Play Nice 2019 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

has sokkahtwitter ever tried to lynch you for merely reporting their rubbish ratings?

someone has a crack every other weekend lol. not just soccer folks - league folks who think im all afl, afl folks who think im not afl enough, union folks who think i forget about them....

This is sad.

One of the greatest days in Australian basketball history and it was hidden away on an SBS multichannel. I watched 90% of the game (flicking between that and the footy anyway), but that's only because I saw it had started on my twitter feed. Otherwise I would have assumed it was played at night.

My most interesting take out of that was that more A league supporters voted than any other group, noting that I voted in both A league and AFL.

I think it was retweeted more by A-league fans than any other group

For the most part, they are the group most convinced that it's THEIR sport impacted by streaming to the greatest degree.

With Fox ratings as low as 10k for some games, it's tempting to imagine that the total ratings inclusive of streaming must be double or triple that number (of course, even if that were the case, it would still represent a miserable number).

someone has a crack every other weekend lol. not just soccer folks - league folks who think im all afl, afl folks who think im not afl enough, union folks who think i forget about them....
When you present FACTS some people struggle with that as it doesn't suit their agenda that everything in the garden is Rosey.
As we know certain posters live in a bubble and struggle with the truth.

For the most part, they are the group most convinced that it's THEIR sport impacted by streaming to the greatest degree.

With Fox ratings as low as 10k for some games, it's tempting to imagine that the total ratings inclusive of streaming must be double or triple that number (of course, even if that were the case, it would still represent a miserable number).

To be honest, that's why I was surprised that the proportions ended up so similar to the other AFL and NRL

To be honest, that's why I was surprised that the proportions ended up so similar to the other AFL and NRL
Thinking fans of one sport are inherently different than fans of other sports is doomed to fail imop. Given the relatively small sample sizes, most of the differences in the survey would be well within error limits (given not all options where the same for all groups). So not only are they similar, you have no real basis on the figures for saying there is any difference at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thinking fans of one sport are inherently different than fans of other sports is doomed to fail imop. Given the relatively small sample sizes, most of the differences in the survey would be well within error limits (given not all options where the same for all groups). So not only are they similar, you have no real basis on the figures for saying there is any difference at all.

No doubt about that. I thought though that a league fans convinced they are behaving differently may have skewed the results.

What the results certainly suggest is that a league fans are disproportionately engaged with wookies Twitter activity

1. Channel 9 WWOS 4. 9.19

Channel 9 RL host, J. Bracey, states "...Channel 9 obviously (my emphasis) believes extra teams in the competition is not healthy for rugby league, at least at this stage...but a new Brisbane team seems inevitable...".

This was in reference to Ch. 9 Director Of Sport, T. Malone's, recent controversial comments that Brisbane should have a 2nd NRL team; & that the NRL should CUT 1 team, elsewhere (Most assume Malone was referring to a Sydney club/s).

2. Has an executive from Ch. 9 specifically stated it does not want the NRL to expand beyond 16 teams?
T. Malone said "In a perfect world, you would probably have one or two less (existing- my word) teams".

Can one assume that Ch. 9 employee, J. Bracey, has some reliable, internal information that Ch. 9 does NOT want the NRL comp. to expand beyond 16 teams soon after 2022?
A. Johns, B. Fittler & P. Gallen have also recently stated, on Ch.9, that the NRL should not expand beyond 16 NRL clubs ("less kids playing RL"; NRL quality/standards would drop, due to lack of depth).

Many RL experts have argued strongly that it would be beneficial for the NRL (which made a profit of c. $45,000,000 in y/e 2018) to expand to Perth- population c. 2,300,000; & offering a new, valuable TV time slot eg early Sunday evenings AEST. This, also, should appeal strongly to Ch. 9, as it offers a good increase in Ratings.

Does Ch. 9 actually seek two current NRL clubs to relocate; or multiple clubs to merge in Sydney?

Will there be "an uneasy relationship" between Ch.9 & the NRL?

3. Foxtel's executives have not publicly expressed their views whether the NRL should expand beyond 16 NRL clubs.

Foxsports 2.9.19 G. Clarke

These Fox commentators are suggesting that the most obvious clubs to be at risk of merger/relocation are Cronulla & Gold Coast, closely followed by Manly.
M.Geyer states KPI's are needed, &"...one of the Sydney clubs will die of natural attrition...".

