Autopsy Roast & Toast Round 23 vs Brisbane, changes for Qualifying Final vs Brisbane

who was in the best for the Tigers vs Brisbane

• David Astbury

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Nathan Broad

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Dylan Grimes

Votes: 83 30.5%
  • Bachar Houli

Votes: 109 40.1%
  • Nick Vlastuin

Votes: 244 89.7%
  • Jayden Short

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Brandon Ellis

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Dion Prestia

Votes: 192 70.6%
  • Josh Caddy

Votes: 33 12.1%
  • Daniel Rioli

Votes: 14 5.1%
  • Trent Cotchin

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Kane Lambert

Votes: 22 8.1%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Tom Lynch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jack Riewoldt

Votes: 129 47.4%
  • Ivan Soldo

Votes: 58 21.3%
  • Shane Edwards

Votes: 33 12.1%
  • Dustin Martin

Votes: 209 76.8%
  • Jason Castagna

• Liam Baker

Votes: 67 24.6%
  • Jack Graham

• Noah Balta

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Didnt we end a huge losing streak versus geelong in the first final?

Brisbane can do the same..
Yes they can. The only difference is that it took us the experience of losing to our problem teams in Carlton (2013) and North Melbourne (2015) as the lower ranked sides before we finally defeated a problem team in Geelong in the first final. However, they can just bypass that phase so we need to be alert.

Posters talk about about Ellis being soft, he is a diamond compared to Short. every time he gets the ball under pressure he s**ts the bed and disposes of the ball poorly and either turns it over or puts a team mate under pressure.

If you made the argument that the only reason he’s in the team is for his kicking it wouldn’t even stand up at the moment. You’d have thought he’d be the last person who’d want to be out of form this time of year

Was interesting to see that we hardly had a spare behind the ball in general play to free up Grimes / Vlastuin like we usually would.

We just went man on man.

Not sure if that was by design or because the Lions made us play that way, but it was interesting.

Was interesting to see that we hardly had a spare behind the ball in general play to free up Grimes / Vlastuin like we usually would.

We just went man on man.

Not sure if that was by design or because the Lions made us play that way, but it was interesting.

We definitely played a different style

30YearsOfPain

All Australian
Jul 31, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Hawks did as a tremendous favour. We have a crack at Brisbane up there and if we lose, at the G for the rest of our finals campaign.
gotta throw Nick Vlastuin some more love, absolutely love this bloke. What a rock, just a natural footballer and all round gun, so reliable. We love him internally but outside of the club I feel opposition supporters have no idea how good he is. When Rance went down I was confident we could hold up because our backline is just such a unit, and greater than the sum of its parts

I’ve been banging on about Vlas for ages. His composure and decision making under the pump is elite. To non Richmond people I tell em that he is like if Pendlebury played in the backline that is what my man Vlas is like. He is the best mid sized defender in the comp. Anyone who says anything different can EAD.

We just went man on man.

Yeah. I was wondering if we were trying out something different. Or they structured up well. We also didn't really try to stop their midfield accumulation. Maybe after Q1 Dimma felt that he'd keep his powder dry?

