2020 celebrations

I like it.

I have no doubt you won't be alone.
That doesn't make it good, nor does it make it a smart move by the club.

If you try and incorporate more it gets cluttered.
If you incorporate less then what do you run with?

If the club is to change, the change needs to be strategic, and it needs to be executed well.
This is neither. This is a design by committee.

Too much 'stuff' to appease the masses.
Not enough, 'is this really needed in our logo'?

It's clearly Port Adelaide.

The only identifiable thing that is Port Adelaide is the PA monogram which is a merch device designed for us by a cap manufacturer.

If this is the dirction to head in, why convolute it with additional elements?
Why a shield/crest shape?
Why the bars?

Why not, a well crafted PA monogram (not the one currently used) that elevates above all else to represent Port Adelaide.

It's clearly the logo of an older club.

Lol. No it's not. It is literally a brand new thing.
It's not as 'faux' as the Crows heritage monogram, but it's close to it.

It's got the wharf.

It does. Why does the logo need to have a wharf in it?
Or a reference to the PB guernsey?
Think about that. Think about the why, not the what.

It's even got the chevron subtly.

A 'happy' accident that's too subtle to mean anything.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
tbh i feel like the stronger move would be to just go with the monogram
Of course, but the club is trying to give every impression of honouring our history, including the Prison Bars, except actually going out and fighting for the right to wear them. This dancing Homer ‘all things to all people’ fits their MO perfectly.

Feb 12, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If the club is to change, the change needs to be strategic, and it needs to be executed well.

Agree with this. I can see the rationale behind it, but I’d prefer a Juventus-type rebrand.

If there’s a positive to take out of it, it looks like it’s been commissioned/signed-off by a board that’s scared of what the members will think of it, so maybe they do care after all.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
kRTR7qg.png
That's gross.

Replace the teal with silver and it would be a vast improvement

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have no doubt you won't be alone.
That doesn't make it good, nor does it make it a smart move by the club.

The only identifiable thing that is Port Adelaide is the PA monogram which is a merch device designed for us by a cap manufacturer.

If this is the dirction to head in, why convolute it with additional elements?
Why a shield/crest shape?
Why the bars?

Why not, a well crafted PA monogram (not the one currently used) that elevates above all else to represent Port Adelaide.

Lol. No it's not. It is literally a brand new thing.
It's not as 'faux' as the Crows heritage monogram, but it's close to it.

It does. Why does the logo need to have a wharf in it?
Or a reference to the PB guernsey?
Think about that. Think about the why, not the what.

An 'happy' accident that's too subtle to mean anything.
They have literally just gone the PA merch seems to sell. That must be what the members want. Let's jam it into Homer's car.

If they put it to the members to design and then vote on we could have ended up with a much better result.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Damn, the mock-up I saw was completely different, it even had a magpie, piping shrike my ass...

View attachment 734819

Lyndon Whaite - what a legend hey bomberclifford Going to go see him soon if you want to visit. Sandwiches in the vineyard.

Has anybody ever taken Moo Brew to task for ripping off his Australia Council for the Arts logo by the way?

Image result for australia council for the arts Image result for moo brew

The Shrike 150 is a real logo, as is Australia Council for the Arts, both absolute quality and both have longevity.
The good olde days....

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
It looks like something done by someone learning the ropes on the Footy Jumpers board. Well done, you've ticked some boxes, but there is zero imagination in it whatsoever. We have so much squandered potential in our how we brand ourselves and this would make that situation much, much worse.

The PA monogram doesn't sit well on anything else. It's a cap logo, and it's designed as a cap logo, where it sits on it's own. That's what it's for. The designer of this hasn't for a second considered what any element of this logo is for.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It looks like something done by someone learning the ropes on the Footy Jumpers board. Well done, you've ticked some boxes, but there is zero imagination in it whatsoever. We have so much squandered potential in our how we brand ourselves and this would make that situation much, much worse.

The PA monogram doesn't sit well on anything else. It's a cap logo, and it's designed as a cap logo, where it sits on it's own. That's what it's for. The designer of this hasn't for a second considered what any element of this logo is for.

