AFL Corruption

Got this sent in to me.

You have to take these things with a grain of salt.

We're on the way up. Not long now 👍

youtube.com/watch?v=ROVw90HxP1I&feature=youtu.be
Link doesn’t work

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Meh it doesn’t really worry me. As long as we have an uneven draw and the Grand Final always being played in Melbourne we are going to have an uneven playing field anyway.

Loramarthalas

All Australian
Jul 11, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Carlton
A lot of people in this thread seem pretty nonchalant about how the AFL has radically changed the way the competition works. Ten years ago, we had a functioning equalisation system that aimed to keep clubs from sitting at the bottom of the ladder for too long. We gave them extra picks to make sure they didn't spend a decade or more at the bottom. Teams were able to keep their biggest stars or were rewarded with draft picks when those stars were traded out.

Those things are gone.

Now, unless you're GC or GWS, you won't get any help from priority picks. Now, if lose a marquee player, you'll get a token draft pick in return. Not to mention that free agency has benefited only the richest and most successful clubs. What's the result? Teams stuck at the bottom for longer than ever before. Teams unable to climb out of the cellar. The rich and successful clubs entrenched at the top of the ladder. We're heading into yet another final series that features Geelong, Collingwood, and West Coast. Hawthorn only missed by the skin of their teeth.

Are people here seriously okay with this bullshit?

Blutopia

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
What did they lie about?

What's next...we are all ruled by a one world government?

Get over it. Stop being whiny babies because Cogs didn't choose us.
We pretty much are.. The world bank owned USA only has to bomb Iran and North Korea and enforce a reserve bank there and this will be the end result.

The AFL is corrupt and will do everything it can to ensure its agenda prevails but well run clubs can overcome this and still win some silverware along the way. Cogs would have been great but I’m sure SOS Will get us a better deal in a different way.

The first step to overcoming corruption is awareness of it and then action from there.

If more people knew that the every country that USA declared war on ended up with a reserve banking system shortly after then they might wake up to a one world government agenda. But they won’t so let’s just hope they can be aware of the corrupt afl instead. 😉

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
A lot of people in this thread seem pretty nonchalant about how the AFL has radically changed the way the competition works. Ten years ago, we had a functioning equalisation system that aimed to keep clubs from sitting at the bottom of the ladder for too long. We gave them extra picks to make sure they didn't spend a decade or more at the bottom. Teams were able to keep their biggest stars or were rewarded with draft picks when those stars were traded out.

Those things are gone.

Now, unless you're GC or GWS, you won't get any help from priority picks. Now, if lose a marquee player, you'll get a token draft pick in return. Not to mention that free agency has benefited only the richest and most successful clubs. What's the result? Teams stuck at the bottom for longer than ever before. Teams unable to climb out of the cellar. The rich and successful clubs entrenched at the top of the ladder. We're heading into yet another final series that features Geelong, Collingwood, and West Coast. Hawthorn only missed by the skin of their teeth.

Are people here seriously okay with this bulls**t?
Brisbane wrecks your theory.....

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Blutopia

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

They got an end of 1st round PP only a few years ago when they won more games than we did last year and with a better record the preceding years.

Just admit it mate, there is no equality in the rules and for the growth of the game, the afl is willing to be corrupt. It is what it is but it is the truth.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
They got an end of 1st round PP only a few years ago when they won more games than we did last year and with a better record the preceding years.

Just admit it mate, there is no equality in the rules and for the growth of the game, the afl is willing to be corrupt. It is what it is but it is the truth.
This is good for us, that was pick 19 and we traded in pick 19 last year. Top 4 here we come.

Gotta love a good melt down, good entertainment

Blutopia

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
This is good for us, that was pick 19 and we traded in pick 19 last year. Top 4 here we come.

Gotta love a good melt down, good entertainment

As I said before, good clubs find a way to overcome it and we brought in pick 19 through our own smart strategy.

However, truth is truth. I am definitely not having a melt, I am just stating facts.

How would top 4 be looking right now for Lions if Neale had been stopped from going there? Maybe they would still be around the mark but you must admit he’s a pretty important ‘cog’ in their machine...

