Recommitted Shaun Burgoyne [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Shouldn’t Gill and the AFL step in here as Burgs is a Hawks 3 time premiership player and should finish his career in the Brown & Gold.

Would love to see him continue but best of luck to Burgs whatever he decides ..... an out and out champion of the game a legend. Mr Fix It!

I hope he stays, even if the risk of age-related injuries means he doesn't play a lot of games. He is a great leader and role model, mentor and fatherly figure to those that need one. He hasn't lost any of his abilities, he may be a little slower than a decade ago but still can slice through the opposition with his jedi like powers defying time and motion. Ok, maybe that's a tad OTT but I really don't want him to leave as Hawthorn is a better club with him in it. We have been giving him a one year contract for the last 7 years and I hope he accepts the 2020 one, but if chooses to take a 3 year deal at the GC for his and his family's future, I will be nothing but happy for Silk. Would be of great assistance to Stewie Dew, much like Hodge to Fages. It makes sense, but I still hope he stays another year (at least).

I think Gold Coast really need a player of his calibre. Should consider targeting other Hawks in Puopolo and Smith as well.

I think Gold Coast really need a player of his calibre. Should consider targeting other Hawks in Puopolo and Smith as well.

Smith is likely to be traded to the Bulldogs. The other Hawthorn player who could sign with Gold Coast is Birchall.

Puopolo will retire.

Least you clear up some valuable salary cap space .

Not all doom and gloom for the Hawks

Cap space isn’t really an issue though. There’s plenty of retirements coming up over the next two years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously question - What has allowed him to physically perform at a high level at such an advanced age for a footballer? Many considered him to be nearly "shot" at age 27 when he left Port Adelaide, yet he's now going on 37, and looks to continue on his playing career.

Did Hawthorn have some "magic" way of "fixing" him and extending his career? Were his original physical issues overstated? Is it just genetics or luck? Is it simply not thinking he has to retire just because he's getting older? Is he actually silently struggling and grinding away, and perhaps clinging on for the money/lack of other interests outside of footy?

Cap space isn’t really an issue though. There’s plenty of retirements coming up over the next two years.

How deep will Hawthorn cut this off-season?

As an outsider, I could see a scenario where all of the following are not on their list in 2020:

Shaun Burgoyne
Jarryd Roughead
Paul Puopolo
Grant Birchall
Tim Mohr (zero games in 2019)
Ryan Shoenmakers (zero games in 2019)
Will Langford (zero games in 2019)
Darren Minchington (zero games in 2019)
Teia Miles (zero games in 2019)

Too far? Any more that could or should be on the way out?

Burgoyne 1 year + coaching role to follow.
Smith 2 or 3 years, still playing well.
Puopolo nope.

Talk of 2 or 3 years for Burgoyne is nuts. Missed 5 games last year and 4 this year and is 37 soon. Part of the reason he's played so long is he hasn't had to do all the heavy lifting in the second half of his career. He had the luxury of playing in a system where he could be a role player and then play in bursts when and where needed. Perfect fit. I fear if he goes to Gold Coast they'll need him to do too much and his body will let him down.

As an outsider, I could see a scenario where all of the following are not on their list in 2020:

Shaun Burgoyne
Jarryd Roughead
Paul Puopolo
Grant Birchall

There will be about 12-15 list changes.

Here’s how I see it...

Roughead - retired
Burgoyne - likely to leave as a free agent
Birchall - likely to leave as a free agent
Smith - likely to be traded out
Ceglar - likely to be traded out
Glass - delisted
Schoenmakers - retire
Puopolo - retire
Mirra - delisted
Minchington - delisted
Mohr - retire
Miles - delisted
Greaves - delisted

Already signed
Frawley
McEvoy

On the verge of signing
Henderson
Sicily

Rookie elevations
Jiath
Jones

Shaun Burgoyne
Jarryd Roughead
Paul Puopolo
Grant Birchall

Surely next year the ‘Too Old’ tag will have to stop!

Here’s how I see it...

Roughead - retired
Glass - delisted
Schoenmakers - retire
Puopolo - retire
Mirra - delisted
Minchington - delisted
Mohr - retire
Miles - delisted
Greaves - delisted

Already signed
Frawley
McEvoy

On the verge of signing
Henderson
Sicily

Rookie elevations
Jiath
Jones

Glass has signed an extension recently

Smith is likely to be traded to the Bulldogs. The other Hawthorn player who could sign with Gold Coast is Birchall.

Puopolo will retire.

I don't know if Birchall is best 22 worthy. Like Gold Coast have Harbrow and Hanley for experience and guys like Joyce, Ballard and McLennan who they may want to get games into.

Surely the 3 year deal isn’t a playing deal?

1 with a possible trigger with an assistant role afterwards would be my guess.
Hodge and Lewis went 2 and 3 years after leaving hawthorn and neither was playing as well as Burgoyne has this season.

Here’s how I see it...

Roughead - retired
Glass - delisted
Schoenmakers - retire
Puopolo - retire
Mirra - delisted
Minchington - delisted
Mohr - retire
Miles - delisted
Greaves - delisted

Already signed
Frawley
McEvoy

On the verge of signing
Henderson
Sicily

Rookie elevations
Jiath
Jones
Glass signed an extension
Ceglar is an UFA - only will be traded if a club doesn't want to dilute their FA compo
Can't see Puopolo retiring, still played 22 games despite drop in form, not many on list can do what he does

Wouldn't be surprised if Brand goes either delisted or looking for opportunity

Unless we are bringing a number of free agents in i can't see us getting rid of 12 players. Some of those others might stay a result

Shaun Burgoyne
Jarryd Roughead
Paul Puopolo
Grant Birchall

your probably pretty close to the mark.

Might lose Isaac Smith & Ceglar as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back