Hill Bros: Stephen Signed/Bradley wants out

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree last years draft was better but this year isn’t as bad as you make out but we can disagree. In saying this if Geelong come and want to swap Tim kelly for pick 5 would do in a heartbeat. But I don’t think that is going to happen so we need to make the best of the situation.

Pick 5/6 (might get pushed back by Tom green bid):
Hayden Young
21/6/01, 186cm, 80kg
Vic Country/Murray Bushrangers
Defender/Midfielder

Ash brings the dash. The speedy half-back lights up games with his line-breaking pace from defence. We saw that during the carnival at the MCG against Vic Metro when he darted through traffic on an 80-metre run, and again in the frantic final quarter win over South Australia, when it was Ash's brilliant get-and-go that kept Country in the game. Ash is strong and clever and can also shut down an opponent in a role that is highly regarded by AFL clubs.

Pick 6/7
Dylan Stephens
8/1/01, 183cm, 72kg
South Australia/Norwood
Midfielder

Stephens is a midfielder who can cut up teams with his left foot and relentless running. In the mould of West Coast star Andrew Gaff, Stephens plays on the wing and can impact a game by accumulation. He's a nice kick and doesn't waste too many touches and has also played at senior level in the SANFL. Stephens finished the carnival in great form, gathering 33 disposals, six tackles, nine clearances against the Allies to claim All Australian honours.

I'd be very happy with these two kids if Hill ends up going and we don't land Kelly. Lots of run and skill there.

I remember watching the Vic Country vs. WA game where Young (I think it was him) was near the boundary in the centre of the ground and he hit this 45 degree kick about 50 metres into the corridor near the end of the game. The bloke who was running towards the F50 and marked it didn't even have to break stride. It was nuts!

I'd be very happy with these two kids if Hill ends up going and we don't land Kelly. Lots of run and skill there.

I remember watching the Vic Country vs. WA game where Young (I think it was him) was near the boundary in the centre of the ground and he hit this 45 degree kick about 50 metres into the corridor near the end of the game. The bloke who was running towards the F50 and marked it didn't even have to break stride. It was nuts!
Dylan Stephens is 100% first choice at 5/6. With Adelaide keen to trade out their top pick, there's a real good shout he's at our pick as well.

Young may well go before our first pick. My point was there is some good talent in the first round. Rowell, Anderson and Serong are widely regarded as the top 3. Then there is Young, Tom Green and Lachie Ash.

If we end up with pick 5 then there is a good chance we grab either Young or Ash.
Lachie Ash
21/6/01, 186cm/80kg
Vic Country/Murray Bushrangers
Def/mid

The speedy half-back has spent some more time in the midfield of late, taking his genuine zip into the engine room. Ash plays well most times he runs onto a field, no matter his position. He stood up at the national carnival as co-captain of Vic Country, taking some of the big moments and making them his. He enjoys tucking the ball under his arm and backing himself to break the lines, and very few can catch Ash when he's darting through traffic.

Devon Robertson, Sam Flanders and Dylan Stephens are options with our next pick. Then add Liam Henry soon after makes for a nice haul. I quite like the look of Sam Flanders.

It will take a few years for these fellas to come good but no reason they can’t contribute to some level next year along with Sam Sturt.

Getting back to point. We can use Langdon, SHill and our second round pick to use as trading pawns for some players.

Some of the players could (with necessary due diligence) incl. Callum Ah Chee (GCS - OOC 2019), Jack Martin (GCS - OOC 2019), Shai Bolton (Rich - OOC 2019), Billy Frampton (Port - OOC 2019), Hugh Greenwood (ADE - OOC 2019), Sam Powell Pepper (Port - OOC 2020), Sam Taylor (GWS - OOC 2020), Brandon Starcevich (Bris - OOC 2021), Zac Fisher (Carl - OOC 2021).

That's quashed one media rumor
And the Hagdorn eight is down one more. His eight highly likely incl. Kersten and Bennell along with BHill and Langdon - captain obvious stuff). SHill, Logue, Blakely re-signed and only Tucker to come.

If SHill wasn’t heading to GCS which apparently he wasn’t interested then the best we would have gotten was a third round pick. This is a win only if he can get himself fit and healthy.

And the Hagdorn eight is down one more. His eight highly likely incl. Kersten and Bennell along with BHill and Langdon - captain obvious stuff). SHill, Logue, Blakely re-signed and only Tucker to come.

If SHill wasn’t heading to GCS which apparently he wasn’t interested then the best we would have gotten was a third round pick. This is a win only if he can get himself fit and healthy.

I wouldn't know who Hackdorn is if people didn't mention him on here. I don't listen to 6pr

I had a wcoke mate tell me about how everyone is leaving Freo because the club has no culture.

In 8 years the only notable mention is Neale.

People are blinded by their hatred towards Freo

I wouldn't know who Hackdorn is if people didn't mention him on here. I don't listen to 6pr

I had a wcoke mate tell me about how everyone is leaving Freo because the club has no culture.

Here’s a 6pr promotional shot of Haggers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry - the only mention of this silly 8 leaving was on these boards and was clearly sensationalism. The guy isn’t worth any breath of air.

His reply will be that by sacking Ross we have managed to retain these players who were definitely leaving earlier in the year.

He's only just turned 29. If we get some competent S&C people he'll have plenty still left to offer. Massive off/pre-season coming up for him. Let's take it slow and get him right for 2020.

Great news.
Same age next season as Deledio when he started at GWS

heard it reported that Brad had a heavily front ended 5 yr contract.

He had an awesome 1st year, injury/scandal ravaged 2nd year, awesome 3rd year. He might be getting less in years 4 and 5, but reckon the girlfriend excuse his manager has cooked up is probably just trying to squeeze more out of Freo (to our overall lists detrimate) or anther club.

Freo clearly had planned for Brad to see out his days in purple and i'm sure he will get looked after at the end of this contract if he commits and keeps playing well. He will be in his prime at 28 and still able to try and get one more big contract out of the club.

If Brad had any spine he'd tell his manager to rack off and accept the deal he signed and get on with it.

Hope the club holds firm and makes him honor his contract. 2 years is a long time in footy.

really really good news! if we can get his body right and pick up stephens in the draft suddenly the loss of B Hill and Langdon doesn't seem too bleak!

Have to wonder why Shill signed now. No coach, Brad isn't sorted out, and has a bit of time to explore his options - though he might have already done that and got no interest..

Same age next season as Deledio when he started at GWS
I supposed similar cases really. Both had a solid run early only for their bodies to let them down rather badly in the later years. Delidio has had quite a few different issues though hasn't he? SHilly has one issue that we haven't really been able to fix.

We have 6-7months to get it right. Fingers crossed.

Have to wonder why Shill signed now. No coach, Brad isn't sorted out, and has a bit of time to explore his options - though he might have already done that and got no interest..
Most likely had this offer from us all year. No other big offers came through so he stuck with us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back