Reality is the afl is corrupt, but just as smart investors use legal loopholes in our corrupt tax system, so will good clubs in the afl.

Bordertoon

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Newcastle United, Glasgow Rangers
That's what I'm saying. It's run as a business with business goals.

I get this Carlton-centric rage, but the follow up question would be... to what end? What's YOUR vision of where the AFL should be heading? If you shut down GC and GWS... do you shutdown the Lions when their crowds dwindle? Wasn't long ago they were in all sorts either.

I think, if starting from scratch, with a magic wand, and national AFL would have:

1 x NT team
1 x Tassie team
1 x ACT team
2 x QLD teams
2-3 x NSW teams
2-3 x WA teams
2-3 x SA teams
4-5 x Vic teams

Distributed around the country, covering all bases, roughly by footy participation sort of ratios (I've done no research here, I'm just saying vaguely this would be "ideal").

But it's not starting from scratch. There's 100 of years of history to respect, but also to re-shape and re-imagine for the future. I live in Melbourne, follow a Melbourne team, born and raised in Carlton - but even I can see the AFL is too Melbourne-centric for a national comp. So to drive it towards that national competition vision, some decisions along the way that feel pretty s**tty to us probably need to be made.

I think that there’s a lot of truth in this post, which I’ll try to build on below with an interminable and pretentious late night analysis of the AFL, which is designed to disguise the fact that I have precious little of value to contribute to more important and down to earth threads, like our recruitment and list management strategies over the off season :moustache:

Imo, the AFL is acted upon by three distinct sets of forces, with quite different - in fact, often conflicting - visions for the future of the comp. The profit-driven economic / capitalist forces (stemming primarily from the interests of TV and corporate sponsors) want the AFL “brand” and its “franchises” (clubs) to tap into the biggest “markets” (population centres) in the country - hence the long term obsession with Sydney in particular, but also with Queensland, despite these regions being largely indifferent, or even resistant, to the AFL gospel. When this set of economic / capitalist forces grew in importance from the late 1970s onwards, ideally they would have quite liked an “economically rational” geographical distribution of the clubs - that is, a reduction in the number of Melbourne-based clubs (that “market” was “over-saturated”, in their view), along with an increase and largely population / audience based spread of clubs throughout the rest of the country (understood as “untapped markets”, which might just be ripe for exploitation). Imo, these forces were at their zenith under Ross Oakley’s reign when, under the banner of “modernisation”, he was quite prepared to ride roughshod over tradition by seeking to promote / force club mergers and relocations on the part of the more vulnerable (at the time) Melbourne-based clubs.

Imo, the second set of forces acting on the AFL involves the 150+ years of tradition in the game, and the longstanding role that the Victorian clubs have played in terms of establishing and reinforcing community identity, as well as shaping family life and individual identity. Imo, this set of cultural - as opposed to economic - forces has little to no time for the economically rationalist agenda described above, and I think its worldview was eloquently summed up by the famous “Up Yours Oakley” bumper stickers that the Doggies supporters used to defend their club from Oakley’s reform agenda in the 1980s. In essence, those sorts of supporter movements were rejecting a strictly economic logic driving the development of the game (as personified by Oakley), and they instead were calling for the history and cultural integrity of the game to be fully respected and preserved. I think that initially VFL / AFL administrators underestimated the power of these cultural forces, but that they learnt their lesson to a degree from the intensity of the fight back to the reform agenda of the 1980s especially.

Imo, the third set of forces acting on the AFL are more internal to the organisation, and involve its view of itself as the “custodian of the game” - that is, as the not-for-profit body charged with protecting the sport from competition from its cross code rivals, mediating the competing and narrow interests of the individual AFL clubs, and spreading the game’s reach and appeal across Australia and even internationally (a long held dream at VFL / AFL headquarters). This internal set of forces recognises the need to keep both the economic / capitalist and cultural / traditional forces onside (the former are often more easily catered to than the latter, imo), but at the same time to act above and beyond these interests to maintain and strengthen the position of the AFL and the code into the future. Imo, this self understanding of the AFL often appears under the mantra of “the good of the game”, which of course is sufficiently vague to justify just about any individual decision that the AFL chooses to make (nonsensical scheduling, treating clubs differently, more or less randomly assigning priority picks etc etc).

