No Oppo Supporters DEATH RIDE 2: A TEAGUE OF THEIR OWN! (Picks 3 and 21)

How many wins for the rest of the year under their new coach David Teague?

• Total voters

fortunatecrow

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's interesting to see discussion of this as if it was something that SOS and Reid nutted out between them based on on-the-spot assessments of each club's likely finishing positions.

I would be very worried if a club went into trading and drafting without an official house view about where they expected to finish, worked out well in advance.

I would expect that the better prepared clubs would have a view on every other clubs' finishing positions, also prepared in advance. They would know that they would get it wrong, but they would give it their best shot. They would also know that they might also need to adjust for trades and picks made on the night, but they would still use it as a starting position.

I reckon Carlton probably finished where they expected to. For the Crows - nope.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
It's interesting to see discussion of this as if it was something that SOS and Reid nutted out between them based on on-the-spot assessments of each club's likely finishing positions.

I would be very worried if a club went into trading and drafting without an official house view about where they expected to finish, worked out well in advance.

I would expect that the better prepared clubs would have a view on every other clubs' finishing positions, also prepared in advance. They would know that they would get it wrong, but they would give it their best shot. They would also know that they might also need to adjust for trades and picks made on the night, but they would still use it as a starting position.

I reckon Carlton probably finished where they expected to. For the Crows - nope.
I doubt they did

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ironic that you use the term facts, yet you keep trying to claim that we didn't give 2 first round picks to Carlton which is factually incorrect.

Pick 10 and 16 are both first round picks, that's an irrefutable fact.

We gave them two firsts, slightly upgraded our 2nd round pick and received their 3rd rounder.

The other fact is that we paid more for Gibbs than we received for Lever.
I said I agree that we gave them a mid (10) and late (16) 1st rounder in a weak draft didn't I and we got their equivalent 1st rounder (21) in a stronger draft, the downgrade was our mid 2nd rounder (28) to their early 3rd rounder (40), the further away the pick is from pick 16 that we gave them, the less relevance it is....see what I did there.

So essentially, we gave them pick 10 and late 2nd rounder for Gibbs as for Lever we got pick 10 and pick 16 so no we didn't paid more for Gibbs than we received for Lever.

Last edited:

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I said I agree that we gave them a mid (10) and late (16) first rounder in a weak draft didn't I and we got their equivalent 1st rounder (21) in a stronger draft, the downgrade was our mid 2nd rounder (28) to their early 3rd rounder (40), the further away the pick is from pick 16 that we gave them, the less relevance it is....see what I did there.

So essentially, we gave them pick 10 and late 2nd rounder for Gibbs as for Lever we got pick 10 and pick 16/an early 2nd rounder so no we didn't paid more for Gibbs than we received for Lever.
So 21 is a first rounder?

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I said it's an equivalent 1st rounder due to the quality of the 2018 draft compared to 2017 draft. Hence, I've always said you needed to look at the trade more closely to see what was actually given.
So you’re making stuff up. A first rounder is a first rounder. So what’s the cut off in last year’s draft to be called an equivalent first rounder?

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
So you’re making stuff up. A first rounder is a first rounder. So what’s the cut off in last year’s draft to be called an equivalent first rounder?
Let me ask you a question, would you prefer pick 21 in the 2018 draft compared to pick 16 in the 2017 draft, answer honestly.......

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
In general you'd prefer a lower pick, its very hard to quantify a whole draft until well after, which obviously is hindsight.
Nah, the quality ran very deep in the 2018 draft, all recruiting expert said it's one of the strongest draft ever which ran very deep to pick 25, hence why I kept on saying you need to look at the trade more closely. So this means you would have wanted the pick 16 in 2017....interesting.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Logically pick 19 (without any FA compensation) would be consider an equivalent to pick 16 (just) but given last year's draft strength pick 22 is about right.
Haha, so exactly one pick after our 21.

You are so predictable, if I was going to guess what your answer would be it would be 22.

Now to answer yours. I would say pick 16 in 2017 and hoped we picked up either Richards, Kelly, Ryan or Oscar Allen.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Haha, so exactly one pick after our 21.

You are so predictable, if I was going to guess what your answer would be it would be 22.

Now to answer yours. I would say pick 16 in 2017 and hoped we picked up either Richards, Kelly, Ryan or Oscar Allen.
I thought you would say that......you are also so predictable and your lack of football knowledge has finally shown. ;)
Pick 21 for me any day.....any day.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I thought you would say that......you are also so predictable and your lack of football knowledge has finally shown. ;)
Pick 21 for me any day.
How has it finally shown, I’ve given you 4 very quality players who were available has we kept pick 16.

There is a reason you think you provide quality analysis, its because you have no idea. It’s actually embarrassing how bad you do football. Only a real dufus for example would claim we are as successful as West Coast.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
How has it finally shown, I’ve given you 4 very quality players who were available has we kept pick 16.

There is a reason you think you provide quality analysis, its because you have no idea. It’s actually embarrassing how bad you do football. Only a real dufus for example would claim we are as successful as West Coast.
I did say we had to pinch one of the premiership in 05/06, 12 and/or 17 didn't I (West Coast took their chance) and unlike them we've never ever bottom out.....pick 16 in 2017 is better than pick 21 in 2018....OMG (even Carlton's supporter said they would prefer pick 21.....and that's saying something).
I will give you 10 quality players after pick 21 next year.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I did say we had to pinch one of the premiership in 05/06, 12 and/or 17 didn't I (West Coast took their chance) and unlike them we've never ever bottom out.....
No you said we were as successful irrespective of them winning more flags, it’s just that we didn’t take our chances. Don’t try and slink away from one of the most bizarre opinions in Big Footy history

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
It's amazing how many Carlton fans think they smashed us in this trade.

They also believe SOS ****s pure gold and saffron bars.

Back