No Oppo Supporters DEATH RIDE 2: A TEAGUE OF THEIR OWN! (Picks 3 and 21)

How many wins for the rest of the year under their new coach David Teague?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's because our 2nd round pick swaps essentially cancel each other out.

(10+16) - (the difference between our 2nd round pick swap) and the 3rd round pick from Carlton.

The reason why we paid more Gibbs than we recevied for Lever was because Melbourne only paid 2 first round picks for Lever and received a 2nd and 3rd round pick in return while we gave up 2 first round picks as well a 2nd round pick to get a 2nd and a 3rd back with Gibbs.

The 2nd round pick we gave to Carlton is the massive point of difference between the two trades.
No, our 2rd rounder cancel out their 3rd rounder given it's was only 12 pick difference from 28 (which is equivalent to an early 3rd rounder) which is why I always consider this difference as neither here or there (similarly the pick 35 we gave them for the Lever trade), it's pick 16 which cancel out pick 21 as this is 5 pick difference and is much closer to late 1st rounder we gave them (especially if you take into account the difference in the draft quality) and the closer you are to the pick 1 the more weighting it has, hence why I said the draft point weight is totally s**t.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
No, our 2rd rounder cancel out their 3rd rounder given it's was only 12 pick difference from 28 (which is equivalent to an early 3rd rounder) which is why I always consider this difference as neither here or there (similarly the pick 35 we gave them for the Lever trade), it's pick 16 which cancel out pick 21 as this is 5 pick difference and is much closer to late 1st rounder we gave them (especially if you take into account the difference in the draft quality) and the closer you are to the pick 1 the more weighting it has, hence why I said the draft point weight is totally s**t.

So let's get this straight, a 9 pick difference between two 2nd rounder picks (according to your fuzzy logic) do not cancel each other out, but a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick that are 12 picks apart do ?

That's text book cognitive dissonance.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
So let's get this straight, a 9 pick difference between two 2nd rounder picks (according to your fuzzy logic) do not cancel each other out, but a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick that are 12 picks apart do ?

That's text book cognitive dissonance.
Like I said, the further it's away from a 1st rounder it does as that was a mid 2nd rounder and early 3rd rounder you are comparing which ends up being meh.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can you come clean, do you honestly believe this stuff or are you trolling?
I did this analysis for a long time and even started a debate on the Carlton thread and I got my thread closed, but I got my point across before it got closed as most didn't even know we got their 3rd rounder but after explaining to them they needed to look at the trade more closely (and take into consideration the strength of the draft) there were no more debate with me....most agree in the end and that they would have prefer pick 21 in 2018 compared to pick 16 in 2017 (which put that early 3rd rounder difference to maybe mid 4th rounder), I can't see now difficult it is for you 2 to see my excellent analysis, it's simple logic and football knowledge.

BMartin 3Votes

Debutant
Feb 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
I have it on good authority that GWS would not have upped their contract offer to Coniglio if Carlton still held pick 3.

They were not happy with pick 8 so they increased his contract considerably to keep him a Giant.

I thought Cogs was a free agent?

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Take it to the bank, very reliable sauce.
so you are telling us all (including the carlton posters that frequent this board) that had they not done the trade with us last year, Coniglio would have been a blue next season. So they have Stocker and pick 8 and no Coniglio. But I thought that they all told us that it didn't matter what pick they got from us as it would be traded for a big fish anyway...well pick 8 for Josh Jenkins sounds about the mark for them now

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I did this analysis for a long time and even started a debate on the Carlton thread and I got my thread closed, but I got my point across before it got closed as most didn't even know we got their 3rd rounder but after explaining to them they needed to look at the trade more closely (and take into consideration the strength of the draft) there were no more debate with me....most agree in the end and that they would have prefer pick 21 in 2018 compared to pick 16 in 2017 (which put that early 3rd rounder difference to maybe mid 4th rounder), I can't see now difficult it is for you 2 to see my excellent analysis, it's simple logic and football knowledge.
Ok when someone refers to their own analysis as excellent it’s clear your trolling. Well done mate, you had me, I just thought you were clueless. I’ll leave you to your fun

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
so you are telling us all (including the carlton posters that frequent this board) that had they not done the trade with us last year, Coniglio would have been a blue next season. So they have Stocker and pick 8 and no Coniglio. But I thought that they all told us that it didn't matter what pick they got from us as it would be traded for a big fish anyway...well pick 8 for Josh Jenkins sounds about the mark for them now

Yep, that's why they waited till the end of season, to know our finishing position, obviously a first round compo pick would be after GWS first pick which would be in 12-18 range.

Bonkers000

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have it on good authority that GWS would not have upped their contract offer to Coniglio if Carlton still held pick 3.

They were not happy with pick 8 so they increased his contract considerably to keep him a Giant.
It makes sense. Pick 8 is just going to swallowed up matching an academy bid. Pick 3 likely won’t be.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
well it's too late to help our blue friends now, but if they had asked I would have been happy to give them pick 3 in return for pick 8, Cripps, Curnow and McKay - just to help them get Coniglio - you know to be nice and all

They weren't happy with compo pick - like we did with Danger, chose to trade instead of getting compo pick.

It would be funny if it were true, but it's not. You need to match (or threaten to like we did) in order to force a trade. The salary Coniglio signed for is still meant to be under what carlton were offering.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
It would be funny if it were true, but it's not. You need to match (or threaten to like we did) in order to force a trade. The salary Coniglio signed for is still meant to be under what carlton were offering.

I didn't say they matched what Carlton were offering, they just upped their offer to close the gap once it was clear they wouldn't receive adequate compensation for him.

I didn't say they matched what Carlton were offering, they just upped their offer to close the gap once it was clear they wouldn't receive adequate compensation for him.

But you said it was because carlton had pick 8 instead of 3, but that doesn't make sense. pick 8 is only relevant if there was going to be a trade, and a trade only happens if they match carltons offer.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints

Yes but once the draft order was settled for the top 10 picks they could see where a potential "match & trade" scenario was heading ( like us with danger).

Going to the trade table with SOS where he only had pick 8 was going to be difficult, plenty of laptop closing and walking out the door going on - hence the revised offer.

Yes but once the draft order was settled for the top 10 picks they could see where a potential "match & trade" scenario was heading ( like us with danger).

Going to the trade table with SOS where he only had pick 8 was going to be difficult, plenty of laptop closing and walking out the door going on - hence the revised offer.
If there was a trade, gws would have asked for two 1sts. But he re-signed for less than what carlton were offering, so why wouldn't he stay if they matched? I don't think a trade was ever on the cards, he either stays, or he goes as a free agent.

Back