Movie Star Wars - Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker - Spoilers and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

How does one destroy the Republic when the Republic should have been destroyed when Hosnian was obliterated in TFA hence why we've been following 3 ships a dog and a pizza droid around for a servo whilst everyone in the universe said "it's dead Jim"?

Or does Thrawn not get holo from where he was hiding those destroyers?

How does one destroy the Republic when the Republic should have been destroyed when Hosnian was obliterated in TFA hence why we've been following 3 ships a dog and a pizza droid around for a servo whilst everyone in the universe said "it's dead Jim"?

Or does Thrawn not get holo from where he was hiding those destroyers?

The ship was the Resistance, we have no idea what's happened to the Republic as an entity.

Fleet?

Govt?

Fleet was at Hosnian Prime as was the Government, this isn't new info.

Again, that doesn't mean there aren't planets that still support it. As an entity it might be on its last legs, but as a concept it can still exist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it exists as a concept, with no military and no government.

Got it.
Individual planets would have their own government and own army (if they chose). The galaxy is too vast for the Republic to be the practical government of every planet. So planets that don’t bend to the FO would still be trying to retain the idea of a Republic.

Much like how the books don’t show the Empire folding the day the Emperor died.

Yep, dumbest Storygroup decision.
Is it though? Perhaps the most poorly explained (I think it barely rates a mention in the movies, if at all, been expanded on in the books). I think the point was the Republic shouldn’t have an army it can use to subjugate planets. Doesn’t mean individual planets don’t have armies.

Individual planets would have their own government and own army (if they chose). The galaxy is too vast for the Republic to be the practical government of every planet. So planets that don’t bend to the FO would still be trying to retain the idea of a Republic.

But the previous Republic stood for "a thousand generations".

Is it though? Perhaps the most poorly explained (I think it barely rates a mention in the movies, if at all, been expanded on in the books). I think the point was the Republic shouldn’t have an army it can use to subjugate planets. Doesn’t mean individual planets don’t have armies.

Yes.

Next question?

Wouldn't membership of the republic be dependent on certain conditions, like not having an armed forces? No planet in the old republic had an army.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, how complete is your self assurance?;)

The idea that less than 5 years after defeating the Galactic Empire the Republic thinks it's a good idea to completely de-militarise is absolutely mind-boggling as a concept. Forget the fact the Galaxy has just gone through near 30 years of war and turmoil from the Clone Wars through the formation of the Empire through the Rebellion through the mop up of the Empire, but the fact that In-Universe the concept of planets/forces just 'handing in' their ships to be destroyed makes no sense. A Republic that stood for tens of thousands of years, sure, could exist with no Galactic navy because it's come to a point of understanding, but not in the immediate aftermath of such upheaval.

Doing so would make it rather easy for a random fleet of ships from.. I guess let's say the Unknown Regions.. to randomly pop up and take over the Galaxy overnight.

The idea that less than 5 years after defeating the Galactic Empire the Republic thinks it's a good idea to completely de-militarise is absolutely mind-boggling as a concept. Forget the fact the Galaxy has just gone through near 30 years of war and turmoil from the Clone Wars through the formation of the Empire through the Rebellion through the mop up of the Empire, but the fact that In-Universe the concept of planets/forces just 'handing in' their ships to be destroyed makes no sense. A Republic that stood for tens of thousands of years, sure, could exist with no Galactic navy because it's come to a point of understanding, but not in the immediate aftermath of such upheaval.

Doing so would make it rather easy for a random fleet of ships from.. I guess let's say the Unknown Regions.. to randomly pop up and take over the Galaxy overnight.
You’re making assumptions. The Republic isn’t militarised, doesn’t mean individual planets aren’t. As you say, if one planet has no army and it’s neighbour isn’t a member of the Republic, it would be able to take it over in a weekend. It’s not been well explained, I agree, but bag it for that, not for how you think it works.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back