Games that left you shell shocked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dons 96 in that centenary game. Bewick kicking 5 last quarter goals, 9 for the game and I think the Dons kicked 9 in the last term.

Completely out of left field. WTF. Just gotta laugh at that s**t.

2018 grang final and the lead up to the match winning goal.
If Liam Ryan and Willie Rioli were a pair of dodgy carnies looking for a rube to pull some shenanigans on I reckon they would pick Brayden Maynard every time.
-and it wasn't a free kick.Maynard was decieved fair and square.

Last edited:
For my club I distinctly remember being shell shocked in 2016 losing to the Blues.... We had never before ( or since ) lost to them at Docklands & they made us look very ordinary that day. A neutral match I remember being shell shocked in was the QF 2002 Power vs Pies .....The Pies had just scraped into 4th & were without Bucks, basically the best player in the league at the time, & somehow won with Licuria playing an all time great match!

The WB flooding against Essendon in 2000. It was the first time I ever saw the tactic and it meant the Dons lost their only game for the year. It was exciting.

1991 first round.... the Crows demolished the Hawks in their first ever AFL game.... i thought the Crows would be unbeatable, and we were all playing for distant second. And Dermie got suspended for about 8 weeks.
I remember the WB flood well. They beat Blues I think the next week also. They did that to Hawks the week after Blues but we won. I remember Anthony Rock playing a good game and was patient to pin point passes into 50 zone to break through flood.

Eagles-Hawks last night.

Hawks always capable and have scalped big teams already. Almost beat the Eagles earlier in the year too. But despite the Eagles consistency issues many ignored the Hawkers good form and calibre and expected the Eagles would secure that top 4 finish. Their season now looks like it's gone up in flames and on the back of one game, they're done.

Last night :'(
Our premiership defence is officially done

Steady on. Big blow, for sure, but it's not over. Unless we can't change things up. But given how much was riding on it and it was an upset, definitely the most shell shocked I've felt. A bit like the Bulldogs EF in 2016.

From a Richmond perspective, only 2 losses are burned into my mind from our days of misery that gave me genuine shudders and left me utterly speechless.

Round 6, 2007 - Geelong 222-65 Richmond
Round 17, 2012 - Richmond 88-90 Gold Coast (10 points up with 40 seconds left, in control of the ball)

The premiership in 2017 healed these old wounds, but they will never truly be forgotten due to the sheer ridiculousness of them, on both ends of the scale. :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong have enough for a thread by ourselves...
  • The Nick Davis final
  • WCE comeback from 9 goals down
  • The 157 game against Richmond in 2007
  • 2007 GF
  • Losing by 96 to Collingwood in 2008
  • 2008 GF
  • Losing to Sydney in Geelong in 2011, our first loss there in 4 years
  • Beating the Pies the following week by 96
  • Hawkins after the siren in 2012 when it was peak Kennett Curse
  • Both finals losses to Freo
  • Getting belted by Richmond in the 2017 QF
  • Beating Sydney by half time the following week when we'd been written off
I feel like I'm missing at least a few as well.

91 - Shell Shocked by the Hawks part 1
92 - Matera Magic
94 - The yes we really are that good GF win
00 - Demolition Derby (freo coming of age )
05 - Leo Barry
06 - 54 Points down in the third comeback win at skilled
06 - GF - Chicky you bloody legend
15 - Shell Shocked by the Hawks part 2
18 - Sheeeeeeeeeeeed!!!!
19 - Shell Shocked by the Hawks part 3

Headingley last night. ******* torture to watch it happen.
Yep, stayed up and watched the whole sorry thing. Worst decision to review I have ever seen in a Test Match by Tim Paine, unbelievable, however how the umpire didn't give that LBW against Stokes with 2 runs to win is even more staggeringly unbelievable.

Best match turning Test innings I have ever seen from Ben Stokes, takes over from Beefy Botham at the same ground in 1981. Why do we always lose the cliffhanger Test Matches :'( :(.

From a Richmond perspective, only 2 losses are burned into my mind from our days of misery that gave me genuine shudders and left me utterly speechless.

Round 6, 2007 - Geelong 222-65 Richmond
Round 17, 2012 - Richmond 88-90 Gold Coast (10 points up with 40 seconds left, in control of the ball)

The premiership in 2017 healed these old wounds, but they will never truly be forgotten due to the sheer ridiculousness of them, on both ends of the scale. :drunk:

Nothing from 2014?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe 6 years ago while Macca was in charge of the dogs.

Were absolutely molested by the Eagles in Perth. Lost to the tune of 131 from memory. Kennedy kicked a bag and generaly they just had their way with us.

Took a long time to get over that loss. The mere thought of playing there was the stuff of nightmares. It wasnt till that final against them in 2016 that we finally exorcised those demons.

The worst I can remember was the 95 Grand final. I was sitting with my brother and don’t reckon we uttered a word from about quarter time, through the walk back to flinders st, on the train to Williamstown. Just silence.

The 'miracle on grass' Ash McGrath special. No-one saw that coming

Maybe 6 years ago while Macca was in charge of the dogs.

Were absolutely molested by the Eagles in Perth. Lost to the tune of 131 from memory. Kennedy kicked a bag and generaly they just had their way with us.

Took a long time to get over that loss. The mere thought of playing there was the stuff of nightmares. It wasnt till that final against them in 2016 that we finally exorcised those demons.

That was Eade and it was 123 points. I remember a 101 pt loss to Geelong around the same time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back