Preview Changes for the Elimination Final vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

After a good nights sleep and having calmed down a little I can see the path we need to take, drop Barrass to send a message and bring in Rotham. Beat Essendon then bring back Nic Nat and Barrass and the rest will be history. A message needs to be sent that if you dont give 100% you may miss out on a flag opportunity and Barrass is that statement.

I think Hurn's drop off in form is making the biggest difference. Along with Gov and Barass he created a defensive wall, a rebounding machine, last year. Our leaky defense has worried me from the start, and its coming to bite us on the bum. Geelong and Richmond's defence look so much tighter and more reliable. Lost by an average of what, 40+ this year. Really not good enough for a premiership contender. Premiers usually have miserly defences... I think it's partly caused a chain reaction in our defense, but dunno why Barass is so out of form, or why Shuey has been poor lately. Maybe McGovern is not that fit? Hasn't been too bad imo, but not elite.

Were never going to get a day game. That was always going to be the GWS Dogs game, the least attended/watched game. Let's just hope weather isn't a factor.

Yep. He should go. Not good enough! 🤬

Have you considered the Sam Mitchell factor who only left last year .. Well he probably knows Wce game plan backwards at Optus and then there’s Clarko who influenced a lot of Simmo’s tactics ..
Hawks have always troubled us ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have you considered the Sam Mitchell factor who only left last year .. Well he probably knows Wce game plan backwards at Optus and then there’s Clarko who influenced a lot of Simmo’s tactics ..
Hawks have always troubled us ..

Have you ever considerd we know their game plan backwards throught Simmo, Mitchell in the past and 2000 hrs of research but just played badly.

Have you ever considerd we know their game plan backwards throught Simmo, Mitchell in the past and 2000 hrs of research but just played badly.

So we know there plan so well that the Hawks kicked so many goals at the back unattended..Burgoyne the defender was playing fwd and kicking goals that’s a surprise ..

With no Hutchings and Nelson not filling the tagging role what do we do? Is Duggan capable or do we use Redden and bring in Ah chee to spend time in the midfield. This is a game we need to tag if we are any chance of winning. I would have Cripps put the hard tag on Saad. Duggan to one of their mids.

Out: Nelson Pet Waterman
In: Schoey Ah chee Nic Nat

Barrass should be dropped. he is not in good form and he has cost us easy goals in the Richmond and hawthorn games.

Schoefield is needed to be playing on jake stringer.

Duggan has not been playing well since coming back and Jarrod Cameron needs to come in for Petch.

I'm not confidend of the teams form at the moment. winning outside top 4 is going to be very hard.

Back to back flags are hard. the tigers couldn't do it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a difference a week makes

Last week when i said Barrass should be dropped for making crucial blunders and costing us the game against the tigers, the general reaction was thumbs down

This week, he is in most peoples omissions list

I do like Tommy, very much. But the cold, harsh reality is, his blunders cost us a top 4 spot

Sheed barely made an effort to chase early in the first. Knew we were gone at that point.

Noticed a lot of our players didnt go hard at the contest to win the ball - held off a bit or disnt go in at all. s**t to watch.

sore bodies or not. that is not an acceptable excuse. I guess the pre finals bye will allow players to freshen up and go hard.

Our season has been unconvincing and we should never have dropped our home games at all. 5th is where deserve to be.

Our defense MUST tighten up because Richmond and geelong never allow easy goals like we have. this is unacceptable

Last edited:
I think a lot of our players are going to benefit from a rest this week.

In: Schofield, NN
Out: Hickey, Waterman

• I absolutely hate dropping Waterman, he's done nothing to deserve it, but I think we need to sure up our defense and we have enough forward-half fire power without him
  • Schofield must come in as a lock-down defender and defensive mentor and I want him bolstering our defenders not replacing one.
  • I'm very confident in Allen holding his own in the ruck, with a forwardline chop-out from Darling
  • Hickey is very unlucky, but NN
  • I'm not opposed to Cameron for Petruccelle, but would prefer to minimise unforced changes at this stage
  • Duggan to tag Saad

Seeing as hawks are out now....

IN: Sam Mitchell
OUT: Lack of (rhymes with grunt)

We will be playing most our finals in Melbourne anyway so he might be keen...

I think a lot of our players are going to benefit from a rest this week.

In: Schofield, NN
Out: Hickey, Waterman

• I absolutely hate dropping Waterman, he's done nothing to deserve it, but I think we need to sure up our defense and we have enough forward-half fire power without him
  • Schofield must come in as a lock-down defender and defensive mentor and I want him bolstering our defenders not replacing one.
  • I'm very confident in Allen holding his own in the ruck, with a forwardline chop-out from Darling
  • Hickey is very unlucky, but NN
  • I'm not opposed to Cameron for Petruccelle, but would prefer to minimise unforced changes at this stage
  • Duggan to tag Saad

Duggan is not quick enough to tag saad. Saad is lightning quick and we have to stop him from creating drive off half back.

Simpson has a lot of thinking to do. I like to think we can win it from 5th, but it will be very hard. If all goes to plan, we beat Essendon and then play Collingwood (if geelong defeats them) and then set up a date with Richmond in the pre-lim.

Duggan is not quick enough to tag saad. Saad is lightning quick and we have to stop him from creating drive off half back.

Simpson has a lot of thinking to do. I like to think we can win it from 5th, but it will be very hard. If all goes to plan, we beat Essendon and then play Collingwood (if geelong defeats them) and then set up a date with Richmond in the pre-lim.

I would have Cripps sacrifice his game to tag out Saad. Cripps is quick so should be able to keep up with him.

In: Naitanui, Schofield, Cameron
Out: Jacko Nelson, Waterman, Petch

Allen to play forward and push to the wing, Nic and Hick to share the ruck and Schofield to assist in the backline on either a tall or small, give Gov and Barrass opportunity to set up intercepts. Petch hard luck after kicking 20 goals, Cameron offers more defensively and is cleaner off half forward.

At the game - Darling looked exhausted from the first bounce, hoping that the break does him some good.

I think he's trying to remain positive. The players would be devastated after that performance and know what it means for the premiership defence. Simpsons job as the leader is to pull them together is to remind them of the things they do well, and use the negatives as learning points for the finals. If he loses his s**t publicly, there's a fair chance the players will say "fu** this s**t, what's the point?" If that happens, we won't get near Essendon. Sure, everyone wants to tear strips off and it might make people outside the group feel good at pointing the finger, but in reality it'll do nothing for future performance.
Not what i meant at all. I dont expect him to tear shreds... What i mean is he seems as confused as anyone as to why they lost that so badly.
The week off might help wce this time around

Remove this Banner Ad

Back