Hawks to exit Tassie after 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Whether they get the licence or not the club really should push for equal billing for the academy and AFLW licence.

Why should a club that has been in the market for 11 less seasons get greater 'city hall' support?

My hunch is that the AFL want to give North a leg up, as they consider Hawthorn to be a stabilised club.

As for what is fair, since when has the AFL ever taken what's fair in to account? Every season is grossly compromised before a ball is even bounced.

All provisional licences have turned into AFL clubs.

I'll believe it when I see it mate, because the cold hard economics point out that it's an absurd notion.

My hunch is that the AFL want to give North a leg up, and they consider Hawthorn to be a stabilised club.

As for what is fair, since when has the AFL ever taken what's fair in to account? Every season is grossly compromised before a ball is even bounced.

I'll believe it when I see it mate, because the cold hard economics point out that it's an absurd notion.

Fair point, it is nice to whinge though.

I want a team as much as everyone,I just don't think we should get our hopes up,because many times in the past if has looked like we would get a team by a certain time and we never have.

Never thought it's looked remotely close in the past to be honest.
This is Tassie's shot, otherwise it could be another 20 years.

To quote Caroline Wilson...

I would like to see Hawthorn play hard ball with Tasmania

...and what is said in public and what happens behind closed doors, especially when the president of the day will no longer be control when the deal is negotiated can differ.

For example, why should Hawthorn miss out on a Tasmanian football academy and AFLW licence to a club that has been in the market for 10 less years.

If the AFL decides that a Tasmanian standalone team is not viable and no longer push a relocation why should North get preferential treatment in Tasmania?

Why have the Hobart games by and large featured higher drawing opponents and have been played in prime time (when has York Park ever got a Friday Night game?)

If Hawthorn can now make just as much if not more money from 30,000 to 50,000 games at the MCG against Fremantle (37.4k in Melb), PA (28.5k average in Melb), Carlton (51.5k average in Melb) and Brisbane (37.5k average in Melb) surely it’s time to review the terms and conditions?
Better to have our better games and time slots when we play @ MCG anyway. Time to ditch Tassie and start competing with the ‘big 4’ head on.
they will get a provisional licence within 3 years
Task Force reports end of 2019, I'd say a decision will be made by the start of next season. Reckon they will be awarded a provisional licence conditional that they have a 30K stadium, and a certain level of sponsorship in place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks president Jeff Kennet has indicated that they will leave Tasmania if Tassie gets a team,otherwise he wants his team to stay in the state well into the future.It will be interesting to see what happens if the AFL rules out a team for Tasmania,will they sign a new 5 year deal with the state with reduced benefits or decide to leave.

Hawks president Jeff Kennet has indicated that they will leave Tasmania if Tassie gets a team,otherwise he wants his team to stay in the state well into the future.It will be interesting to see what happens if the AFL rules out a team for Tasmania,will they sign a new 5 year deal with the state with reduced benefits or decide to leave.

Why reduce benefits? I assume you mean Tassie pay less sponsorship money. Why do you think that?

Personally, I think Hawthorn are gone and it will be a shame for Launceston. But thems the breaks.

I presume they’ll continue if ‘the reduced benefits’ are greater for the club financially than playing 11 home games at the MCG and Marvel

For example, perhaps a similar or lesser financial agreement but without the major sponsorship and naming rights component?

Why reduce benefits? I assume you mean Tassie pay less sponsorship money. Why do you think that?

Personally, I think Hawthorn are gone and it will be a shame for Launceston. But thems the breaks.
The government have suggested they will want more out Hawthorn if the agreement continues and they may cut the grand final bonus for example.

The government have suggested they will want more out Hawthorn if the agreement continues and they may cut the grand final bonus for example.

Ah, I did not know that. Well, if they cut the money then, yeah, they cut the team.

Yup, give ALL the money to North.
Good thing I was already sitting on the floor because of a shitty back because Rolling from a standing start is bloody dangerous.
While I have completely leapt to wanting us out of there, the moronic thinking it would take for Tazzie football / government to feel like they should or could bend us over to get MORE than we already give, otherwise they'll threaten the purse is LAUGHABLE.
Do they really feel like threatening us and having North as their fallback is some amazing position to be in?
Do they know what kind of reach each of the two clubs have in terms of following, marketing, private sector support, corporate support that flows into the management of the club, success on an ongoing basis, entrepreunurship and innovation etc etc mean to the larger population and how you function?
Stone.
Cold.
Stupid.
If that's indeed the case in their thinking.

They will NEVER get a successful club going if they have that little understanding of how to create relationships and flow on benefits.

Gob Smacked.

If we're out of contract to Tasmania then maybe the AFL could make up the financial shortfall by paying HFC as Ambassadors of Tasmania - outside the cap?

Hawks and Tassie have been good for each other. Has also opened everyone’s eyes to fact that season is a little too long.

If we’ve worn out our welcome, let’s go before we are pushed.

Playing 3-4 ‘excess’ games in Dingley has some appeal to me. I know it is not in our strategic plan - but I would like to see it worked up as an alternative to Tassie (if and only if the Tassie govt wants to wind up their sponsorship).

CS

Tassie won't get the licence, and I am ok with that, it will be a major flop and we don't need that. Hawks to hopefully stay. Or maybe tell the AFL they're out unless we get same benefits as North.

But AFL want us out I think, so that won't work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back