2019 3rd Ashes Test 22-27 August Headingley

Who will win the 3rd test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I personally couldn't give a fu** if stokes scored 1000 runs to win the test.

Not sure how any Australian supporter could find any fun in England winning that.
Sure it's no fun losing to the Poms but Test cricket was also the winner which does balance it out a bit.

So you’re arguing about Starcs awesomeness but don’t even know his record in England? His economy rate is about 3.5. When England get on top, he is the source of the runs. You want a link, here’s a classic, England need nearly 6 an over to steal an improbable win in day 4, Starc to the rescue! 7 overs, 0/48 as England fall just 21 runs short, a couple more Starc overs and we would have got there!

So you’re arguing about Starcs awesomeness but don’t even know his record in England? His economy rate is about 3.5. When England get on top, he is the source of the runs.

Thought so. Just made up BS. 'About 3.5'. LOL. There's a bees dicks difference in Pattsinson and Starc's E/R overall. 3.39 vs 3.27.

You want a link, here’s a classic, England need nearly 6 an over to steal an improbable win in day 4, Starc to the rescue! 7 overs, 0/48 as England fall just 21 runs short, a couple more Starc overs and we would have got there!

You have to go back 6 years to back up your case??? FMD. He was inconsistent in 2013 & 2014 I will agree, but last time we toured England he was our leading wicket taker in the Test matches.

I find the anti-Starc rhetoric really weird, and the fact that Langer seems to agree with it even weirder. I couldn't believe they went with both Hazlewood and Siddle in the last match. Seemed kind of insane to me.

Prior to this series, I assumed Starc is our most dangerous bowler and therefore the first picked. I guess I've completely missed this mediocrity that everyone keeps going on about.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahshahahahahahahshahahahahahahahahahah

Suck it Aussies.

But seriously. Paine shouldn’t have called for a review when it was clearly pitching on the 5th stump. Cost you guys dearly. But he did want to use the review have h would have thought not using all would have gone to waste.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure it's no fun losing to the Poms but Test cricket was also the winner which does balance it out a bit.

I'm sorry but howwww is test cricket the winner when the ******* game was decided by a completely incorrect umpiring decision by a guy who couldn't tell if his own arse was on fire?!

That's like saying footy is the winner when Razor Ray inserts himself into the dying seconds of a grand final to award a dodgy free kick in front of goals to decide the game.

In my mind that will be remembered as a great game ruined by diabolical umpiring. The result has almost as big an asterix as England's "win" in the World Cup.

I'm sorry but howwww is test cricket the winner when the ******* game was decided by a completely incorrect umpiring decision by a guy who couldn't tell if his own arse was on fire?!

That's like saying footy is the winner when Razor Ray inserts himself into the dying seconds of a grand final to award a dodgy free kick in front of goals to decide the game.

In my mind that will be remembered as a great game ruined by diabolical umpiring. The result has almost as big an asterix as England's "win" in the World Cup.
Perhaps you should be pinning the blame on things that were in our control for the way the result ended up.

Its easy and convenient to blame the umpire first and foremost whilst ignoring the fact we threw a review away, botched 2 run outs, dropped a difficult catch, bowled rat s**t for large periods and were tactically poor throughout the day.

Of course we got the wrong end of the stick with the umpiring and yes it would have finished the game but we had multiple opportunities to do that ourselves over the past couple of days.

Apart from the well documented blunders, I also can’t understand why we continued to let Stokes take an easy single off the fifth ball of each over, and why we gave Stokes so many deliveries to get underneath. Should have been more wide yorkers, etc.

We ended up basically bowling length balls to Stokes 5/6 balls every over.
Paine has said he thought stokes would have finished sooner by hitting more boundaries if he brought the field in. Nevermind that it would have given us 6 potential balls to leach

It'll be remembered in history as a great game. Team skittled fot two parts of bugger all stages record chase to win with Stokes almost singlehandedly winning it off his own bat. A hooky lbw will be a footnote, you could easily argue we shouldn't haven't burned ours early by way of mitigation.

It'll be remembered in history as a great game. Team skittled fot two parts of bugger all stages record chase to win with Stokes almost singlehandedly winning it off his own bat. A hooky lbw will be a footnote, you could easily argue we shouldn't haven't burned ours early by way of mitigation.
He also set it up with the ball in our second innings with those important late wickets.

