Recommitted Jake Carlisle [triggered an extension for 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Wilkie and Battle have both had excellent seasons. I'm against trading him though/

Not sure i'd describe Battle's season as 'excellent'...but showed promise.

Still, with Brown close to retirement i'm surprised that you'd let go of Jake.

Is it because his back injury is affecting his performance? Questionable character and effort at times as well.

I think Clarkson flew to the USA to chat with Carlisle when the trade was at a stalemate and Hawthorn made a pitch for his services. He ultimately ended up at St Kilda but perhaps the Hawks would still be interested..? :shrug:

Jan 26, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne United

Is it because his back injury is affecting his performance? Questionable character and effort at times as well.

I think he wasn't match fit really and agility is pretty poor now. I'd prefer to see how he goes with a pre-season. Doesn't have the best body language on field.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think Clarkson flew to the USA to chat with Carlisle when the trade was at a stalemate and Hawthorn made a pitch for his services. He ultimately ended up at St Kilda but perhaps the Hawks would still be interested..? :shrug:
Definitely the type of player we are crying out for, We obviously had a lot of success with the Brian lake trade. Be interesting to see what he’s worth. Looks like a salary dump so trade wise I don’t think they’ll get his full value, 2nd or third might get it done. Do the players actually like him? Seems like abit of a flog

Definitely the type of player we are crying out for, We obviously had a lot of success with the Brian lake trade. Be interesting to see what he’s worth. Looks like a salary dump so trade wise I don’t think they’ll get his full value, 2nd or third might get it done. Do the players actually like him? Seems like abit of a flog
I thought he was considered something of a leader at St Kilda. Not so much at Essendon but the story went that he grew up a bit after that trade, the snapchat scandal which saw his contract re-negotiated, and then the year off when he worked in construction or something while he served his suspension. Had some time to reflect on what he was doing and why.

Last time he went for pick 5 less pick 14 and some other bits and pieces (three way trade with Sydney). I think Hawthorn offered 15 and 18 from memory. Three years later, he's been injured and suspended in that time, and now he's older. Only barely played his 9 games for the trigger clause too I think?

Suspect there's still a bit of value in him, off the top of my head I'd say a decent second rounder, though I don't know what they'd actually ask for.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Salary isnt an issue. If he is traded, it will be to get currency for other trades so full value would be expected in picks.

g_TRAIN

Near a spoon
Jun 15, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda

Battle has been bloody well awesome especially for a kid so young.

He showed more than promise for mine.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Salary isnt an issue. If he is traded, it will be to get currency for other trades so full value would be expected in picks.
Not just a salary dump but it’s sounding like the saints are the ones who want him out rather than the other way around, which will affect his value. What would you expect for him? I think we’d be keen but he clearly isn’t worth pick 10 with the doubts over his back and with a few of the story’s that flew around about his attitude etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Strong avoid, seems like an average bloke and it wouldn't surprise if St Kilda had strong buyers remorse the moment they signed him.

scratchy09

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood should seriously consider him. Would fill their tall back hole or even go forward.

I personally wouldn't want to chase unless he was on a cheap deal and we had to give up nothing. I'd be trying to look for youth if I were the pies.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
What are the Saints thinking? their only decent defender and they want to trade him lols or Essendon get Jake back means we can leave hooker permanently forward

The young Battle played CHB when Carlisle was out and went very well. Has had a very good season and is only 20 going on 21.

So we have 2 CHB's and lack quality mids. So if it meant a true quality mid you would have to think about it.

Or the other theory is Carlisle for B King etc.

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
What team would actually want him?

Unfit, doesn't seem to care and clearly enjoys himself off the field. Innuendo suggests he is a w***er too.

Wouldn't trade anything for him.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Had an excellent couple of years prior to this year and would have either been leading our B&F, or top two, for most of last year, until his back started playing up late. Came 4th the previous year.

I suspect what we're hoping to do is to trade Jake for a decent pick and then pick up Tomlinson through free agency, to take his place down back.

So Tomlinson and a decent pick (that could help us get someone else perhaps) v just Jake (who isn't getting any younger and who's body is unreliable).

I wouldn't like to lose him, because when he's fit and in form he's bloody good and very obviously makes us a better team, but if he gets us a good return, and Tomlinson slots in down back, I could definitely live with it.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
How come footy fans feel the need to judge so harshly blokes they've never even met? Man's in a very stable relationship with a child and another on the way. It's been a good four years since the Snapchat scandal (which was purely him doing a line of snow, which every player does) and there hasn't been a single rumour or word of negativity about him since. Yet still clowns reckon he's a s**t bloke. Grow up.

Really hope the Pies have a look at him as a key position boost at either end. His form at the back end of 2014 (long time ago, I know) playing as a forward was stupidly good and he's obviously a proven elite key defender, one of the best going around when fit in my humble opinion.

For Melbourne clubs that need a key defender:
Ameet Bains being at the kennel is a very interesting chronicle, seeing as Bains would have overseen Carlisle's move to St Kilda in the first place. The Bulldogs' rumoured fat salary cap and real need for key defenders means at the least, they'll chat to Carlisle once again you'd reckon.

Hawthorn have a clear need for key defensive depth too and a partnership of Carlisle and Frawley would be a very good one. He'd take that back line up another level.

North Melbourne are on the way up and Scott Thompson has prematurely retired most would agree so unless they want to back in Durdin and McKay to hold their ground next year, the Roos will need a new tall defender and Carlisle is on the table.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
With Battle & Wilkie playing well this year, and the Tomlinson talk (again), I reckon the club are trying to move him for picks to use on Hill & Jones which is an area we need a lot more.
Not sure how I feel about it though, last couple of years he was great but no preseason and injured this year. When he's up an going he's comfortably in our top half a dozen players.

Battles season was excellent

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How come footy fans feel the need to judge so harshly blokes they've never even met? Man's in a very stable relationship with a child and another on the way. It's been a good four years since the Snapchat scandal (which was purely him doing a line of snow, which every player does) and there hasn't been a single rumour or word of negativity about him since. Yet still clowns reckon he's a s**t bloke. Grow up.

Really hope the Pies have a look at him as a key position boost at either end. His form at the back end of 2014 (long time ago, I know) playing as a forward was stupidly good and he's obviously a proven elite key defender, one of the best going around when fit in my humble opinion.

For Melbourne clubs that need a key defender:
Ameet Bains being at the kennel is a very interesting chronicle, seeing as Bains would have overseen Carlisle's move to St Kilda in the first place. The Bulldogs' rumoured fat salary cap and real need for key defenders means at the least, they'll chat to Carlisle once again you'd reckon.

Hawthorn have a clear need for key defensive depth too and a partnership of Carlisle and Frawley would be a very good one. He'd take that back line up another level.

North Melbourne are on the way up and Scott Thompson has prematurely retired most would agree so unless they want to back in Durdin and McKay to hold their ground next year, the Roos will need a new tall defender and Carlisle is on the table.
His first chat with the Dogs didn’t go well at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back