Anyway, it was a bit different.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
according to smats - 4 players from 4 teams had 35 or more possessions or more, yes 4 only, out of 18 teams. rightly or wrongly lets call them 'ball hogs'....surprise surprise, all 4 teams lost by lots.
All that means other players let them down and unless he totally butchered it then you may have a point. Brisbane in the first quarter wasted a lot of footy as they were rushing balls in and not having a look for options. We had the breeze and they were chipping it in a lot and we just kept cutting their entries off. The second quarter they improved earlier on, but they started to overuse the ball in their forward half. Neale was super in the third and they came out to play. We couldn’t get our hands on it for most of the quarter. By the last a lot of their kids were blowing up and their players as they come on the bench were looking like they’d had enough. Don’t be fooled as their issue today was their entries into the forwards and their forwards lacked penetration with their kicking .
Neale was outstanding giving the players around him first use , but they broke down around him further up the ground. If he wasn’t playing we’d be playing in Melbourne in two weeks time.
We need to shut him down bc their FD and Hodge will be pinpointing where they exploited us and where they broke down. They’ve got some tremendous talent and will need to be pulled apart individually by our FD as we can’t allow Neale to win that much footy in a game bc eventually the floodgates could open up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
First of all, great win. Meatball good again, Duz highly influential and Grimes still the best defender in the game. Bit of upside still with Ellis, Cotch and Balta all having little impact. Shorts numbers were good but thought he butchered it. Must say, I loved Brisbane’s tactic of tackling our players once they took a mark even though they weren’t in the contest. Very cunning. We love to move it fast so they just tacked us illegally to slow us down. What happened to this being an automatic 50m penalty? Also, didn’t realise that you can be given advantage when you are due a 50m penalty... never seen that before either. Then there was the free against Lynch.... WTF is wrong with umpires lately. Was Lynch supposed to just let the defender take prime position? Seriously...
Seriously?!? It's called play on the bigger man won that contest and there was nothing illegal about it, looked ugly but not illegal to stand your ground if your a bigger man!

So far 218 people have cast votes, and Vlastuin has received 197 votes! What I want to know is who are the 21 that appear to have no idea about who was among the best on the day! Seriously, how could anyone leave Vlossy out at all on that performance - probably all the Ellis voters (that only accounted for 3 through to be fair) ;)

Last edited:

69vintage

Premiership Player
Jan 15, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I was thinking more about this before. None of their forwards really troubled us. Cameron is their most threatening but covering smalls is what we do best. I thought both our mids and forwards were down on the pressure stuff. Clamp down a bit harder on their mids. I know we don't really run tags but plan a bit more for defending clearances and Neale, and like today I don't see how they can kick a score that can win a final. Their forwards would need to pull one out of the bag. Where as we've got upside in that we didn't play the way we normally do.
It was their lowest score of the year .
Their second lowest was against the pies, so they have trouble against the good sides .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
So far 218 people have cast votes, and Vlastuin has received 197 votes! What I want to know is who are the 21 that appear to have no idea about who was among the best on the day! Seriously, how could anyone leave Vlossy out at all on that performance - probably all the Ellis voters (that only accounted for 3) ;)
Martin at 77.1%????

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Yep Broady was good didn't get much of the footy at all but punched out of his division a lot today and did well, spoiling well and going when he had to.

No plaudits no one will have really noticed him but the coaches would've.

It's where the stats sheet does'nt always tell the truth. Look at Short he was woeful and had a bazillion touches.
Thought Broady played a solid game presented well, had an atrocious holding the ball paid to his oppo who was laying on top of his back!

Martin at 77.1%????

Yeah, bizarre that number too, sometimes I think it is a popularity contest based on the player buttons they have on their duffle coat!

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Yeah, bizarre that number too, sometimes I think it is a popularity contest based on the player buttons they have on their duffle coat!
The four most influential Tigers were Dusty Flossy Houli and Prestia. The fifth was a raffle on at least ten other blokes and I gave it to Rioli Favoli as it was his best game all year. I was tempted on Baker or Soldo also, but ran out of votes.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
So far 218 people have cast votes, and Vlastuin has received 197 votes! What I want to know is who are the 21 that appear to have no idea about who was among the best on the day! Seriously, how could anyone leave Vlossy out at all on that performance - probably all the Ellis voters (that only accounted for 3) ;)
bait.gif

69vintage

Premiership Player
Jan 15, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

We just went man on man.

They tried to make our defenders accountable and went man on man behind the ball which left plenty of space around the stoppages .
It was a interesting tactic that other teams haven't tried .
Most teams have pushed extra players to the stoppage and left their forwards outnumbered .
It gave them plenty of clearance wins but also resulted in their lowest score of the year .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tiger_4_Life

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Regardless of what happens this finals series, this is the best and most successful team that I've been alive to witness (36 yo) seeing blokes like shedda, Cotch, dusty and Jack apply their trade is a treat and something we all shouldn't take for granted as nothing lasts forever..... Enjoy the ride tigs fans regardless of what unfolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back