2019 New Zealand Tour of Sri Lanka (2 Tests, 3 T20Is)

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
Well, I have to say I thought NZ had gone too slow once they got on top on day four. Fantastic finish for them, and proof that 2-match series are not enough.
But does it financially make sense for some of these teams to be playing 3+ test match series? That's something a lot of people seem to ignore. Apart from the top 3 countries would some of these teams make money playing long test series?

But does it financially make sense for some of these teams to be playing 3+ test match series? That's something a lot of people seem to ignore. Apart from the top 3 countries would some of these teams make money playing long test series?

I guess that's part of the hope of the Test Championship - providing more context to series may make them more interesting to the viewers, leading to higher revenues that would encourage boards to play more games.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I guess that's part of the hope of the Test Championship - providing more context to series may make them more interesting to the viewers, leading to higher revenues that would encourage boards to play more games.
Except the WTC actively encourages shorter series. You get the same points for winning 2-0 as 5-0, but one is far easier than the other.
And penalties for over-rates are not scaled like points for matches are. Playing longer series means more scope for being penalised with a series.

Except the WTC actively encourages shorter series. You get the same points for winning 2-0 as 5-0, but one is far easier than the other.
And penalties for over-rates are not scaled like points for matches are. Playing longer series means more scope for being penalised with a series.

Points wise yes. But if the Test championship makes Tests a more valuable commercial commodity, then the boards will play more of them. Money will generally trump results.

But it's also higher risk, so if your players stuff up in one match you end up with it being 60 points each.

Back