More importantly understand this - you are only as good as your client. (as in the client in here has no design expectations and or judgement - they obviously don't know what good design is - it isn't this)......

Last edited:

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
More importantly understand this - you are only as good as your client.

This is probably something I forget and something that bomberclifford has reminded me of in the past as well when I criticise aspects of our branding.

It's still disappointing, but absolutely the blame lays at the feet of the people signing off on this. I'll wait and see with the 2020 celebrations as a whole, but it's another thing to be disappointed with.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This is probably something I forget and something that bomberclifford has reminded me of in the past as well when I criticise aspects of our branding.

It's still disappointing, but absolutely the blame lays at the feet of the people signing off on this. I'll wait and see with the 2020 celebrations as a whole, but it's another thing to be disappointed with.

At the firm I used to work at in a previous life I designed this.

As you can imagine a highly political job, and this ticked off so many boxes in the end, the oval which had the river to the south, hill on the north, oval in the middle, in the end they didn't really want a logo so this solved all that came before it - which in the end worked well.

One of the nicest logos I ever created was the one which got rejected.. that was an actual logo, it could live easily without the name and had real strength and longevity, just didn't fit the clients strategy/mindset of the day which was a pity.

You have to work bloody hard to get a good outcome, nothing comes easy and tbh, if that is infact the new logo with the PA/Shield, boy oh boy wowee.... the clubs expectations on things really have hit a new low, may as well sign Ken up now for another 10 years.

Developing a solid brand identity is done via a thorough process, not going in with preconceived ideas, and a clear understanding of what the current state of play is in terms of what’s working and what’s not.

My hunch is the PA is the most likely answer to what I anticipate the criteria to be. However, I don’t have all the info to say that with certainty.

Dropping “Power” is a MASSIVE decision and not something to be done lightly. My fear is that I don’t think anyone at the club has even considered what the long term ramifications are of making random changes to the brand image based on what supporters say in surveys. We’ve got accountants and ex-footballers making decisions on brand that are so off the mark it’s not funny.

The sad thing is that there are at least five Port supporters, and paid up members, who are serious brand strategists and designers, all based here in Adelaide. The club hasn’t approached any of them.

I doubt they even know they exist.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

What I meant by this was (The client isn't very understanding of what good design is) - they let this go through as they don't have much idea....

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Developing a solid brand identity is done via a thorough process, not going in with preconceived ideas, and a clear understanding of what the current state of play is in terms of what’s working and what’s not.

My hunch is the PA is the most likely answer to what I anticipate the criteria to be. However, I don’t have all the info to say that with certainty.

Dropping “Power” is a MASSIVE decision and not something to be done lightly. My fear is that I don’t think anyone at the club has even considered what the long term ramifications are of making random changes to the brand image based on what supporters say in surveys. We’ve got accountants and ex-footballers making decisions on brand that are so off the mark it’s not funny.

The sad thing is that there are at least five Port supporters, and paid up members, who are serious brand strategists and designers, all based here in Adelaide. The club hasn’t approached any of them.

I remember we told a guy at the club ( approx 2014 I guess) about all the memorabilia work we did at the Oval too - all the level 3 cabinets, Sheffield Shield Room etc... as they were talking about the museum at Alberton - Fell on deaf ears - all they saw was $$.

It's Adelaide, who pays for design right?

Thank god for small winemakers! they get it!

(PS) That PA Shield thing, that belongs on a monthly club newsletter about a cake sale rasiing money to keep Ken, that's not something the club should be using if they were serious.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

Staggering, really. I know an organisation the size of a football club might not have a procurement officer as such but making a change like a logo or even bigger, dropping the nickname, is such a crucial project. It's like they just don't really get what sports branding is or what it's for. You expect that at amateur level but not at major professional sports club leve.

I'm actually for dropping Power long term, but I totally agree that it can't just be done on a whim and mucking with our branding when people are already angry with the club is really dicey at the best of times. It would need to be dropped as part of a very careful and well planned rebrand. Not something I trust the current regime to oversee for even a second.

Can you re do this with 75% of the teal as black outside part of the logo and leave the remainder as teal. I reckon a black outline with a bit of teal inside will look a lot better than making the teal so prominent.

Back