Recommitted Jake Carlisle [triggered an extension for 2020]

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
From two weeks ago

Jake Carlisle has pledged his future to St Kilda after finally ticking off a games-based clause that will see him handed a contract for 2020 worth around $600,000 a season.
Carlisle’s intercept marking in the final quarter of St Kilda’s last-gasp win over Fremantle was so commanding Dockers coach Ross Lyon singled it out post-match.

He will play his 48th game for the Saints against Carlton on Saturday afternoon at the MCG, fulfilling a requirement that will automatically see him extending his contract.

The 27-year-old is open to a contract extension with St Kilda over summer that would secure his future to the club long-term.

The former Essendon star missed a season with the club’s peptides-based suspension but can see how much promise there is at Moorabbin.

“We are trying to take as much as we possibly out of the season. Individually I have got a game to go and would love to get it next week, but we will wait and see if I get picked and go from there.

“Carlton next week and Sydney the week after and hopefully can get two more wins and see what happens.”

Carlisle has formed a strong marking combination with Josh Battle and rookie pick Callum Wilkie and believes the club can push hard for finals next year.

“This is my fourth year at the club and I chose this club ahead of anyone else and I think we have got enough games into the players who have played together. We have played together for three or four years now and to be great you have got to have that,” he said.

“You can’t just have high end talent and old guys, you need to play together and have chemistry so I feel like we are doing that and we are just building towards where we want to get to.”

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Career suddenly floundering after a career-best season in 2018.

Will be 28 years old by the time next season starts. Hard to guage his worth at this point TBH. Has shown at times that he has the tools to be an elite CHB, but also seems a bit injury prone and a bit of a headcase as well.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon

Will be 28 years old by the time next season starts. Hard to guage his worth at this point TBH. Has shown at times that he has the tools to be an elite CHB, but also seems a bit injury prone and a bit of a headcase as well.

He’s a bloody good key back. Will attract plenty of interest from clubs who need one.

Have you always thought that or only this year? Because I often thought at Essendon he looked like that, and not just in his last year either when he said he was going. I think he just has a sooky attitude.
This year for sure. Always finger pointing like BJ etc just part of his personality IMO

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How does the trigger clause work. Does that mean the instance he hits it that he’s contracted again or does it just mean if he chooses to stay that he has to be paid the amount agreed upon.

Feel as though saints are clearing the decks for B.King. Not sure saints get a great return though if they are putting him on the table.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
He’s a bloody good key back. Will attract plenty of interest from clubs who need one.

Look, when he's "on", he's great. The question is whether he will be "on", week to week and year to year. And given he's going to be a 28-year-old senior player, rather than a 22-year-old "gonna be", you expect more consistency and reliability if you're bringing them in or locking them in to a big money deal.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
There's an article to go with it published in the last 20 minutes and probably written by McClure, but I've used up my free articles and can't open it.

Saints star Jake Carlisle on the trade table - The Age

Anything meaningful in there?
St Kilda star Jake Carlisle is on the trade table.

Carlisle's manager Anthony McConville told The Age he will meet St Kilda's general manager of football Simon Lethlean and list manager James Gallagher this week to discuss Carlisle's future.
Jake Carlisle crossed to St Kilda from Essendon after the 2015 season.

After reaching a trigger in his deal to grant him another year at the Saints, both parties will publicly maintain he's likely to remain a Saint. And that may still happen if there are no other suitors for the 27-year-old.

But sources familiar with Carlilse's contract talks have told The Age that both the Saints and Carlisle will consider offers from other clubs if and when they are forthcoming.

McConville, managing director of Mac's Sports, said he believes his client still has a future at the Saints.

"I'll be meeting with both Simon and James this week to gauge our appetite to extend his contract and if that's healthy for them and it's healthy for us then that's great," McConville said.

"Obviously he's missed a lot of football this season and to get back from his back injury was a remarkable effort, when you consider the timeline.

"I believe he's got an enormous amount of value to the St Kilda Football Club going into their future."

St Kilda have been contacted for comment.

Carlisle flies for the footy.

Carlisle has had a season to forget, missing the first half of the season following back surgery, an issue that has followed the defender since his days at Essendon.

The complex procedure saw surgeons relieve pressure on a nerve in his lower back caused by a disc protrusion.
Carlisle could have had the surgery in his early 20s when playing at Essendon, or in 2016 during his season away from football, following the supplements saga.

Despite returning for the last ten games of the season, Carlisle has looked a shadow of his former self, averaging just 11 disposals, compared to his previous two seasons at the Saints when he averaged 16.

As reported by The Age in May, Carlisle needed to play nine games in the second half of the season to reach the trigger for 2020.

But both parties believe that now is the time to part ways if they can find an appropriate suitor.

If Carlisle is to leave in the upcoming trade period, the Saints will be on the lookout for another key defender.

Nathan Brown is about to turn 31 and Dylan Roberton's career remains at the crossroads with an ongoing heart condition.

The potential departure of Carlisle would be seen as the beginning of a list overhaul by the Saints under a new coach, likely to be current caretaker Brett Ratten.

Four time best-and-fairest winner Jack Steven seems likely to join Geelong in the trade period, although his value is difficult to decipher given his mental health issues this season and the fact that he'll be 30 by the start of next season.

Brad Hill will join the club on a long-term deal as long as St Kilda and Fremantle can negotiate a trade, another difficult situation for the Saints given the three-time premiership player has two years left on his contract at the Dockers.

The Saints are also desperate for help in the ruck, to assist the emerging Rowan Marshall, who has arguably been the revelation of the season across the league.

dogspur

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Surely the Bulldogs would be falling over themselves if he was realistically gettable.

Is EXACTLY the type of player they need.
No?

We were linked to him when he left your mob, but ultimately didn't chase.

J_Rod

Team Captain
May 16, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

Floundering? He's coming back from back surgery.. He was fantastic last year and will be next year if he gets a full pre season.
Personally, I'd prefer we keep him and concentrate on mids. I don't think Clavarino is ready yet and Jake is a much better player than Marsh.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Yes but last time we didn’t want a bar of him. Rumoured the interviewing process didn’t go down to well when he wanted out of the bombers

Interesting to see if that has changed.
When he left at the end of 2015 he was a young man (23-24yo) who had been through 3 years of footballing hell.

Dont blame him personally for being a difficult character at the time. I imagine you would be getting a far different (more mature) person 4 years later

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
When he left at the end of 2015 he was a young man (23-24yo) who had been through 3 years of footballing hell.

Dont blame him personally for being a difficult character at the time. I imagine you would be getting a far different (more mature) person 4 years later

Absolutely things could change.

Especially now we have been linked to his mate Bruce.

Jan 26, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne United
What are the Saints thinking? their only decent defender and they want to trade him lols or Essendon get Jake back means we can leave hooker permanently forward

Wilkie and Battle have both had excellent seasons. I'm against trading him though/

Back