Crazy good all round effort

Happens literally every time we go to England. We’ll be on top, have the series on our terms, then everything implodes all at once. Dropped catches, missed run outs, appalling umpires, burning reviews only for it to bite us on the arse. England will win at least one of the remaining 2 and I think we’ll be cooked. That’s the way it goes every single time.

It's getting incredibly tiresome always being the ones on the other end of the result in these amazing games and having someone say "It's good for cricket". It just isn't anymore in this country. It's downright devastating.

Also in both his 5 wicket hauls, he’s gone for over 100 runs at more than 4 an over, he gets wickets because the batsman are smashing him all over the shop, eventually they get bored and fu** one up having already made plenty of runs

So one eyed it's a joke. In the 5 wicket game, England won the toss and batted on a batsman's paradise. Had he not taken half their wickets, God knows how many they would have made. In the 6 wicket game we again lost the toss but this time were sent in and our batsman could only muster a measly 60 runs. Let me guess that was Starc's fault too?

The first news report that comes up when you google the time period covering that game follows.

Nottingham, England It is time to board up the revolving door through which Mitch Starc came in and out of Australia's Test team for most of the first three years of his career. Of the dark clouds that hung over Australia's Ashes prospects given their first day performance and a bit of the fourth Test, even darker than the actual clouds over Trent Bridge, which seemed to paralyse their batsmen, the bowling of Starc was the silver lining.
Mitchell Starc holds the ball aloft after claiming his fifth wicket on day two of the fourth Test.
Mitchell Starc holds the ball aloft after claiming his fifth wicket on day two of the fourth Test.

The left-armer played virtually a lone hand in curbing England's mammoth first-innings lead,by halting the scoring the way he knows best – blasting out batsmen. Having taken three of the four English wickets to fall on day one, Starc replicated that in the first hour of day two to bring up the fourth five-wicket haul of his career, finishing with 6-111. The home side declared at 9-391 with 20 minutes to the break, giving them a lead of 331. The number of boundaries, 61, exceeded Australia's entire first-innings total.

England's Mark Wood is yorked by Starc.
England's Mark Wood is yorked by Starc.

Ever since Starc debuted in late 2011 against New Zealand it's been clear that while his best is very good his worst, which often accompanies the best, is very costly. What has changed is that the form Starc has so devastatingly shown in limited overs is now being replicated more regularly in Tests. The worst, the regular hit-me balls that are duly dispatched to the boundary, are still there, but they have to be excused because of the regularity of the unplayable – or near to unplayable – deliveries he produces around them, especially in this Ashes series. Starc's style of aggressively attacking the stumps can be costly when it delivers half volleys, yet his yorkers trouble even the elite batsmen, as was shown repeatedly through the World Cup.

The clearest example of Starc's strike threat is that just under half of his 73 Test wickets have been either bowled or leg before, a remarkably high proportion. Mitch Johnson, by contrast, has claimed just under a quarter of his wickets through that method. In the forensic analysis of what went wrong for Australia in this Ashes campaign and what must be done to remedy that, it could – and arguably should – be decided by selectors that when it comes to creating a bowling attack Starc, barring a dramatic form slump, has to be the first picked, and then complement him with bowlers economical enough to cover for the runs he leaks.

That is not to say it is the end of Johnson's career, but it could be that the more defensive role he adopted at Edgbaston could become the norm for him.
The main problem for Australia on the morning of day two was what happened around Starc.Nightwatchman Mark Wood treated Johnson with disdain in crunching 28 from 32 balls, while Moeen Ali (38 off 24) and Stuart Broad (24 not out off 29) did the same to Josh Hazlewood.

The bowling of Hazlewood was again unrecognisable from the home summer and from the series in the West Indies, adding weight to the theory that rather than Peter Siddle bolstering the Australian pace attack in place of Starc it should have been for Hazlewood. The incapability of the right-armer to build pressure in this series was brutally exemplified when Clarke brought him back for a seventh spell after drinks and he was plundered for 20 runs by Ali and Broad. Because Starc had been operating unchanged from the Pavilion End – his spell was at 10 overs when the declaration came – and neither Johnson nor Hazlewood could be trusted from the other end, the case for Clarke to take the second new ball was severely undermined.

Besides Starc, the only breakthroughs of the morning came when a poor Hazlewood delivery was tickled behind down the leg-side by Ben Stokes and Ali was spectacularly caught at second slip by Steve Smith, with one hand diving to his left.

I can't see any way we come back from this. It must be devastating bowling a team out for 67 and still losing. What hope is there if you can't even win from that position?

Back