4. The Daily Telegraph's P. Rothfield argues that "killing off" a Sydney NRL club will damage RL, & allow other codes to expand in Sydney.

(behind a paywall- can anyone open it?)

It appears likely that the issue of NRL teams merging and/or relocating will be a constant, "red hot" theme until 2021.

Last edited:
No doubt about that. I thought though that a league fans convinced they are behaving differently may have skewed the results.

What the results certainly suggest is that a league fans are disproportionately engaged with wookies Twitter activity

See a bit of disproportionate engagement here particularly when dealing with the A-League.

Last edited:
9Gem lands a 12.7% audience share on Sunday night as Nine broadcasts its final Ashes Test

Nine’s multi-channel 9Gem delivered a sizeable 12.7% audience share on Sunday night thanks to day four of the fifth, and final, Ashes Test which brought 593,000 metro viewers to the network for session one, pushing it above both Ten and the ABC.

It’s the last time a Test will air on Nine, ending a run that’s been going since 1979, with the network switching to the tennis rights and Seven landing the cricket.

Not a bad finale for 9 - where to now?

9Gem lands a 12.7% audience share on Sunday night as Nine broadcasts its final Ashes Test

Nine’s multi-channel 9Gem delivered a sizeable 12.7% audience share on Sunday night thanks to day four of the fifth, and final, Ashes Test which brought 593,000 metro viewers to the network for session one, pushing it above both Ten and the ABC.

It’s the last time a Test will air on Nine, ending a run that’s been going since 1979, with the network switching to the tennis rights and Seven landing the cricket.

Not a bad finale for 9 - where to now?
I remember back in 2005 when the Ashes were shipped off to SBS because no FTA wanted them. Fair to say that won't happen again.

It what annoys me with CA and with its lack of engagement with lesser cricket nations. A stronger international scene equals a stronger sport here.

As for what now. Nine will sell the hell out of the up-coming ATP Cup in Australia before the Aus Open. That has recently announced all the big names to play in it. (Fed, Nadal, Nole). I wonder if the general public will get around that more than previous warm-up tournaments. Nine still have the 2020 T20 World Cup rights and the 2023 world cup rights, so they are not out of cricket still.

7 has a difficult summer coming up with the Australian team over in India during Jan and no India or England touring. They also still have Wimbledon next year as well, but they have wanted to move on Wimbledon to 9 previously.

I don't think anyone mentioned this in this thread, buy SBS is basically the new home of Basketball in this country. They have the NBL and now the NBA. It will be interesting if those sports and leagues continue to grow. We might be on the verge of a new golden age of basketball in this country.

While I am here. Something very different. US Open ratings from the US. Serena Williams is box office.

The Western Sydney Wanderers officially opened Stage 1 of the club’s Centre of Football this morning.

The Wanderers Centre of Football at Blacktown features three elite training pitches housing the club’s elite men’s, women’s and academy teams, Westfield W-League and Hyundai A-League designated changerooms. physiotherapy, state-of-the-art gymnasium, offices and media centre.

A product of the vision of the Wanderers ownership group, Paul Lederer, Glenn Duncan and Jefferson Cheng, Director David Slade and CEO John Tsatsimas, the Wanderers Centre of Football will be one of the biggest club sports facilities in the country.

Bit on the commercial side in The Aus
A-League club Western Sydney Wanderers will build a retail precinct to underpin its $30m training and community precinct in Sydney’s Blacktown, becoming one of a handful of Australian sporting clubs to generate commercial revenue streams.

Speaking of the A-League, one wouldn't know the new season is just over 3 weeks away observing the general media. Very little publicity gong on, new team and all.

More about sports franchises seeking out commercial arrangements beyond sponsorship:

Melbourne Storm will launch their own branded home loan and personal loan service on Thursday to become one of the first sporting clubs in Australia to offer members access to financial products.
The Storm, which lost to the Canberra Raiders in the first week of the NRL finals series last weekend, is launching Storm Money in partnership with the private My Local Broker, and will also offer car financing solutions.

My Local Broker will be the funder of the loans, and it and the Storm will share commissions from deals brokered on behalf of Storm members through a dedicated online portal. The club also plans to extend the offerings to retail, small business and commercial loans.

Storm chief executive Dave Donaghy said the concept arose from a survey of the club’s 25,000 members this year about their financial priorities.

“We looked at our sponsorship portfolio and found we had a gap in the banking sector,” Mr Donaghy said.

“So we asked our members questions like how many had home loans and whether they would be looking to switch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back