Player Watch Trent McKenzie

Can someone gif McKenzie's kickout that went 5m to Hartlett, then Hartletts 5m kick that ended up being a turnover?

Such a waste of long kicks.
Hartlett and McKenzie have penetrating kicks. Doesn’t mean they’re hitting targets.

Hartlett and McKenzie have penetrating kicks. Doesn’t mean they’re hitting targets.
Imagine these guys kicking almost to the wing and one of the talls clunk a mark. Pretty much we are 1 kick away from half forward.

Imagine these guys kicking almost to the wing and one of the talls clunk a mark. Pretty much we are 1 kick away from half forward.
Its the dream but under Hinkley we use inaccurate long kicks to gain ground and force a stoppage so our shambling defence have time to push up and lock the ball in

I actually didn't mind McKenzie going in short to harlett, our kick outs are always go long just out past the point of the square, teams absolutely loved it all year.
It didn't work earlier because we had Ebert or Sutcliffe as a 3rd tall forward and Ryder who can't mark a thing as a 2nd tall, Also Dixon was injured.

Dixon, Frampton, Ladhams, Lycett and Hoff are great contested marks.

Jun 4, 2007
somewhere
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It didn't work earlier because we had Ebert or Sutcliffe as a 3rd tall forward and Ryder who can't mark a thing as a 2nd tall, Also Dixon was injured.

Dixon, Frampton, Ladhams, Lycett and Hoff are great contested marks.
I went to games where literally the opposition would run to the exact spot where the kick out was going to before any of our players, diabolical tactics

I don't want McKenzie on the list next year either, but in fairness to him he absolutely was hitting targets yesterday.

I'm not gonna talk down his game yesterday at all, it was excellent. But it was also too little too late.

David Puddy

All Australian
Aug 19, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm a bit torn on McKenzie.

Still not sure what his best role is and obviously has been around a while so doesn't have the age thing on his side.

However, it's just so nice as a Port fan to have someone in the team who can actually kick and hit a target. Not something you can say for 90% of our list.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So was Trent’s body finally right this year? It’s a real shame when a player with talent can’t stay on the park.

Played a ripper last game for Port by the look of it but has that form been seen consistently in the reserve grade?

It would be a pretty lethal combination off the half back line when paired with Sicily to kick over zones to the likes of TO, Patton & Lewis.

Seriously hope the Hawks get him on board if he is delisted. Adds firepower & a bit of flexibility to the list behind the ball.

He’d be a bit of a Ricky Henderson pick up for us I recon.

Will be interesting to see what happens with him next season. Two weeks ago I would've said automatic delist without a second thought but he's had two excellent games in a row since. Depending on how many we cut and what our draft pick situation looks like after trade week, maybe it is worth giving him another year over using a fourth rounder?

The definite moves on the senior list seem to be as follows:

Trade: Amon ( :( ), Ryder, S. Gray
Delist: AJ, Trengove
Upgrade: Ladhams

Leaves us with four picks. If we want to keep Lienert he'll have to be upgraded which would put us back to three.

Our first rounder, our second rounder plus Mead would do me from the draft this year personally. But if we trade anyone in or if Amon has a change of heart, then guys like Broadbent, McKenzie, Lienert and Mayes probably end up on the chopping block. My personal preference would be to chop Broadbent from those four, but our selections this year indicate that Ken sees it differently.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm still not sure about keeping McKenzie, but I have mellowed a bit on him from when I thought he would/should be one of the first to be delisted at the end of this season.

His kick is definitely a weapon and he may be fitter now than he has been for quite some time, but he is way undersized to play at the top level in anything but a flanker's role, particularly given our two regular key defenders in Clurey and Jonas are both lacking a tad in the height department as well.

Granny Duurs is Lovely

All Australian
Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Should be nowhere near our list. Played well in a dead rubber. Zero intensity. Still staggered we didnt get another game into Garner or Howard.

He was consistently in the best at sanfl level and then delivered when given the chance (and again in the sanfl final). Suggests he should've been given the chance earlier rather than forcing Hoff into our extra defender.

ROBBBO

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
re-sign.

Id be surprised if he isnt the Maggies B&F

Visenfest

Chasing stability
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not going to be angry if we lose him, but my preference is to keep him. I'd be getting rid of a player such as Broadbent first.

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
If/ when Amon is traded, I’d move Bonner to the wing and McKenzie to the back flank/pocket.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If/ when Amon is traded, I’d move Bonner to the wing and McKenzie to the back flank/pocket.

Bonner shouldn't be in the 22 unless his ability to hit targets and to at least pretend to defend. At the moment he is like 2014 Polec without the ability to hit targets.

There are a few options vying for back flank/pocket and right now McKenzie would be in the first 22. Finally looks like his body might be right.

Bonner shouldn't be in the 22 unless his ability to hit targets and to at least pretend to defend. At the moment he is like 2014 Polec without the ability to hit targets.

There are a few options vying for back flank/pocket and right now McKenzie would be in the first 22. Finally looks like his body might be right.

I’m glad he’s got his body right and it’s working for him at SANFL level and in dead rubbers at AFL level.

But if we’re talking about keeping McKenzie mostly because we think he might now be in our first choice back 6 then we have a serious problem of perspective.

Jonas, Clurey, Howard/Westhoff, Garner, Bonner, DBJ.

Plenty of bigger issues to sort before choosing between Broady or Trent as depth.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m glad he’s got his body right and it’s working for him at SANFL level and in dead rubbers at AFL level.

But if we’re talking about keeping McKenzie mostly because we think he might now be in our first choice back 6 then we have a serious problem of perspective.

Plenty of bigger issues to sort before choosing between Broady or Trent as depth.

He is good depth player as well as handy to work with Grundy, Garner and Fredrick in the Maggies as they develop.

agmsy

All Australian
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Maybe I've misunderstood, but are you talking about our first choice back six, or a back six that includes Jonas and Bonner, because they are very different things.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

So you don't have Burton or Hartlett in our first choice back 6?

Probably you are right. Competition for small/mid defenders is at a premium which is why I would like some of them to be tried in other areas of the ground. I'd like to see Burton go forward or on a wing. I don't believe Bonner does enough to be in the first 22. He needs to go back to the Magpies, toughen up and learn to hit good targets by hand and foot.

So you don't have Burton or Hartlett in our first choice back 6?

Probably you are right. Competition for small/mid defenders is at a premium which is why I would like some of them to be tried in other areas of the ground. I'd like to see Burton go forward or on a wing. I don't believe Bonner does enough to be in the first 22. He needs to go back to the Magpies, toughen up and learn to hit good targets by hand and foot.

Very good points.

The two omissions, my bad.

Pushes Trent even further back.

Bonner is 22 and with a sometimes dodgy bit of run along with a long kick has more chance of establishing himself than Trent has at 28.

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
I would have Trent over 2019 version of Jonas every day of the week!

If Jonas wasn’t our “captain” I would * him off completely!

Back