The state of the Giants and Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes you were given everything but facilities but your most successful coach to date noted that facilities aren't an excuse
I'm a Brisbane fan, stop saying "you". Whichever coach you are referring to was clearly talking out of his arse, since facilities are a huge part of player development.

the biggest leg up in the history of the game
No, that was GWS. Northern clubs need a leg up anyway, since they all have player retention issues when they're doing poorly, and as GWS have proved, even when they're doing well. Sydney might be about to find this out soon if Papley and Jones request trades.

unfortunately it was a very poor place to set a team up.
Oh good, another VFL navel gazer who knows absolutely nothing about Queensland, but thinks he's an expert.

Regardless of the performance of the admin that's on the club, my club was a joke for 30 years due to incompetence and we weren't given anything to help rectify our situation. Why are the GC different?
Because your club is the second most popular club in the country, is based in Melbourne, has the bloody grand final played at your own home ground, has a century of history, father-son recruits, and most importantly, can recruit anyone they want from the state that produces the most juniors without any fear of them demanding a trade home. All those advantages, that Gold Coast don't have. If you don't want them getting assistance, perhaps your club could stop recruiting their star players.

Have you been to Tassie? Honestly it’s nice. IMO would change the whole city having a fair dinkum AFL side with a premier staduim.

Yes i have, been to gold coast as well and that's nice. But 18-22 yr olds wont want to live/play in Tassie when Victorian clubs are offering $$$ and enticements to come and play in Victoria. Moving the club from Gold Coast to Tassie wont change anything in relation to the success of that club.

If first round draft selections are tied to 3 year contracts then we will see more not nominate or tell GC not to bother taking them. Its not fair on a kid to have to spend 3 years at a club that means nothing, and one that doesnt represent anything. Its a failed experiment. Relocate it.

it's not fair on a kid to put him in that uniform. abysmal! football isn't played on a beach FFS!

That doesn't mean the GC Suns as a franchise are worth it though. What about an investment into a popular club like the Southport Sharks or even something a little more inland? That could have been an option.

Inland where? The GC area is the biggest non capital city in Australia population wise and growing quickly. Southport doesn't really change anything, apart from potentially alienating some fans not from that area.

The crowds GC gets are pretty decent for a team in the bottom 2 every year on a 19 game losing streak... I don't know why some people think 13k at metricom for a team dead last is a bad outcome?

Eventually when they grow more and start winning that figure will grow to 20k average and no one will say a word..

That doesn't mean the GC Suns as a franchise are worth it though. What about an investment into a popular club like the Southport Sharks or even something a little more inland? That could have been an option.

Because going from a small club into a huge club is something that happens over time. The Sharks would also struggle in the same way Gold Coast has. They would have to hire new staff, organise facilities with the same funds the Suns initially got, they would need to train some of their current staff to deal with the new situation, deal with their current fan base and hope that they didn’t leave them, they would have to convert their list in a very short time so that they could be AFL standard very quickly, as well as plenty of other issues the Gold Coast still have.

They fix the cultural issues (which they look they are starting to) and player retention can quickly turn around. Three years ago Brisbane had the apparent issue of no-one wanting to be there. They made some critical senior level changes and have become an attractive place. Gold Coast has the potential to achieve something similar.

The AFL will be very patient and the Suns will see some success. At the start of the season three wins was probably a little more than most were expecting. Get another couple of young guns, retain what you have and bring in some more solid citizens/leaders and they can become competitive reasonably quickly.
You make far too much sense for this thread.

I actually think Dew has a bit to answer for here... apparently Ah Chee is about to request a trade too.

Two important players requesting a trade when the seasons been over 3 days is not good. Especially after another dismal season on field; and when there was already an exodus last year - when their 2 captains walked out.

Sorry but the environment/culture of the club must absolutely suck and Dew has shown nothing to suggest he’s improved it. He should be under the spotlight next year.

AFL should pay Clarko millions to coach there for a few years. Guarantee no players would be walking out/dreading getting drafted there.

But they don't have to. They're very welcome to go play in the VFL, SANFL or WAFL instead. The problem is they want the money and fame of the big time AND to dictate where they will go, without having put in the years to earn that privilege first. This is called entitlement.
I have no problem with draftees getting 3 year contracts but it needs to apply for every club not just the suns if the afl try doing otherwise it’s straight up restraint of trade you can’t have 2 kids going in the same draft made to be on different length contracts if they can’t convince a player to stay after 3 years that’s there problem!

AFL should pay Clarko millions to coach there for a few years. Guarantee no players would be walking out/dreading getting drafted there.

GC have tried the experienced coach - Rocket Eade who basically came in and said the club was a complete basket case and their training standards were rock bottom. The powers that be didn't like Rockets tough approach so i doubt they would like Clarko who is a maniac (in a good way).

I actually think Dew has a bit to answer for here... apparently Ah Chee is about to request a trade too.

Ive never understood why Dew was pumped up so much by the media. He was a player who got by on pure talent (never a good sign for a coach), did a "level 4 course" and suddenly he was the best coach available?

He has won 7 games in 2 years which is 1 better than their first two seasons.

if i was thinking outside the box i'd be getting Ross Lyon up there to try and sort the club out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha another thread, couldn't bump the 300 others that exist. Then see WillHayward made it, then I am not surprised after all.

It has been well established this was going to be similar to our first year in the AFL, internally the club expected this and by extensions I assume the AFL did too. Except this time we have competent people in positions, actual AFL facilities. I would wait another couple of years before we go for the throat.

Reading the replies I almost have Vic nuff bingo, all I need is someone to say 'Transient Population' and 'Drug Problems on the Gold Coast' and I win.

Gold Coast Titans will win the NRL spoon and their home crowds have almost halved since their first couple of seasons.

Gold Coast Suns have won the AFL spoon and their home crowds have almost halved since their first couple of seasons.

The only difference is the AFL has pumped millions of dollars into the Suns, Metricon Stadium and footy in the region and will continue to do so out of stubborn pride if nothing else.

"It is full of Victorians" - often given as a reason why a footy team there will work.

Yes but full of Victorians who chose to move away from the home of football.

Football is a winter sport too.

So its full of people who don't like cold weather and clearly aren't passionate about footy.

Last edited:
Subiaco Oval has (had) a footpath leading to the ground with commemorative stones of Sandover Medal winners. The MCG has a bunch of bronze statues of past sporting legends.

Metricon Stadium should have a walk of solitude to commemorate defunct sporting franchises.

'Hereth lies the Gold Coast Blaze. b. 2007, d. 2012. Their star shone brightly for a short time'

Subiaco Oval has (had) a footpath leading to the ground with commemorative stones of Sandover Medal winners. The MCG has a bunch of bronze statues of past sporting legends.

Metricon Stadium should have a walk of solitude to commemorate defunct sporting franchises.

'Hereth lies the Gold Coast Blaze. b. 2007, d. 2012. Their star shone brightly for a short time'
To be fair, just looked up a list of failed NBL teams, it is vast.

Think again if gc is going to fold.

HQ are hell bent on growing the game in rl territory, for that to happen they need teams in nsw and qld to be successful to attract fan interest.

One would argue that that wish is futile, well that argument is irrelevant - HQ ain't gonna give up the gc experiment.

You'd have to be blinder than a welders dog to not see the amount of money siphoned into it has not borne fruit. Again HQ don't give a flying they're gonna persist with it until it either works or is proven that it will never possibly work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back