well just not bother reviewing penalties and stick to offsides. If that’s not stonewall, I don’t know what is

Having said that Spurs were dreadful
Under analysis it's a clear cut penalty.... Says Peter crouch. I feel there're a few permeable reasons for not giving it but tenuous.

On another note, sweat strike from Ashley Barnes against Wolves, Burnley look a decent side.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good weekend for us with Spurs, United and Arsenal all dropping points. We are all a bit s**t it seems and its going to be a real battle all season for those 3-6 spots.
Seems like everyone is carrying on from the end of last season. Absolute miles behind the top two now the rest are

Wolves are unbeaten after 3 games but are languishing in 19th place.

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think Leicester are the team with the best chance of breaking the top 6, and now I’m starting to think possibly top 4. If you look at their squad, it actually stacks up pretty well with United and Chelsea.

If it wasn’t for the Europa League I’d say Wolves are a chance as well, but I think that’ll take a lot out of them.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
I think Leicester are the team with the best chance of breaking the top 6, and now I’m starting to think possibly top 4. If you look at their squad, it actually stacks up pretty well with United and Chelsea.

If it wasn’t for the Europa League I’d say Wolves are a chance as well, but I think that’ll take a lot out of them.

I would say Arsenal / Utd are a good chance of winning EL this season. Wolves shouldn't have a problem in the group stage but will find it difficult in the latter stages.

Speaking of crabs scoring, nice finish from Joelinton.

Kanes looked a pen and Silva a bit of a dive for mine

Will be interesting to hear the explanation on the Kane decision.

Back