The REAL reasons we don't get finals at GMHBA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't care about the venue. But I think it's unfair it's on a Friday night
Not really about maximising the chances of our fans getting to the game is it?
But but but you posted in this thread! It must mean you do care.

tenor.gif

“Chris, do you think finishing top you deserved a home final?”
“No comment”

CHRIS SCOTT DEFLECTING FROM THE ISSUES YET AGAIN WHY CANT HE JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION HE IS SUCH A FAKE

Does anyone really expect that a Geelong/Collingwood final would be played at KP? Get off the grass if you do.

Do I think it would be played at KP? No.
Do I think it SHOULD be played at KP? Absolutely.

Paid a $134 to watch Collingcrap belt Geelong at the MCG in 2010. Vowed that was the last time I would piss that much money away on a football game. If we are good enough we win if not we stare at a str8 set match the week after. As some have said the AFL DNGAF about Geelong.

Agree 100%. Don't like CS going on about it all the time either.
Not really instilling confidence in the playing group.
Leave that s**t to the president.
I'd prefer something like Beverage yesterday. Basically F**k Yeah, we can't wait!
As a player you'd be like Whoa, our coach really thinks we can do this

If players are looking to the coaches media management strategy for encouragement I'd say they have bigger problems.

If players are looking to the coaches media management strategy for encouragement I'd say they have bigger problems.
I would normally say yes that's true.
But in this case going on about it so close to finals I know I'd start to have doubts if the coaches think we can get it done.
Rightly or wrongly it was always 100% going to be at the G so just embrace it and give the players confidence.
Leave the complaining to the president.

I would normally say yes that's true.
But in this case going on about it so close to finals I know I'd start to have doubts if the coaches think we can get it done.
Rightly or wrongly it was always 100% going to be at the G so just embrace it and give the players confidence.
Leave the complaining to the president.
Rubbish.
Coach isn't going on about it.
We are.
Go listen to it again.
A 30-second comment he made at the end of a five minute presser.
Any player sh**ing their pants after hearing that needs their head examined.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paid a $134 to watch Collingcrap belt Geelong at the MCG in 2010. Vowed that was the last time I would piss that much money away on a football game. If we are good enough we win if not we stare at a str8 set match the week after. As some have said the AFL DNGAF about Geelong.

You didn’t get the 50% refund if we lost that was on offer?

Do I think it would be played at KP? No.
Do I think it SHOULD be played at KP? Absolutely.

Oh come off it

So using your logic - when Collingwood had Victoria Park as their home ground - and that could hold 35-40k - i went to a Coll v Geel game - it was Tom Hafeys as Geel coach - 1st time back at that venue since Coll sacked him - and it packed to the rafters

So if Coll finished 1st and Geel 4th - your basically saying that the team finishing higher must get an advantage - so the game gets played at Victoria Park - ha

All this has come about because Geel are 3 wins from their last 11 finals - and look brittle in finals . There was none of this talk in 07- 11 because Geel won finals at the MCG

So if Coll finished 1st and Geel 4th - your basically saying that the team finishing higher must get an advantage

Imagine that. The team finishing higher receiving the benefit they earned throughout the regular season and are supposed to be rewarded with. What a crazy idea.

Gotta say you've got us there. Good point tbh. You really showed the flaw in our reasoning. Boy are we embarrassed.

*hangs head in shame*

It belies insecurity from the coach and the playing group. They're not confident they can win outside of their own ground, which constricts the opposition and plays into their current style of play. The champions of the 07-11 side and the coaches of that side didn't moan incessantly about the MCG - they weren't afraid of it. In fact, they embraced playing it, relished the occasion. It shows the fundamental difference between the two groups and why one was a triple-premiership legendary side and this group are perennial also-rans.

Good teams, premiership teams, get it done wherever. That Geelong side won plenty of finals at the 'G, even against MCG tenants. It was never a concern or an excuse, probably because we hadn't cultivated a gameplan which benefited from being played on an unusually narrow ground. The Saints in 2009 made a GF and were a couple of kicks away from winning it despite not playing on the 'G at all until the final round of the season and then playing every subsequent finals game there. Hawthorn beat the minor premiers on their home turf in Perth, their second WA trip in a month, and then won the flag the following week.

It is honestly appaling that we have not just played a plethora of finals recently but played most of them in Victoria (our first and only interstate final under Scott was the 2017 PF) and have the gall to complain about finals venues. The Bulldogs won a flag traveling all around the country. It reeks of the club being afraid they'll let the fans down again and doing pre-emptive damage control, crafting an excuse to obscure the repeated failure to stand up under finals pressure.
Except they did it twice, this year, at two of the top 4 teams at the MCG. The other, they lost by less than a goal after leading for most of it. Not sure about this fear factor theory.

Oh come off it

So using your logic - when Collingwood had Victoria Park as their home ground - and that could hold 35-40k - i went to a Coll v Geel game - it was Tom Hafeys as Geel coach - 1st time back at that venue since Coll sacked him - and it packed to the rafters

So if Coll finished 1st and Geel 4th - your basically saying that the team finishing higher must get an advantage - so the game gets played at Victoria Park - ha

All this has come about because Geel are 3 wins from their last 11 finals - and look brittle in finals . There was none of this talk in 07- 11 because Geel won finals at the MCG

The talk is there because we as a state have spent 290 mill plus upgrading and another 110 to come to increase it to over 40k which was justified/supported by the possibility of playing finals there. That’s the main reason. And the Vic gov will exert pressure to reap returns as expected. The AFL will remember suddenly that it is they who underwrite the AFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It wouldnt have anything to do with the fact GWS dont get big crowds even in finals. Last time they played a final up there against the dogs there was under 22k.

Personally play all your finals and home games at the cattery but you will be locking out some of your own supporters imo.That is those supporters who dont live in Geelong and the many supporters who come to melbourne each yr for finals.

Lastly its hardly an away venue for you.You do play a decent amount of games at the mcg each yr. 5 this yr and 7 the yr before. I would say the place for Victorian clubs playing each other is more of a neutral venue.

Personally i think the game is all about ALL the supporters and the more who can get into see games the better.

Oh come off it

That's exactly what I'm saying. I believe that teams who earn a home final should have a say in where that final is played. Other sporting competitions around the world allow teams to play finals on their home ground/court etc. Why should the AFL be any different?

IMO, this talk escalated when the AFL created a rod for their own back by allowing GWS to play a final at a ground with a smaller capacity than GMHBA Stadium back in 2016. Up until then everyone accepted finals were to be played at the 'G or the venue in whichever state had the biggest capacity.

Surely if it's good enough for GWS, it should be good enough for us as well as the Marvel Stadium tenants.

The talk is there because we as a state have spent 290 mill plus upgrading and another 110 to come to increase it to over 40k which was justified/supported by the possibility of playing finals there. That’s the main reason. And the Vic gov will exert pressure to reap returns as expected. The AFL will remember suddenly that it is they who underwrite the AFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jobs and votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back