Australia's Next Test Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Absolutely. With the ease Stokes was clearing the rope and the fact he was pulling out crazy stuff like ramp shots for fun having the field out clearly wasn't restricting his scoring anyway, so Englands one weakness was, even without hindsight, rotating the strike to protect Leach and Paine decided to just ignore that.
So frustrating. What a bloody mess.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Also that interview seems to imply Paine was setting defensive fields but wanting his bowlers to be aggressive and forgot to tell them? Captaincy equivalent of Gatting's reverse sweep in the WC.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
for me it's a no brainer.

finch can't get a game, warner - forget, dumped vice captains mitch marsh and hazlewood, cummins - no (I'm one who don't like bowlers as captain, nor a keeper for that matter).

travis head still not locked in the side as yet, wouldn't want to give it to head and realise we should've waited until smith was able to skipper again.

gotta be smith when he is eligible again and stick with paine until then (aussie summer pak-nz and a bang tour).

paine to then retire - unless he's dominating - transition to someone like a carey.

Nov 8, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It was pretty annoying listening to Paine seemingly put that loss down to a miracle innings that they were powerless to stop rather than reflecting on what they could have done differently.

I know they will be filthy behind doors but it seemed pretty gutless the way he avoided accountability during his onfield interviews after the game last night. I understand the difficulty of the situation but he really communicated like Stokes was unstoppable no matter what he would have done rather looking at their own mistakes.

Last edited:

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Paine is squeaky clean and says all the right sportsman like stuff, thats the skipper the public want

tactics secondary

Not many risk taking skippers in modern cricket

he is the captain people who don't watch cricket want. He is the guy who got picked because he was inoffensive. Same people who wanted to come down on Smith/Warner/Bancroft with a sledgehammer.

Smith should be captain now, lets be honest. Paine isn't performing with the bat or leadership. When Smith is playing he is directing traffic anyway.

he is the captain people who don't watch cricket want. He is the guy who got picked because he was inoffensive. Same people who wanted to come down on Smith/Warner/Bancroft with a sledgehammer.

Smith should be captain now, lets be honest. Paine isn't performing with the bat or leadership. When Smith is playing he is directing traffic anyway.

No argument from me at all

id make Smith captain tomorrow.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
It was pretty annoying listening to Paine seemingly put that loss down to a miracle innings that they were powerless to stop rather than reflecting on what they could have done differently.

I know they will be filthy behind doors but it seemed pretty gutless the way he avoided accountability during his onfield interviews after the game last night. I understand the difficulty of the situation but he really communicated like Stokes was unstoppable no matter what he would have done rather looking at their own mistakes.
They were powerless to stop Stokes because the bowling was so directionless. Just put everyone on the boundary and hope. It's not one day cricket, why not put most of the fielders on the off side and bowl as wide as possible? Aside from giving Lyon a try (which almost worked, Stokes mishit a few), Paine made the most obvious moves imaginable. I have no idea why he wouldn't just admit that instead of rolling out the usual platitudes, but unfortunately that's a big part of his job at the moment.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
They were powerless to stop Stokes because the bowling was so directionless. Just put everyone on the boundary and hope. It's not one day cricket, why not put most of the fielders on the off side and bowl as wide as possible? Aside from giving Lyon a try (which almost worked, Stokes mis**t a few), Paine made the most obvious moves imaginable. I have no idea why he wouldn't just admit that instead of rolling out the usual platitudes, but unfortunately that's a big part of his job at the moment.

this is going back awhile but i remember the ashes in 2001 (https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...st-australia-tour-of-england-and-ireland-2001) when Butcher made 173. And fair cop to him he played out of his skin and we refused to stop attacking. But i preferred that approach to what happened last night.

We actually gave up getting stokes out. That was the problem. So we bowled to these stupid fields not trying to get him out.

Sep 6, 2007
Hiding in the sand dunes
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've been trying to stay positive about Tim Paine but last night just about did it for me. His litany of flaws is starting to look quite formidable.

-Batting. This is so bad now it can't be ignored any longer. We pretty much have the tail starting at 6 with the way he is batting right now. It puts us under so much pressure and really adds to that sense of an inevitable middle order collapse. Not good enough for Test match cricket.

-Field placements. So, so poor this match. Letting Stokes get an easy single on the second last ball of over after over after over. Totally brainless and released so much pressure.

-Bowling changes. He used Lyon poorly this match. Took him off at the wrong time and then left him on too long when Stokes was looking to slog. Chopped and changed the quicks which gave the impression of panicking and holds a good amount of the blame for the constant short-pitched bowling and failure to target Leach's stumps. Bad tactics.

-The reviews. Less said about that the better. Unforgivable bed-shitting.

-Keeping. This is just hanging on to the right side of adequate, but even then he leaked runs yesterday that added pressure to the bowlers and helped England's momentum.

