Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember a few months ago it was mentioned on radio that if a player does a hammy 3 times in a year then there are grave concerns by the medicos on a player ever getting over it for the rest of his career.
Nevous Times ahead for Cotch & Club.

That's pretty much what I'm worried about. Hopefully the above poster was right and they used it as an excuse to spend a little bit of extra time with his young family. But I'm more than a little wary. He had some soft tissue injuries when he was first starting too.

Cotch cleared but Hardwick in hot water

By Abe Atup

Updated 31 minutes ago

Richmond premiership captain Trent Cotchin has been cleared of unauthorised distribution of game-day tickets but coach Damien Hardwick now faces investigation.

The AFL's integrity department cleared Cotchin, who printed tickets for a fan after the Punt Road reception desk was left unattended. At the same time, journalist and AFLW star Daisy Pearce arrived for an interview with the Tigers' president, Peggy O'Neal.

It emerged at the enquiry that it was not the first the first time that Pearce arrived at an unattended Tiger HQ. In June, Pearce was greeted by Hardwick, who made the journalist a coffee as she waited for O'Neal.

This coffee, however, could land the Tiger coach in hot water. After Collingwood premiership player Heritier Lumumba (formerly known as Harry O'Brien) met then Demons coach Paul Roos for coffee, the AFL passed the obscure "Harry's Law", which prevents AFL coaching staff meeting for coffee with players from rival clubs.

Hardwick confessed that he was aware of the rule but that it hadn't occurred to him at the time that he had broken it by making Pearce a coffee.

"It was all rather embarrasing, really. I remember it well because it had to be a black coffee because 'Broady' [Richmond premership player Nathan Broad] had drunk all the milk," Hardwick said, before adding "I wasn't even able to offer her a biscuit because we'd moved all the biscuits to the annex to help 'Bach' [Richmond premership player Bachir Houli] through Ramadan."

Asked if he was concerned about the prospect of a one-match ban, which could see him miss the first week of the Tigers' finals campaign, Hardwick was philosophical. "It is what it is," he said.

Hardwick would not be drawn on the possibility, raised by North Melbourne premiership captain Wayne Carey, that Hardwick may be able to serve the one-week ban in the E.J. Whitten "Legends" charity match, which is slated for the bye week prior the AFL finals.

More to come.
That cannot be true!

By Abe Atup

Updated 31 minutes ago

Richmond premiership captain Trent Cotchin has been cleared of unauthorised distribution of game-day tickets but coach Damien Hardwick now faces investigation.

The AFL's integrity department cleared Cotchin, who printed tickets for a fan after the Punt Road reception desk was left unattended. At the same time, journalist and AFLW star Daisy Pearce arrived for an interview with the Tigers' president, Peggy O'Neal.

It emerged at the enquiry that it was not the first the first time that Pearce arrived at an unattended Tiger HQ. In June, Pearce was greeted by Hardwick, who made the journalist a coffee as she waited for O'Neal.

This coffee, however, could land the Tiger coach in hot water. After Collingwood premiership player Heritier Lumumba (formerly known as Harry O'Brien) met then Demons coach Paul Roos for coffee, the AFL passed the obscure "Harry's Law", which prevents AFL coaching staff meeting for coffee with players from rival clubs.

Hardwick confessed that he was aware of the rule but that it hadn't occurred to him at the time that he had broken it by making Pearce a coffee.

"It was all rather embarrasing, really. I remember it well because it had to be a black coffee because 'Broady' [Richmond premership player Nathan Broad] had drunk all the milk," Hardwick said, before adding "I wasn't even able to offer her a biscuit because we'd moved all the biscuits to the annex to help 'Bach' [Richmond premership player Bachir Houli] through Ramadan."

Asked if he was concerned about the prospect of a one-match ban, which could see him miss the first week of the Tigers' finals campaign, Hardwick was philosophical. "It is what it is," he said.

Hardwick would not be drawn on the possibility, raised by North Melbourne premiership captain Wayne Carey, that Hardwick may be able to serve the one-week ban in the E.J. Whitten "Legends" charity match, which is slated for the bye week prior the AFL finals.

More to come.

Can they meet for a hot chocolate instead?

Collingwood already preparing a scenario where Pendle’s finds Damian Barrett trying to get into their office - lets him in and offers to clean his glasses.

“Pendle’s is such a great bloke” headline follows....

POTY. Fukn lol

By Abe Atup

Updated 31 minutes ago

More to come.
Surely this is just bullshit

By Abe Atup

Updated 31 minutes ago

More to come.
You had me til I read the journalist

Was a little rusty today but some classic skip. moments regardless.
Rewind to his clearance on the outer wing with just over 1 minute to go in the 3rd, leading to Lambert’s goal....
A thing of absolute beauty. ❤

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So glad he made it through the game, it’ll take a big effort from the fitness staff to continue working on him over the week off. We need to ensure we improve his fitness but can not afford to overwork him.

Cotchin at full fitness and being able to get some finals form would be massive for our Premiership chances.

Would you play him for a half in the VFL? I would
I wouldn’t, I think the Sydney Stack injury shown the potential that comes with playing someone to gain fitness.

No doubt he needs to improve his fitness base but we’ll have to back out staff in to do this through training over the next fortnight.

When we were losing control they seemed to move Cotch into the middle, and he regained control. Legend

Definitely seemed to be managing him but when the game was up for grabs they unleashed him in that 3rd qtr and he went full beast mode

Would you play him for a half in the VFL? I would

I was thinking the same thing.

The Sydney Stack incident was unlucky would love to see him go into first final fully ready to go.

BTW - cant find on VFL website next weeks VFL games. Does anyone know what they are.

Edit. (put in a little more effort and found it) . Will be there.

Definitely seemed to be managing him but when the game was up for grabs they unleashed him in that 3rd qtr and he went full beast mode

He just took control of the game when he went into the middle. Absolutely a dominant player when he hits beast mode. And BEAT MODE is what Captain Cotch does come September.

I think they really played him up forward while the pace of the game was high (first half), and then played him through the middle a bit more in the second half. I think it was all totally pre-planned, rather than 'unleashing' him.

took it fairly easy yesterday with limited stints in the middle, but boy oh boy did he impact when he was in there

so happy hes back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back