Roast Gillon Mclachlan - Get rid of this tool, please

Remove this Banner Ad

What tool would best describe Gil?

A cheap electric screwdriver that over-tightens a screw, then reads a critical media article so panics and loosens the screw.... But loosens it too far, so tightens again....and so on until the thread is completely gone and you've just completely ****** what you were trying to fix.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
A cheap electric screwdriver that over-tightens a screw, then reads a critical media article so panics and loosens the screw.... But loosens it too far, so tightens again....and so on until the thread is completely gone and you've just completely ****** what you were trying to fix.

I think he is a cheap adjustable spanner.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Yeah they should identify games they know probably won't draw huge crowds and shut the top deck and open the bottom levels to GA.

Melb v Syd last week the perfect chance

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Havent read all the thread but just on this point i hate hate hate watching footy at ground level. Im a 50m line fwd flank top deck watcher at any ground i go to.

maskmcgee

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2017
The Windy Apple
AFL Club
Essendon
"It's pretty binary, the outcome. If you're a sponsor, you're paying for the 22 rounds and the 22 matches for that exposure. If you're a member with an 11-game pass … if you get less, you will pay less.

"… there is a theory of 'better', but you are still going to lose on aggregate, attendance, ratings, crowd."

Just accept less for the good of the game, you may take a financial hit for a few years.

MORE DOES NOT EQUAL BETTER!!!!
How dumb are you and the 5 idiots that liked this post? Who the * wants fewer games? What the * is wrong with you? Nobody wants less games you ******* moron, it's got nothing to do with money.

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
Gill the Dill is a Polo loving, Au pair using, chardonnay sipping, social climbing, brown nosing, boys club enabling buffoon who is only interested in looking in the mirror and basking in his own self assessed magnificence.

Jason for PM.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Havent read all the thread but just on this point i hate hate hate watching footy at ground level. Im a 50m line fwd flank top deck watcher at any ground i go to.
It does give you a better view of the game but I feel like the noise is very quiet up there. Cant be very little atmosphere even with a decent crowd.

But my post was mainly about the look of the game. Looks a lot better with packed stands rather than spread everywhere

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yep, the AFL has twisted themselves in so many knots that they are throwing money at clubs to counter their pro Melbourne bias.

Its stupid, because there is no problem if four teams are culled from Melbourne. Players will go to clubs outside of Melbourne, but not when the AFL props up clubs like Carlton and Saints, allowing them to draft and purchase players they can't recruit and can't afford otherwise.

So don't bitch about the interstate clubs getting a leg up please.

Didn’t Geelong get $70 million of taxpayer dollars and $4 million from the AFL for your new stadium ?.

If you give all that back I will sign your petition.

andon

Team Captain
Jul 26, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
The most important thing the AFL can do is ensure the public continues to go to the football.

The AFL business model is very fragile indeed, its based more than ever on digital financial contracts with aging subscription agreements using old technology providers and platforms.

Global digital communications technology could obsolete their current model at any time, and we all know NO ONE can control global streaming and related technologies no matter how they try.

So if the general football public decide its too hard to find parking, its too cold, or they cant afford the Myky cost for the family, or more probable the game has become too expensive to take the family, then many will stay home and watch whatever game is being played using 5g on their laptop and a hdmi cable connected to their 75 inch TV.

Also important is the AFL must show absolute integrity, honesty, fairness, and ensure the fixture, the rewards, and the adjudication is beyond reproach.

No club in the AFL should have a better fixture, or play more games at a superior venue than any other team/club.

No club should earn more from playing at an exclusive venue that generates more income based on size or revenue earnings.

Go through the match game day and post blogs and sadly there are many questioning the integrity of umpiring, fixtures, and the administration itself.

Trust is now a very real issue for all sport and the AFL is very much under scrutiny of fans.

The Rampe goal shake incident will remain in most fair minded fans for a long time, it has impacted trust at a time when trust is paramount to the integrity sporting establishments around the globe and to the AFL.

If the fans stop going to games, the TV rights will not save the game.

The AFL must protect the roots of the game while ensuring the price reflects the average persons ability to afford to take their family.

Corporate boxes, live streaming, sponsorchip or TV rights will not save the AFL if the fans stop attending games.

St Kilda, Western Bulldogs, Carlton, Essendon, North Melbourne deserve the same opportunites as Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne, Hawthorn

Rotate the clubs with all playing the same number of games at MCG and Docklands, so there is no home ground advantage come finals time.

Pedantic

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Its probably as much money going to grassroots as there is money donated actually going to the charities. They line their own pockets/needs first and the grassroots get the shiny silver coins at the end.
The AFL gives $5.76 per Auskick player to the grassroots clubs that run the program.

TwiggleyFanClub

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If Coniglio is an ambassador than at least he’ll be required to go to clinics and promote the game. All that I hope is it’s more than what Chris Judd got to be a clerical officer for Visy back in the day.

Im sure you’ve promised Cogs far more than the AFL signed off on for Judd.
Luckily Judd came over pre-GWS. Otherwise you would have put the squeeze on to head up north and paid his whole contract with your black ops money.

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
How would cheaper tickets be in the interests of:

- players who want to be paid more?
- clubs who want more revenue to be able to be more competitive
- a competition who wants revenue to support grass roots footy and women’s expansion.

For example, imagine if Qantas were running the AFL, you and I (as supporters of big teams that fill stadiums) would be paying more for tickets than followers of ‘off peak’ teams.
I think expensive tickets can turn people off the game and make it hard to attract new fans. Thus in the long term being bad for club and AFL revenue.

I also think you want to prioritise just getting fans to the games rather than getting heaps of revenue from tickets. More people going to games will have flow on effects.

Also it looks better on tv when crowds are fuller

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Gil will be holding up the attendance figures and patting himself on the back for his marketing genius.

Steve Jobs of sports!

As though without his master business skills the game would still be as popular as field hockey in the 1980s.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
"It's pretty binary, the outcome. If you're a sponsor, you're paying for the 22 rounds and the 22 matches for that exposure. If you're a member with an 11-game pass … if you get less, you will pay less.

"… there is a theory of 'better', but you are still going to lose on aggregate, attendance, ratings, crowd."

Just accept less for the good of the game, you may take a financial hit for a few years.

MORE DOES NOT EQUAL BETTER!!!!

So this guy considers binary to be - 1 what you got now, or 2 every other option. Repeating myself here but this is the worst CEO the AFL has ever had and I have some serious questions about his intelligence.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s pretty ridiculous that clubs have been around 100 odd years and have less than 50000 members

To give it context though, there was never any great push to sign members until the Ross Oakley days when membership numbers then became an existential matter for clubs. Before that members were only the real die hards who would give their money to their club. It's a transaction now.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
At least with Andy D he was a leader not a follower. Gil gets pushed around by everyone. Case in point Eddie and the Stephenson gambling suspension.
For me Obese Andy still has questions to answer about the Essendon scandal and for a man who loved the limelight before he's gone to ground.There a lot of questions that Bombers fans would like to ask him as well.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
For me Obese Andy still has questions to answer about the Essendon scandal and for a man who loved the limelight before he's gone to ground.There a lot of questions that Bombers fans would like to ask him as well.

Gil has a lot of questions to answer too - you are going to be waiting a while for any answers from anyone involved in that coverup (EFC and AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back