AFL Corruption

This is some tin foil hat stuff. Some pretty out there statements here.

The reason we are in this position is not because of afl corruption, ambassador payments or draft manipulation - it is pure and simply because between 2007 - 2013 we drafted 2 - 3 AFL quality players. And when you look through all of those drafts there were better options available. We didn't have the best recruiters in place. In fact, I have heard we were one of the only clubs that did not conduct psychological assessments on potential draftees to get an understanding of their resilience.

Our former club officials, not the afl, are to blame. The context for Gold Coast in particular is so different to us in terms of difficulties retaining players. We are a big Melbourne club who play big games...we have an advantage over gws and gold coast on that basis alone.

Seriously if we want to get out of the lower end of the ladder we need good recruiting, good player development and clever trades for players like Newman, Setterfield, Marchbank and so forth. We do not, and never have, deserved a priority pick. Let's move on because this is embarrassing. If I was an opposition fan read this I'd be laughing at this childish "woe is me the afl are corrupt" rant.
are you single? :hearts:

Loyal Lion

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy/Brisbane Lions
You probably dodged a bullet by not getting Cogs. I get a bit concerned when one player is touted as receiving that much money. Sort of hinders your salary cap for years for future signings. You can grab Lewy Taylor from us for half the price. He would fit in very well in your team in the forward pocket. Good little player, knows where the goals are. In fact, I reckon that Carlton is the perfect fit for him. As a Lion's supporter, I'm glad that Jarryd Lyons didn't display this year's form last year, otherwise Gil would have come out & said to the Coasters, "I hope he stays there on the coast, sign him up". Man what an absolute steal that guy is for us! It's like going to a garage sale & finding the 1963 Scanlen's card of Polly Farmer (This is the Holy Grail for card collectors like me!) for $5!

Having worked in the industry (I was desperate for work at the time), this is an underrated post. Completely on point.
wick, can you give me a redbook price on a 6 year old civic diesel with 120k on the clock? excellent condition, one owner?

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
The AFL's kickbacks should be entirely about growing the presence and facilities of these clubs, not continually allowing them extra money and player wealth to peddle players like they are livestock and merchandising opportunities.

GWS will eventually collapse under the weight of its overpaid incompetence if this continues, exactly like Gold Coast have, and Brisbane almost did (and may still). Not even Fremantle and Port are in particularly safe spots.

The counterpoint to that is obviously that Melbourne are in part a basket case because of exactly the kind of intervention I'm describing, but if the AFL took things to a global stage and brought in people for a consultancy role, I suspect things would be very different.

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
You probably dodged a bullet by not getting Cogs. I get a bit concerned when one player is touted as receiving that much money. Sort of hinders your salary cap for years for future signings. You can grab Lewy Taylor from us for half the price. He would fit in very well in your team in the forward pocket. Good little player, knows where the goals are. In fact, I reckon that Carlton is the perfect fit for him. As a Lion's supporter, I'm glad that Jarryd Lyons didn't display this year's form last year, otherwise Gil would have come out & said to the Coasters, "I hope he stays there on the coast, sign him up". Man what an absolute steal that guy is for us! It's like going to a garage sale & finding the 1963 Scanlen's card of Polly Farmer (This is the Holy Grail for card collectors like me!) for $5!

Like the post, most of the frustration I think isn't around the fact we didn't get Cogs. But around the AFL involvement/lack of transparency and integrity.
Was discussing Lions vs GCS with a friend earlier in the week. At one stage you guys were bleeding talented players off the top of my head you lost Doc, Yeo and Polec? Who were young talented kids at the time, you identified the off field culture/retention issues and are now thriving. GCS asking for assistance retaining players is very odd.

Kismet

Premium Platinum
Jan 30, 2009
Mornington
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Barnsley, Detroit Tigers
This thread is remarkable for accusations against the AFL based on nothing but assumptions laced with paranoia.

For those saying the competition is unequal, I’d suggest go back and have a look at this year’s results and the plethora of ‘upsets’.

Do the AFL make mistakes? Of course they do, but are they corrupt? Give me a spell.

Coniglio remaining with GWS says far more about the good character of the player, and I believe any ambassadorial payment would’ve been irrelevant in his decision. Gil’s comment about him preferring Coniglio to stay at GWS might’ve been ill advised, but hardly is evidence of corruption.

