No Oppo Supporters DEATH RIDE 2: A TEAGUE OF THEIR OWN! (Picks 3 and 21)

How many wins for the rest of the year under their new coach David Teague?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

But remember - Tom Green will push their pick out to 9 and if GC get a front ended PP - very unlikely, it becomes pick 10. So the final trade come draft night could be pick 4 for 2 picks between 10 & 20 - who wouldn't do that deal

GC are not getting a priority pick at the front of the first round

They just aren’t.

Thats very good for us, normally a huge surcharge is required to get to the pointy end.

Didn't Port Power have to pay 40% extra (points value) to move up last year?
Plenty of people out there claiming a runaway success for the Blues basing it on the points system. A points system which only holds any weight when talking about academy picks. Pick 3 is an absolute premium. It's a win-win for both clubs.

No, we gave a mid and late 1st rounders in a weak draft for Gibbs and an equivalent 1st rounder in a stronger draft. No need to convince anyone, the facts are there for ppls with any decent football knowledge.;)

Ironic that you use the term facts, yet you keep trying to claim that we didn't give 2 first round picks to Carlton which is factually incorrect.

Pick 10 and 16 are both first round picks, that's an irrefutable fact.

We gave them two firsts, slightly upgraded our 2nd round pick and received their 3rd rounder.

The other fact is that we paid more for Gibbs than we received for Lever.

Ironic that you use the term facts, yet you keep trying to claim that we didn't give 2 first round picks to Carlton which is factually incorrect.

Pick 10 and 16 are both first round picks, that's an irrefutable fact.

We gave them two firsts, slightly upgraded our 2nd round pick and received their 3rd rounder.

The other fact is that we paid more for Gibbs than we received for Lever.
Not sure why we can't all just agree that the Gibbs trade was a failure. We paid a high price while we had the currency to spend - he played well in his first year when we stuffed ourselves with camps and hamstrings then his form and energy fell off a cliff. It happens boys and girls.

Not sure why we can't all just agree that the Gibbs trade was a failure. We paid a high price while we had the currency to spend - he played well in his first year when we stuffed ourselves with camps and hamstrings then his form and energy fell off a cliff. It happens boys and girls.

The original theory completely relied on us having a strong 2018 which would have negated the loss of the 2nd round pick. After our terrible season it blew any chance we had to negate giving them our 2nd rounder.

The other claim that we received a strong pick that was "equal of a first rounder" is complete malarkey.

We downgraded that pick on draft night back to pretty much the same pick we gave Carlton. That in itself shows the difference between the pick we gave Carlton and the one we received back was completely negligible from the clubs point of view.

Most of us has just accepted it and written the whole thing off as a very bad day at the office, unfortunately some people are so desperate to convince themselves that it wasn't a bad deal that they're still trying to spin doctor it.

Plenty of people out there claiming a runaway success for the Blues basing it on the points system. A points system which only holds any weight when talking about academy picks. Pick 3 is an absolute premium. It's a win-win for both clubs.
I've had a look through pick only trades over past drafts and there is a general pattern of roughly equal value in pick points being traded with the club seeking a pick trade paying an additional premium, eg. a club wanting a pick like #1-#3 would need to cough up and extra 200 or more points value.

There are variations like if a club wanted to split a high pick then the value of picks traded is more even. There's too often a trend like this for clubs to restrict pick points for academy/FS purposes only.

I've had a look through pick only trades over past drafts and there is a general pattern of roughly equal value in pick points being traded with the club seeking a pick trade paying an additional premium, eg. a club wanting a pick like #1-#3 would need to cough up and extra 200 or more points value.

There are variations like if a club wanted to split a high pick then the value of picks traded is more even. There's too often a trend like this for clubs to restrict pick points for academy/FS purposes only.

Feel free to delete but just thought I'd share Carlton's perspective (Majority).

Most on our board see it as pretty even:

-Points are close.

-You get a stronger pick.

-We get the guy we wanted last year and a decent pick this year.

-On balance I'd probably rather have pick 3 (just), but our recent joy is more like relief because at one stage it was looking like pick 1 for 14 and 18

(EDIT: FYI I agree with most replies and would like it, but a Hawks mod has taken that ability from me temporarily)

Last edited:
Feel free to delete but just thought I'd share Carlton's perspective (Majority).

-Points are close.

-On balance I'd probably rather have pick 3 (just), but our recent joy is more like relief because at one stage it was looking like pick 1 for 14 and 18
I think we mostly share the same sentiment. Really happy with what we got but not overally thrilled with what we gave up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For us, the question has to be:

If we had Pick 3, would we trade it for Pick 8 and 19?

I don't think many people here would. Maybe Carlton would, but definitely not us.
I think perspectives are skewed from both sides as we hardly know what a single figure pick looks like and Carlton hardly know what a double figure pick looks like.

-Points are close.

I think you are in the minority reading your board thread how crow can you go..most of your posters think SOS has reamed the crows. We see it differently.

The crows need the high pick as every year we end up with a mid to late range 1st. Carlton it seems are likely to trade the pick so both clubs seem to get what they need. Maybe the club might try to tempt GC for Lukosius and a pick 3 is much better for us to try that - if (and it is a very big if) something could be worked using pick 3 where Luko ended up at the crows, that pick trade will have been one of the best pieces of business we have done for many a year I would think

-Points are close.

I have you guys winning the trade points wise more than generally accepted but at a level where we would still accept the trade for an opportunity to get our hands a pick like #3 if it was especially needed.

It's generally seen as pick #19 from last year but normalise it by taking out the 3 academy picks and it's pick #16, and allowing for the available talent last year to be much deeper, it could even be pick #15. If the GC PP this year is pick #2, it negates GC's compo for losing Lynch.

I don't think many people here would. Maybe Carlton would, but definitely not us.

If it was pick 2 I would give it the green light, that was where the value was. Just a shame there wasn't one more gun in this years draft.

-Points are close.

(EDIT: FYI I agree with most replies and would like it, but a Hawks mod has taken that ability from me temporarily)
Can we delete it after we ban you ;)

In all seriousness and excusing the year long wankfest by both groups of supporters, this as about as even a trade as you can get.

We get a low pick, something we’ve never had and we may be able to help turn into Luko.

You get a downgrade but still a decent pick plus an extra pick used on a player you wanted.

At one stage it looked like we were cleaning up big time, but with Teague and our implosion it evened out.

One thing I find amusing though is now the trade is based on where the picks finished up, not the players themselves as we kept hearing when we were clearly winning the trade.

There is no chance I would do that trade.

Didn't we offer 8 & 13 to the Saints for pick 4 last year and they refused?

Not as simple as you say.
Is pick 3 going to remain pick 3 or will gws and GC compo make it pick 5?
And pick 19 last year was a very good pick, I don't know how good stocker will be but 19 last year was valuable.
Also will we trade it or keep it?

Here are some of the historic trades involving early first round picks

Pick 8 + Pick 19 → Pick 3
Pick 11 + Pick 23 + Pick 30 + Pick 49 → Pick 6 + Pick 42
Pick 3 + Pick 16 → Pick 2 + Pick 31 + Pick 51 + Pick 60
Pick 10 + Pick 68 → Pick 7 + Pick 23 + Pick 36
Pick 14 + Pick 17 + Pick 31 → Pick 9 + Pick 19 + Pick 49
Pick 6 + Pick 9 + Pick 29 → Pick 3 + Pick 10 + Pick 43
Pick 11 + Pick 31 + Pick 49 → Pick 6 + Pick 44

Aside from St Kilda's ridiculous trade where they offloaded 10 for 7 and 23, feels like we came out better than average

Back