Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

No Brownlow. Will have to share too many votes with Dunkley and Macrae.
I suspect this is right. Also we didn't win enough games (who won seems to determine whether the individual played well or not :mad:). The Brownlow used to be considered the crowning individual achievement in a player's career. It's still talked about in those terms by the media and the AFL.

However it's tarnished in my mind by the heavy influence of the media, seldom comes from a club outside the 8 and is mostly just for midfielders. But to be fair just about all the best player awards favour midfielders now, not just the Brownlow. Maybe it's the way the modern game is played.

I'll be very happy if Bont could win one but I reckon the AFLCA award and maybe even the AFLPA award are a truer testament to a player's season.

It's a mystery to me how the media can come out after a game and say "That's 3 Brownlow votes to (insert player's name)" and it turns out that's the case. Do umpires still go straight to their room and cast their vote?

Also, you can't tell me the AFL don't know who's going to win before the night, but the votes are supposedly locked away, right?

Has anyone ever won who hasn't been invited to the night? (I don't mean unable to come)

I suspect this is right. Also we didn't win enough games (who won seems to determine whether the individual played well or not :mad:). The Brownlow used to be considered the crowning individual achievement in a player's career. It's still talked about in those terms by the media and the AFL.

However it's tarnished in my mind by the heavy influence of the media, seldom comes from a club outside the 8 and is mostly just for midfielders. But to be fair just about all the best player awards favour midfielders now, not just the Brownlow. Maybe it's the way the modern game is played.

I'll be very happy if Bont could win one but I reckon the AFLCA award and maybe even the AFLPA award are a truer testament to a player's season.
This was really apparent in 2014. Robbie Gray rightfully won the AFLCA, but then Priddis (a workhorse midfielder) won the Brownlow. When only a third of players are eligible for the award in the first place (read: midfielders only) it really stops the credibility of calling it the award for the fairest and best

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Franklin has been either the best player in the game or the second best since 2005, he's never gotten close to winning a brownlow. despite that, the system has never been reviewed. it's a joke

It's a mystery to me how the media can come out after a game and say "That's 3 Brownlow votes to (insert player's name)" and it turns out that's the case. Do umpires still go straight to their room and cast their vote?

Also, you can't tell me the AFL don't know who's going to win before the night, but the votes are supposedly locked away, right?

Has anyone ever won who hasn't been invited to the night? (I don't mean unable to come)

I always just thought that either they notified the winner or notified the top 5 (or whatever number) of top finishers so that they could prepare speeches, and potentially not get shitfaced before they receive the award and have to speak. They also wouldn't want to risk a winner not being present.

I always just thought that either they notified the winner or notified the top 5 (or whatever number) of top finishers so that they could prepare speeches, and potentially not get s**tfaced before they receive the award and have to speak. They also wouldn't want to risk a winner not being present.
I think Brayshaw's 3rd place finish last year without an invite might prove that to be incorrect.

I always just thought that either they notified the winner or notified the top 5 (or whatever number) of top finishers so that they could prepare speeches, and potentially not get s**tfaced before they receive the award and have to speak. They also wouldn't want to risk a winner not being present.
Brayshaw came third a couple of years ago and didn't even score an invite to the night.

I think Brayshaw's 3rd place finish last year without an invite might prove that to be incorrect.

If it is true that they really have no idea who's going to win then I hope one time the winner is absent. Imagine having to facetime in a brownlow speech.

Yes and for that reason I reckon Cripps or Fyfe are up there.
The whole votes stealing theory is a bit of a myth. Barrel, Ablett, Judd (at west coast) cousins, akermanis, black, Dane Swan have all won Brownlows in elite midfields.

When do the coaches votes get released? Or have I missed them

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Franklin has been either the best player in the game or the second best since 2005, he's never gotten close to winning a brownlow. despite that, the system has never been reviewed. it's a joke
Actually he was pretty close in 2008, although suspended.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back