The competition undoubtedly has problems, but I’d argue it’s as healthy as it has ever been, and with the probability of a Tasmanian team entering the fray, I think it’ll keep getting better.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Loyal Lion

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy/Brisbane Lions
Like the post, most of the frustration I think isn't around the fact we didn't get Cogs. But around the AFL involvement/lack of transparency and integrity.
Was discussing Lions vs GCS with a friend earlier in the week. At one stage you guys were bleeding talented players off the top of my head you lost Doc, Yeo and Polec? Who were young talented kids at the time, you identified the off field culture/retention issues and are now thriving. GCS asking for assistance retaining players is very odd.
Yes & I think that it gets back to having the right people at the club ie Swann, Noble, Fagan & building that culture where the players want to be there. It's been a very impressive turnaround since the "Go Home 5" period. Yeo was the big one that hurts a lot still! He is an out & out gun.

Dec 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
When the goal is money and crowd size focused and not competition you're in the entertainment business and not running a sports competition.

Handing draft picks to poir clubs because you want to get return on your investment is a smart business move, horrible in the realm of legitimate competition.

What IS corrupt is notifying a club about an investigation at your doorstep so you can get rid of the evidence. Essendon did that, Demetriou did that.

What IS corrupt is being in charge of a stadium and shoe horning yourself into running a club and being actively involved in a deal that financially cripples one to line your pockets through another. Ian Collins did that to us.

Gil is an idiot, a buffoon and someone I wish wasn't in charge, but not corrupt.

Pafloyul

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2004
Somewhere else
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
'Oh but why are they always against Carlton?' it's hilarious. Them allowing Judd to Carlton with the Visy deal that got him to agree to play for us is worse than anything the AFL has done here. Yet we were ok with that.

So many bottom lips on the ground today, hilarious

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
Yeah, and look how that turned out. You could argue that they knew all about the Messiah Complex and fed it.

Dropagrogan

Debutant
Aug 14, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Well if gill the dill kept his mouth shut, there would not be a disscussion!!The afl have had previous with franklin.

Surely I am not the only one that sees the corruption and hypocracy being practiced right under our nose by Gil and the AFL.

First Gil comes out and makes it known he wants the Cog to stay then sure as anything, he stays on the phony excuse for a salary cap breach...making it impossible for anyone else to have a go.

The Giants now have 3 guys on "ambassdor" money, effectively giving them a much deeper salary cap than other teams.

Now the Suns are set to get a priority pick after a 4 win season, when last year we won TWO and were denied the same opportunity for a priority pick.

We have arguable been worse than the Suns over the last 4 years, yet no pick for us.

This is not equalization. Gil is simply proping up his "growth areas" and neglecting the fact that this is supposed to be a fair competition.

This is the AFL being run as a business and not as a competition.

Am I wrong? Am I the only one wondering why more people and clubs arnt up in arms about it all?

It is a business.

Overall memberships for clubs are growing …

Attendance are up ...

Record sponsorship deals and TV/Foxtel rites.

Not sure what you are implying?

That the AFL is FAN driven?

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
Always been this way.

No priority pick for us, long-term this will be a benefit, since we will earn what we get on our own merits. No hand-outs.

We can ignore head office. We are on a mission.

You forgot the rest of the quote...

tenor.gif

dlb99

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Which most likely will fall short.

Bet you said they same for Dogs and Tigs 5 years ago.
As Kevin Garnett once said, anything is possible!!
We are on a mission, head office can’t halt the Teague Train, a runaway express.

BlueTongue

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2009
The Void
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
TEAM 17 (Flags)
Surely I am not the only one that sees the corruption and hypocracy being practiced right under our nose by Gil and the AFL.

First Gil comes out and makes it known he wants the Cog to stay then sure as anything, he stays on the phony excuse for a salary cap breach...making it impossible for anyone else to have a go.

The Giants now have 3 guys on "ambassdor" money, effectively giving them a much deeper salary cap than other teams.

Now the Suns are set to get a priority pick after a 4 win season, when last year we won TWO and were denied the same opportunity for a priority pick.

We have arguable been worse than the Suns over the last 4 years, yet no pick for us.

This is not equalization. Gil is simply proping up his "growth areas" and neglecting the fact that this is supposed to be a fair competition.

This is the AFL being run as a business and not as a competition.

Am I wrong? Am I the only one wondering why more people and clubs arnt up in arms about it all?
I would also add that in what has been by far the worst season on record for supremely bad umpiring calls, not to mention video reviews underutilized or not utilized correctly (it's supposed to be there to determine if a ball was touched over the line or the ball hit a post, not if someone touched it of the boot at the 50m line), we have had a VERY quiet media. And even when a caller on SEN brings it up, they are spoken over the top of and ushered off as quickly as possible.

Almost like the football media has received a directive from the AFL that Umpires are off limits I would suspect. Never thought I'd say it but Gil is becoming worse than VLad.

BlueAbroad

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Got this sent in to me.

You have to take these things with a grain of salt.

We're on the way up. Not long now 👍

youtube.com/watch?v=ROVw90HxP1I&feature=youtu.be

Back