Autopsy 2019 autopsy: 9 wins, 13th on ladder, 2 coaches

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Hughes was probably the most improved player this season, for me. Came in the team, improved as time went on. He’s a competitor, goes in hard and he marks elite.
Many more players then had worst games then him. Unfortunately as a defender, he’s the one getting the blame - had a few brain fazes that happened at the wrong time

Yeah he reads the play well, especially when the ball is in the air. He's brave going back with the flight and he's a very good mark. Tough at ground level too - off the top of my head the two best hits I can remember all season came from him. And he knows how to consistently get his hands on the ball.

Plenty of upside to go with his downside of occasional brain fades and skill errors.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Hughes is just awful. Reminds me too much of Igbo. We need smart, natural footballers. Not athletes who need to stop and think about it.
Igbo, as you say, was the difference in winning us the GF in 2013.
The kick to set up Mundy in 2015 against Richmond after Richmond kick in? Ibbo’s marking.
So there’s a place for Hughes. Besides I thought Blakely drop off was major, and he didn’t play as many games. Same for perhaps Cerra, who never got going.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Hughes is just awful. Reminds me too much of Igbo. We need smart, natural footballers. Not athletes who need to stop and think about it.

Ibbo plays on Gunston in 13 we may have a premiership.

You may not want to deal in hypotheticals (are we still allowed to quote Rossisms?) but it's an equally hypothetical dreamworld where none of our players bring weaknesses to the table. I still think Hughes' positives outweigh his negatives. I'll be interested to see how he progresses (or otherwise) under a new coach. He's just hit that 50 mark where your apprenticeship is considered over.

Jul 18, 2010
Australia.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth.
Maybe if you've got time (ha - yeah right) do a "tackles against" tally.
13th in opponent tackles.
17th in own tackles.
Cats at number one for most tackles laid, 2nd for tackles against.
"Bruise inviting" football seems to be working out pretty well for them...

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
Ibbo plays on Gunston in 13 we may have a premiership.

You may not want to deal in hypotheticals (are we still allowed to quote Rossisms?) but it's an equally hypothetical dreamworld where none of our players bring weaknesses to the table. I still think Hughes' positives outweigh his negatives. I'll be interested to see how he progresses (or otherwise) under a new coach. He's just hit that 50 mark where your apprenticeship is considered over.
I do recall all of his positives. Just so frustrating at times as well. Not convinced Hughes has those yet. I guess we wait and see how players slot into a new system.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
13th in opponent tackles.
17th in own tackles.
Cats at number one for most tackles laid, 2nd for tackles against.
"Bruise inviting" football seems to be working out pretty well for them...

Interesting. I might have a look further into to this and crunch some stats to find a pattern. But later tonight after I get home.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just going to focus on little positives.

Most improved newbies - Hughes, Tucker, Brayshaw

Somewhat improved/something to work with - Crowden, Cerra, Logue, Duman

Those 4 have the most potential to improve under a new coach, including Blakely who has had injury issues and realistically has been played out of position for most of the year.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well yeah, yes and no.
Using your example, it’s fair to say Ed will never be able to do the pinpoint kicks Walters and the Hills do frequently. But he can definitely still improve his 30-40m kicks to a leading forward. Practice it 1000 times in the off season to make sure the height and trajectory of the ball is just right. Or learning to do better shot selection. Or learn to read play better to kick to advantage. Little improvement can go a long way. 3 less turnovers could be the difference and translate to an extra goal a game.

Yes, everyone can improve in their endeavours, that's not debatable.

My point is that we don't have the raw talent in the team. Most of our list is cobbled together out the last 3 drafts (more than 3/4 of the list), not spread out over a decade plus of drafting and trading.

Sep 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I agree with Nat Fyfe that you could build a great side around our spine..if they stay on the park.
We could be alright next year if the players take to the new game plan. I would resist wholesale delistings as we may be surprised as to how struggling players can find a change of coach can give them a new lease of life.
Lets shed Sandi, Ballas, Kersten, Bennell and trade Langdon and Bhilly. That gives 6 new players onto the main list.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Do you think Freo will move forward next season?
Yes I can see freo Moving forward..... I posted 9 wins being an omen.

Freo got 9 wins in 2011, ironically an injury ravaged 2nd half to the season hurt us that year. We got 14 wins the next season in 2012. Made finals and beat Geelong at the MCG.

We got 9 wins in 2002. In 2003 we also made finals with 14 wins as well in 5th spot but lost to essendon at homin that elim final.

With a good injury run an a fair draw, 14 wins for freo in 2020 isnt impossible.

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes I can see freo Moving forward..... I posted 9 wins being an omen.

Freo got 9 wins in 2011, ironically an injury ravaged 2nd half to the season hurt us that year. We got 14 wins the next season in 2012. Made finals and beat Geelong at the MCG.

We got 9 wins in 2002. In 2003 we also made finals with 14 wins as well in 5th spot but lost to essendon at homin that elim final.

With a good injury run an a fair draw, 14 wins for freo in 2020 isnt impossible.

How's this for an omen? Every coach that has taken Freo to finals has failed to do it the following year.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Just going to focus on little positives.

Most improved newbies - Hughes, Tucker, Brayshaw

Somewhat improved/something to work with - Crowden, Cerra, Logue, Duman

Those 4 have the most potential to improve under a new coach, including Blakely who has had injury issues and realistically has been played out of position for most of the year.

Crowden is an interesting one. Reckon he was on track for the scrap heap, may still be, but he finished the season doing his bit in the firsts. He's always going to be a bit of battler and a depth sort rather than lock 22, but he was fairly neat and tidy in the last few games, worked hard and put pressure on and bobbed up in good spots.

Last game wasn't great, but you know, the whole team looked washed up, but I've been turned around with him - you're right to put him in that category.

Last edited:
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Reckon Conca had a bloody good year. Plenty were sceptical but he had some really good games and played his role excellently.

Tick.
got him as a free agent, he has been solid so I cant complain. its way better than trading 2 2nd rounders for Daniel Hannebery whos sadly injury prone.

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Reckon Conca had a bloody good year. Plenty were sceptical but he had some really good games and played his role excellently.

Tick.
He was well and truly on my $hitlist because of some of his poor turnovers at the start of the season.
But once I realised what he offered with his leadership to a young team in rebuild lacking leaders, I was able to see more positives than negatives ... so a tick from me too.

Back