Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
The entire argument of getting a trade pick etc is redundant in my thinking because that trade pick could say up yours I'm outta here, I want a trade to whoever in X years time. If a guy who no one wanted, gets given his opportunity late from a club he has ties to through family and barracked for then what hope have we got, obviously not loyalty. Sorry Paps, your contracted next year, see you at pre season training. Show so ******* balls swans head honchos, otherwise contracts are a ******* joke.

Mumford given away for pick 35 lmaoo
Mitchell pick 14 described by "Gerard Healy as one of the worst trades in the history of trading"
Membrey/Biggs both cbf looking up pick 40 or something
Newman pick 40's

WAKE UP ffs make a stand with Papley stop getting taken up the arse by clubs who are trying to bring us down.
Good thing in this scenario is that those guys were uncontracted (and only the first two Best 22, with cap problems preventing a competitive offer with others), whereas Papley still has another year on his deal. I'm sure we can get a fair return for him, or else he stays in the red and white next year.

Coniglio is a RFA, Blues will make sure the contract means GWS will take the compo pick, could be as high as pick 12 if they lose first week against the Dogs. Would give GWS 10, 11, 12, first one burnt to match our bid on Green!
I think you’ve missed the info where GWS will match terms. Terms are life of contract, not front or rear ended as per AFL guidelines. Carlton will not get Coniglio and Papley for pick 8 or pick 8 plus AFL compo.

Mumford given away for pick 35 lmaoo
Mitchell pick 14 described by "Gerard Healy as one of the worst trades in the history of trading"
Membrey/Biggs both cbf looking up pick 40 or something
Newman pick 40's

WAKE UP ffs make a stand with Papley stop getting taken up the arse by clubs who are trying to bring us down.
Well there was that one time where we traded a rookie to Collingwood for a future second round pick.

Well there was that one time where we traded a rookie to Collingwood for a future second round pick.
If its the one I'm thinking of, it was Sam Murray and 2018 pick 50 for 2018 pick 31

Initially I was perplexed as to the Papely talk, but it would seem a step up in his relationship with a long term girlfriend who does not want to move interstate has forced his hand. We always approach these situations like adults and will explore what we can do to get a deal done this year that advances our position in other areas of the ground.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim Watson on SEN claiming Papley's GF lives in Melbourne.

No I don't know how either how Watson came to be expert on Pap's private life.

But Watson made the reasonable point that Sydney had lots of eligible young ladies too. Maybe Pap found that his pickup line about being in the Swans leadership group didn't work north of the Murray.

Tim Watson on SEN claiming Papley's GF lives in Melbourne.

No I don't know how either how Watson came to be expert on Pap's private life.

But Watson made the reasonable point that Sydney had lots of eligible young ladies too. Maybe Pap found that his pickup line about being in the Swans leadership group didn't work north of the Murray.
Apparently he's been dating this girl since before the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back