Final 2019 attendance ladder

Remove this Banner Ad

not only are they exaggerated but 1/4 to 1/2 of the fans at the game support the away team most of the time

Not sure how it all works but wouldn't GWS/GC make more money if non-members are turning up?

Say:
- Collingwood averages 50,000 attendance and 50,000 are home members - they make $0 on the gate
- GWS have 15,000 at home games and 8,000 are away members who have to purchase a ticket = $$$

It a bit like people jacking off over their membership numbers - I would rather know the income generated from members than actual member numbers. Same with club attendances - how much money did they make rather than number of attendances

Wow Richmond average just over 50,000 to games with over 100,000 members. That is an excessively poor turn up rate.

With so many members we know we are not guaranteed entry to the biggest stadium in the southern hemisphere. Whereas, if you support another club...

Richmond Members: 103,000+
MCG Capacity: 100,024

Yes but you got the Bombers as a home game and we got Carlton as an away game.
Same difference.
There are too many variables to truly compare overall attendances. However if only games vs travelling teams are considered, you remove some as the amount of opposition support is minimal, and time slots are likely equally less viewer friendly. If the results of this are close you can say it’s meaningless - but the Pies are found seriously wanting. Clearly not in the top 2.

Same difference.
There are too many variables to truly compare overall attendances. However if only games vs travelling teams are considered, you remove some as the amount of opposition support is minimal, and time slots are likely equally less viewer friendly. If the results of this are close you can say it’s meaningless - but the Pies are found seriously wanting. Clearly not in the top 2.

This is hilarious. Richmond supporters will try anything to get themselves in front. So you want fairness but you played Brisbane in Melbourne and we didn't. The only figure that counts is people through the gate and yet again Collingwood deliver. We now hold the 6 Biggest Home and Away season averages in history and 8 of the top 9. Richmond the minnows cannot compete.

This is hilarious. Richmond supporters will try anything to get themselves in front. So you want fairness but you played Brisbane in Melbourne and we didn't. The only figure that counts is people through the gate and yet again Collingwood deliver. We now hold the 6 Biggest Home and Away season averages in history and 8 of the top 9. Richmond the minnows cannot compete.
Home games vs travelling teams
Richmond: West Coast Sunday 1.10, GWS Sunday 1.10, Port Saturday 1.45, Brisbane Sunday 3.20, Sydney Saturday 7.20 (Docklands)
Collingwood: West Coast Saturday 7.20, Port Friday 7.50 (Docklands), Freo Saturday 1.45, Suns Sunday 1.10

We both had 1 Docklands game affecting it, you got 2 night games which boosts the crowd significantly, while we only got 1. We had a better selection of teams but you fell significantly short of us on average crowds. Not sure why it’s hard to understand that this is more accurate than overall attendance.

Richmond: West Coast Sunday 1.10, GWS Sunday 1.10, Port Saturday 1.45, Brisbane Sunday 3.20, Sydney Saturday 7.20 (Docklands)
Collingwood: West Coast Saturday 7.20, Port Friday 7.50 (Docklands), Freo Saturday 1.45, Suns Sunday 1.10

We both had 1 Docklands game affecting it, you got 2 night games which boosts the crowd significantly, while we only got 1. We had a better selection of teams but you fell significantly short of us on average crowds. Not sure why it’s hard to understand that this is more accurate than overall attendance.

You have never been able to draw a yearly rate of over 1.2 million. We have done it 6 times. Richmond a club built on excuses.

Nope just find it astounding. Either botched figures or a very uncommitted following.

Can we keep the club trolling in the bay? This board is theoretically supposed to be sans that s**t

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again more lies to suit your argument. You may want to look at the Victorian following of Brisbane with the Fitzroy factor. Sad that your figures are so unreliable. The only stat that counts is people through the gate. Tigers a nice local brand with Collingwood as a National powerhouse.

Yeah pretty much...

I've been very critical of Richmond in the past (I'm not going to lie), especially when it comes to attendances against non Victorian clubs but the numbers don't lie...

Highest Melbourne based average against non Victorian clubs

Richmond 51,218 (5 games) in 2019
Hawthorn 50,103 (3 games*) in 2016
Essendon 46,868 (3 games) in 1999
Hawthorn 45,588 (2 games*) in 2015
Hawthorn 44,735 (3 games*) in 2014
Collingwood 43,873 (4 games) in 2012
Collingwood 43,742 (4 games) in 2011
Hawthorn 43,699 (2 games*) in 2007
Collingwood 43,447 (5 games) in 2019

*Hawthorn played Frem, GC (2016), GC, BL (2015), BL, WCE (2014) and WC, PA (2007) which would have brough their average down had they been scheduled in Melbourne.

Pound for pound Richmond's 2019 attendances are extremely impressive. Not only did they play basically the maximum number of non Victorian teams in Victoria (5 of their 11 home games) but one of those games was against the Swans at Docklands, easily the highest drawing non Victorian club.

Interestingly Richmond's 2018 total crowds were 60,000 larger than 2019 but their attendances against non Victorian clubs was much lower (39,936 across 3 games)

This to me indicates that 2019 was a much stronger drawing year for Richmond than 2018.

It also helps that they broke the attendance record for a Melbourne based club against a non Victorian club, they actually smashed the 2014 record of 72,760 against the Swans (by more than 4,000 against the Lions)

I wonder what that game against the Swans (which drew 40,000 plus) at Docklands would have drawn at the MCG - probably 60,000

Only recently has our supporter base been tested under successful conditions. Lack of success in the 80s and 90s cost us national exposure compared to the other big Vic clubs and the stars never aligned to draw big crowds against interstate clubs until the last few years. Going forward I reckon our long term average will come into line with Pies, Bombers etc

Not trolling at all. A significant disparity that has every right to be raised.

You're here to troll, be man enough to own it. There is actually a stupid pies vs tigs thread on this board just for this stuff

Some of us want to talk about these figures without it being all about the banter

Nope just find it astounding. Either botched figures or a very uncommitted following.

So are Collingwood supporters even less committed, or is Collingwood a much smaller club?

Has to be one or the other. Although I will understand if your too ashamed of you club to answer. I would be if I were you.

Not sure how it all works but wouldn't GWS/GC make more money if non-members are turning up?

Say:
- Collingwood averages 50,000 attendance and 50,000 are home members - they make $0 on the gate
- GWS have 15,000 at home games and 8,000 are away members who have to purchase a ticket = $$$

It a bit like people jacking off over their membership numbers - I would rather know the income generated from members than actual member numbers. Same with club attendances - how much money did they make rather than number of attendances

yeah they would be making more money from it but it doesn't say much about their own supporter base.

Ok so let's say your team, StKilda, played against the Big 4 teams instead of playing only against the 'smaller' teams... Hang on a sec, I see you DO play against those teams. As a matter of fact only Richmond had to play against Big 4 sides as many times as your club (5) this year. What am I missing? That when the Big 4 clubs play each other it's usually a 'blockbuster'? There's a reason for that.

St.kilda's attendances are also fudged by games against the big Melbourne clubs. Any other league this wouldn't happen as the away team would only get a certain allocation. It is also more likely that those blockbuster games are played twice in a season, rather than Saints for example only getting the one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back