-Overall tactics. Have been poor. It was the wrong decision to send England in to bat at Lords. We were lucky to escape that game with a draw, thanks mostly to Labuschagne and Smith. Smacked of arrogance after going 1-0 up, I wonder whether we learned anything. Was also clearly unable to control the tempo yesterday, slow the game down and keep control of the situation. His panic infected the rest of the team and lead to lots of dropped/missed chances. As captain that choke is ultimately on him.

Once again I'd like to thank the hysterical nuffies for this now ridiculous and borderline farcical situation. Because apparently some pearl-clutchers will cry if Smith becomes captain again, or something, so we must remain hamstrung for all time.

What a mess.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Head? Cummins? Who cares? The coaches and bowlers set the bowling plans and fields, Captain is not as important as everyone thinks.

Anyone except Paine
If he's not responsible for the plans, then why is everyone blaming him for the plans?

And to those suggesting Cummins, it was him and Paine together that decided to review.

Predictable meltdown is predictable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kuuz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory TSM
So, after sleeping on it and having a good long rest from reading the orgasmic Stokes articles on cricinfo, I think my level head has finally returned after that awful end to last night.

I still think Paine should be dropped and a new captain appointed.

Steven Smith will never captain Australia again.
Regardless, He still has time to serve on his leadership ban

Harris, Bancroft, Head, Wade have not cemented a position. Warner also isn't allowed to lead.
Labuschagne hasn't nailed down a spot for good yet.

Unless we go the rare option of picking a bowler then we are stuck with Paine or Khawaja as captain.

Tigerssaints

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hobart f c
Tim did NOT ask to be capt, our previous capt and vice CHEATED
Tim and Wade , scored more runs in this series than Warner
NSW bowlers Cummins /Haze,wood could not execute 1 yorker
Lyon misses easy run out
Stokes MOM at Lords, MOS recent world cup ( better than Smith )
ump pathetic ,
Cummins asked for the review

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Not that Smith was the greatest captain, but FFS 1 mistake should not permanently make you unfit for leadership, it's utter nonsense.
I don’t think it should but with all the carry on and the ban Smith copped for not even tampering with the ball himself, it’s quite obvious that Cricket Australia most likely feel that way.

If a captain can’t control the dressing room and prevent individuals from going rogue and ball tampering how can he be trusted again? That would be the line of thought.

Sep 6, 2007
Hiding in the sand dunes
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So I gather England sacked Atherton as captain when he was found guilty of ball tampering, right?

And Faf du Plessis has obviously never captained South Africa, because he tampered with the ball twice.

And there's no way known that India would ever have made Tendulkar captain after he was caught ball tampering, either.

Right guys? That's how this works, right??

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So, where are Paine's defenders now?
Apart from the wasted review which was an utterly panicked shocker he didn't do much wrong as captain. Yes, we all made some different decisions at some points; but the way Stokes was going things would probably have gone the same way regardless. If the bowlers hadn't gone to water and bowled an Australian length as soon as the pressure came on, perhaps - but the captain can't bowl it for them.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Apart from the wasted review which was an utterly panicked shocker he didn't do much wrong as captain. Yes, we all made some different decisions at some points; but the way Stokes was going things would probably have gone the same way regardless. If the bowlers hadn't gone to water and bowled an Australian length as soon as the pressure came on, perhaps - but the captain can't bowl it for them.

So you're happy the way Paine gifted stokes 5 balls and then a single the entire time, which is exactly what he wanted? And you're happy the way he let our bowlers start to panic instead of slowing the game down and getting them to calm down?

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So you're happy the way Paine gifted stokes 5 balls and then a single the entire time, which is exactly what he wanted? And you're happy the way he let our bowlers start to panic instead of slowing the game down and getting them to calm down?
It was often four balls and a single. He could have brought the field up for the fifth and sixth ball of the over. I don't think it would have made one iota of difference, and it may simply have allowed easier boundaries on the fifth ball (and I admit boundaries were coming quickly anyway).

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It was often four balls and a single. He could have brought the field up for the fifth and sixth ball of the over. I don't think it would have made one iota of difference, and it may simply have allowed easier boundaries on the fifth ball (and I admit boundaries were coming quickly anyway).
He literally gave Stokes exactly what he wanted. Could have brought the field in tight on the offside and bowled full and wide with a sweeper and 3rd man. If Stokes wanted to walk across his stumps it left the leg side yorker open.

Plus who cares if we had given him 4 on the 5th ball of the over. He was hitting 6s anyway. We needed to bowl to Leach

Tigerssaints

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hobart f c
So, after sleeping on it and having a good long rest from reading the orgasmic Stokes articles on cricinfo, I think my level head has finally returned after that awful end to last night.

I still think Paine should be dropped and a new captain appointed.
PAINE DID NOT ASK TO BE CAPT, Smith and Warner as capt and vice CHEATED
(ok so Lyon s, goes as well,missed easy run out Cummins bowled crap , he goes, Hazwelwwood could not execute a yorker so he goes
Warner goes , (Paine and wade scored more runs in this series )
who is your call as captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back