Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

It always seems to be the plan that if anyone is any good at what they do, they will play midfield one day.

Im pretty happy with where he is right now and if he can become an even better forward, why not stay there?
The midfield is the only place you can impact the game nearly 100% of the game. Being able to play both up forward and through the midfield is invaluable in the modern game though.

Small forwards are pretty important, but in the end it’s a position filled by players who are simply too small to play midfield, or up and coming youngsters. You do see exceptions like Robbie Gray or Isaac Heeney last week, but it’s one of those things where if the midfield isn’t on top they’ll be rotated.

It’s also a matter of do you really want your star player to have no impact for half the game while just waiting for the ball to come into the forward line?

In the end its up to the coaches and players to know whether someone is needed more up forward or through the middle and it probably changes every minute of a game

It’s also a matter of do you really want your star player to have no impact for half the game while just waiting for the ball to come into the forward line?

Does that really happen in the modern game? Forwards will always go looking for it if the territory battle is being lost. In that situation it's fair enough that he get some midfield experience.

I guess I'm just thinking that we have a player that knows where the goals are and I'd be very wary of taking him away from that role for too long. Lord knows we need players with a good goal sense.

Is Robbie Gray a more effective mid or a more effective forward? Hard to say. If Rozee has that amount of talent then we'd be pretty lucky.

Does that really happen in the modern game? Forwards will always go looking for it if the territory battle is being lost. In that situation it's fair enough that he get some midfield experience.

I guess I'm just thinking that we have a player that knows where the goals are and I'd be very wary of taking him away from that role for too long. Lord knows we need players with a good goal sense.

Is Robbie Gray a more effective mid or a more effective forward? Hard to say. If Rozee has that amount of talent then we'd be pretty lucky.
I know players go up the ground, but there are usually only a few at a time who are designated to go for the ball at stoppages. The rest are their for the 2nd or 3rd possession, to defend, or be on the end of a turnover.

I reckon being able to play up forward is more useful than just hanging around on the outside, but if Rozee can become one of those who wins the ball first then we are maximising the number of times he gets to use the ball, as well as giving our best decision maker the responsibility when it’s probably the hardest time to use the ball, as well as the highest risk/reward.

I absolutely agree that we need him as a forward way more at the moment, but that will change when Boak/Gray/Rockliff retire. At present our midfield is literally as good as any in the league, and our forward line struggles.

Robbie's been our best midfielder since 2014. Hinkley wasting him up forward for the past 3 years is infuriating, just as bad as Boak being played at hff.

Personally I think Robbie is great in both spots. We need 2 of him.

Boak on the other hand, should never be shifted out of the middle because it absolutely kills him.

Clearly? The guy can turn a game on its head as a forward.

Can. Once every few weeks.

As a permanent midfielder he was one of the absolute best players in the league. As a forward he's a poor man's de Goey.

Robbie's been our best midfielder since 2014. Hinkley wasting him up forward for the past 3 years is infuriating, just as bad as Boak being played at hff.
Robbie is genuinely elite I50, he wasn’t been wasted there. He wins us game in that position, like the showdown last year when he bagged 5 in the last quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Russell Ebert did it in 1968 with 44 goals when we finished 2nd? Anyone else for Port apart from these 2?

Post Russell, Michael Dittmar played 1969-70 and topped the goal kicking in 1969. Don't know if he was on the list prior to 1969.

Max James topped the goal-kicking in 1972 but played in 1971.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back