Coach North Melbourne Football Department Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There are some footy folk who question why you need a mentor. If you aren't good enough to be senior coach why are you appointed. I have some sympathy for that position but I think it depends how you define the role. Bolton could be a good get. Had a crack at Richardson.

Definitely some at the club are questioning the value of a 'mentor' and how that actually works.I run a team of 24 and couldn't think of anything worse than having someone looking over my shoulder. And again just because we missed on Richardson doesn't necessarily mean we lost out. I look forwrd to following up on that scenario

Definitely some at the club are questioning the value of a 'mentor' and how that actually works.I run a team of 24 and couldn't think of anything worse than having someone looking over my shoulder. And again just because we missed on Richardson doesn't necessarily mean we lost out. I look forwrd to following up on that scenario

Save the money & spend it somewhere else.

Better conditioning staff for starters.

Save the money & spend it somewhere else.

Better conditioning staff for starters.

Yes probably wouldn't hurt, I think you have a senior coach and you let him coach, if he's no good you get another one. It's still a fairly simple game, play to your strengths and if possible have as many hf's rotate through the middle as you can, reduce your dependence on individuals in the guts, they cannot tag everyone. If your'e winning more than your share of clearances that makes your back lines life so much easier.

If you have a couple of marking targets up forward it becomes somewhat easier again , you just need to compliment them with some skilled smaller types to be at their feet. We saw yesterday that Brown was double-teamed, that should allow somewhere on the ground for an advantage to us.

Can’t help but feel disappointed not landing Richo. Think he would’ve been a brilliant partner for Shaw and a great mentor. Need to find someone well credentialed for that role ASAP

Must say I was super surprised when I heard Richo accepted the role at Melbourne with no defined role as yet. Thought it was interesting that they hadn’t even really established what his role was and even in that scenario he found Melbourne more appealing. Of course it’s only what I heard on radio and I can’t say I’ve read heaps about it. I wonder if North backed off for some reason? Anyway, guess we will never know but absolutely crucial without stating the obvious that North get someone with exceptional experience for Shaw.

Not sure if the manchild Barrett covered it with any ‘inside’ (lol) info but I can’t bring myself to read his pathetic articles.

Just compiling our National recruiting Team

Matthew Finnegan - National Recruiting Manager - Vic Region
Trent Mosbey - Assistant Recruiting Manager
Ben Birthisel - Recruiting Officer SA & NT
Rhys Harwood - Recruiting Assistant - NSW/QLD & AFLW List Manager
Barry Prendergast Recruiting Officer TAS & NGA Talent Manager
Mark Barnard is dedicated to watching talent for future picks,
Nick Byrne is the club's scout of AFL-listed players

Article From 2018:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...y/news-story/9159d96432616ba0601739b6223427cc

NORTH Melbourne has bolstered its recruiting team with the addition of former Fremantle scout Trent Mosbey.

Mosbey, who spent seven years in the west, has also held positions as a part-time recruiter at Richmond and Melbourne.

Most recently at Fremantle, he was the draft manager for South Australia, working under highly-rated list chief Brad Lloyd.

Mosbey replaces Andrew Carson at the Roos, who has moved into the role of VFL football manager.

Article from 2017:

There are two new faces in charge of North's division this year, with long-time Geelong recruiter Michael McMahon taking on the list manager's position and Mark Finnigan elevated to recruiting manager. North have elected to have additional full-time staff ahead of expanding their network of part-timers (they have eight in part-time positions around the country, including a manager in Western Australia). Each of the club's recruiters look after particular areas. Ben Birthisel follows the South Australian and Northern Territory talent, Rhys Harwood keeps across the players coming through in Queensland, New South Wales and Tasmania, and Finnigan oversees the Victorian region. Mark Barnard is dedicated to watching talent for future picks, and Nick Byrne is the club's scout of AFL-listed players. Former Dees scouting boss Barry Prendergast is in a talent ID role for the club's Next Generation Academy, which could produce a talented pick next year in Tarryn Thomas. Former list manager Cameron Joyce, who has moved into the football manager's seat at Arden Street, remains on the club's list management committee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pessimistic post but has any development or assistant coach or backroom staff member actually gone on to greener pastures once they leave Arden street?

Daniel Daly, Steve Saunders, Brad Green, Josh Drummond, Neville Stibbard to name a few.
Seems if you don’t succeed at North you will never achieve anything.

Geoff Walsh is the only one I can think of who came and went along with Rawlings.

I reckon he was also mega pi**ed off when he was overlooked for the caretaker role

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hard to argue what a lucky ride Rhyce got going from fourth banana to caretaker to senior coach.
Hard to argue it’s not all luck based.
Wonder if Tudor was too loyal to Brad and that’s why Rhyce got the chocolates

Pessimistic post but has any development or assistant coach or backroom staff member actually gone on to greener pastures once they leave Arden street?

Daniel Daly, Steve Saunders, Brad Green, Josh Drummond, Neville Stibbard to name a few.

Geoff Walsh is the only one I can think of who came and went along with Rawlings.

Isn't Steve Saunders doing well for the fully functioning Adelaide Crows?

Just compiling our National recruiting Team

Matthew Finnegan - National Recruiting Manager - Vic Region
Trent Mosbey - Assistant Recruiting Manager
Ben Birthisel - Recruiting Officer SA & NT
Rhys Harwood - Recruiting Assistant - NSW/QLD & AFLW List Manager
Barry Prendergast Recruiting Officer TAS & NGA Talent Manager
Mark Barnard is dedicated to watching talent for future picks,
Nick Byrne is the club's scout of AFL-listed players

Article From 2018:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...y/news-story/9159d96432616ba0601739b6223427cc

NORTH Melbourne has bolstered its recruiting team with the addition of former Fremantle scout Trent Mosbey.

Mosbey, who spent seven years in the west, has also held positions as a part-time recruiter at Richmond and Melbourne.

Most recently at Fremantle, he was the draft manager for South Australia, working under highly-rated list chief Brad Lloyd.

Mosbey replaces Andrew Carson at the Roos, who has moved into the role of VFL football manager.

Article from 2017:

There are two new faces in charge of North's division this year, with long-time Geelong recruiter Michael McMahon taking on the list manager's position and Mark Finnigan elevated to recruiting manager. North have elected to have additional full-time staff ahead of expanding their network of part-timers (they have eight in part-time positions around the country, including a manager in Western Australia). Each of the club's recruiters look after particular areas. Ben Birthisel follows the South Australian and Northern Territory talent, Rhys Harwood keeps across the players coming through in Queensland, New South Wales and Tasmania, and Finnigan oversees the Victorian region. Mark Barnard is dedicated to watching talent for future picks, and Nick Byrne is the club's scout of AFL-listed players. Former Dees scouting boss Barry Prendergast is in a talent ID role for the club's Next Generation Academy, which could produce a talented pick next year in Tarryn Thomas. Former list manager Cameron Joyce, who has moved into the football manager's seat at Arden Street, remains on the club's list management committee.

Trent Mosbey = The How I Met Your Mother

Isn't Danny Daly Chris Fagan's right hand man/strategy coach ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back