So, I guess what I’m arguing is that the AFL is a very complex beast, and imo its actions cannot be adequately explained in terms of a “corruption hypothesis”. Instead, I think that it can best be understood as an organisation that has to balance out the three sets of forces that I’ve tried to describe above. Imo, what results is a hodgepodge of ad hoc decisions, which vary in accordance with which set/s of forces it is trying to advance or appease at any given moment in time. In other words, the AFL finds itself trying to juggle several balls at once - the economic / capitalist ball, the cultural / traditional ball, and the custodian / empire building ball - and inevitably one or more of these balls hits the ground on a pretty regular basis. It’s little wonder then that no head of the AFL is ever very popular, and that AFL bashing has become something of a national pastime.

OK, it’s just dawned on me that I’ve pretty much being writing to myself over the last hour or so (no doubt it’s narrative therapy for us missing out on the rabbit), so I’ll sign-off now, and get back to browsing over my undergrad sociology textbooks and daydreaming about the old International Bookshop in the Melbourne CBD ... oh, and reading what far more knowledgeable posters than me have to say about our recruiting and list management priorities over the off season.

djw1952

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2009
mentone
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
liverpool

They have arrived quicker than expected though haven`t they..........plus they are one of the teams in the non football states that are flying the afl flag so not a bad outcome for Gil & Shocking to have happening, but the rot is here in Vic with certain teams favoured for more "bums on seats" dollars flowing in for the afl............just look at the tiggers draw with their last 7 games at the "G" to help their run in to the finals, and the maggies free kick advantage in front of their manic fans at the "G" as well..........it is no coincidence that those 2 teams have huge followings and will be filling the afl coffers come finals time!!! The fact that the afl make rule changes on the run all the time is not surprising because it is all about their agenda, while giving lip service only to something the public wants changed.........this has been going on for ages now and they do favour certain "outcomes" because it is better for their bottom line $$$$$$$$$$$$

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
To everyone saying "yeah, but what about the TV rights", I'd suggest you take a gander at the latest financial reports from Foxtel and Seven.

Seven are trying to get a 2 year extension on current terms - cpi only.....and the AFL would be smart to take it while Seven still has the ability to commit that much.

People are getting it free through Telstra, or paying minimum dollars for Kayo (putting Foxtel way behind their traditional ARPU).

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Don't think Gold Coast getting a PP is a sign of corruption tbh. Context and club resources is everything and they keep on losing talented players every year.

Over Cogs now as well, it does sound a bit iffy going on by Gil's comments, but nothing we can do about it now.

May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
I think that there’s a (SNIP)

Most intelligent and accurate thing ever written on Big Footy about something complicated. Won't stop the debate or foaming at the mouth or frustrations, but probably should be stickied somewhere as a reference.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
They have arrived quicker than expected though haven`t they..........plus they are one of the teams in the non football states that are flying the afl flag so not a bad outcome for Gil & Shocking to have happening, but the rot is here in Vic with certain teams favoured for more "bums on seats" dollars flowing in for the afl............just look at the tiggers draw with their last 7 games at the "G" to help their run in to the finals, and the maggies free kick advantage in front of their manic fans at the "G" as well..........it is no coincidence that those 2 teams have huge followings and will be filling the afl coffers come finals time!!! The fact that the afl make rule changes on the run all the time is not surprising because it is all about their agenda, while giving lip service only to something the public wants changed.........this has been going on for ages now and they do favour certain "outcomes" because it is better for their bottom line $$$$$$$$$$$$
Of course they make things better to get more $$$. Been happening for ever.

But why the crying about it now after cognilio signs with gws? As I've said all along in this thread, it is embarrassing the way some people have reacted. Others laugh at the crows board etc but this thread is the most pathetic out of them all (and hilarious)

Nov 5, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There can be only 1
was talking with a person who works in the Sport integrity arena and when i mentioned the AFL, their response was to describe them as the Scientology cult of the sporting industry. the only sporting body to ask the world doping agency to have rules made up specifically for them at they have written themselves.

Back