Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine being so in love with Melbourne that you refuse to leave the city even though your partner has a high profile job they love and they can only do for a very limited period of time.

Melbourne.
I don't mean to single you out, because there have been a lot of posts in this thread on a similar theme. I think it's a bit rough, to be honest. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for not wanting to move. I know from my personal experience that moving to another city despite my partner really struggling with the idea almost ended our relationship, as she wasn't sure she could cope without her support structures around her.

Comes out that Papley is contracted until 2023.

Happens as soon as L∅Inorf appear interested.

Coincidence? I think not.

standard clause in afl contracts

if you become subject of norf interest you automatically get extended 2 years

its a player protection clause

I don't mean to single you out, because there have been a lot of posts in this thread on a similar theme. I think it's a bit rough, to be honest. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for not wanting to move. I know from my personal experience that moving to another city despite my partner really struggling with the idea almost ended our relationship, as she wasn't sure she could cope without her support structures around her.
Yes what you say is true but there are also many couples that live in different states due to employment commitments and make it work.
If the relationship is strong enough it will endure - Sydney to Melbourne is only an hour flight away after all.

I’m mostly making a joke about Melbourne.

What i find even more peculiar is who the fu** leaks the information on player exit interviews? its supposed to be 1 on 1 with the coach right?

As he wasn't requesting to leave Sydney would have purposely leaked the information to scare away buyers and calm the media storm.

The only way the media storm gets calmed is if:

1. papley comes out and says now that he is staying
2. his agent comes out and says we shopped him around but decided that better the devil you know.

I'd be really very surprised if there isnt serious negotiations going on about him and the contract and his future. The media rarely report things without some degree of foundation and he isnt so big a fish that it would make the media without some pushing along.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Usually the agents are the source for player trade stories, for obvious reasons. Does anyone else remember Nick Davis' agent thinking it would be a good idea to have him photographed meeting with Colless at a coffee shop?

In this case it wasn't Papley's agent because the source didn't know about the trigger clause. Almost certainly it came from Carlton who have also been leaking that they were keen on Coniglio (bad luck) and 'NEAFL Jack' Martin (good luck with that). Why they would do that I don't know, because it doesn't really help you and, you know, maybe you'll end up with egg on your face.

2. his agent comes out and says we shopped him around but decided that better the devil you know.

I'd be really very surprised if there isnt serious negotiations going on about him and the contract and his future. The media rarely report things without some degree of foundation and he isnt so big a fish that it would make the media without some pushing along.

You can apply that thinking in most situations, but you can't on this one.

This is not a football decision where he is being shopped around as he is clearly happy to be playing football in Sydney and for us as he negotiated an additional year last year and added a trigger clause.

From all reports, this decision is solely about his relationship with his partner who won't move to Sydney and he needs to first sort out this to move forward but that might not be for months/years or if at all.

From all publicly available information, I would be very surprised if contracts, trades or anything else remotely football orientated has even been discussed at present.

According to an article someone linked earlier in the thread, he did exactly what you're saying after the Melbourne game.

Mumford given away for pick 35 lmaoo
Mitchell pick 14 described by "Gerard Healy as one of the worst trades in the history of trading"
Membrey/Biggs both cbf looking up pick 40 or something
Newman pick 40's

WAKE UP ffs make a stand with Papley stop getting taken up the arse by clubs who are trying to bring us down.
We have to be the worst club for trading

You must be new here

Actually I'm not.

People always assume that the media make stuff up. I've worked around a lot of media types in the past. I've watched how this gets played out in professional soccer as well as AFL. There are always sources with axes to grind or agendas to push. Players always want stuff. Sources say stuff. The media then report.

There is two possibilities here 1. Papley and/or his agent at some stage said test the waters because I really need to move to Melbourne for personal reasons or 2. Robbo or Andrew Wu or someone else is down at the pub saying "Well who comes off contract next year and what can we say about them ?" Papley isnt buddy or coniglio. He isnt going to sell newspapers. Its a story but not so big that you'd bother trying to make it up.

In my view Papley is testing the waters and seeing what will be thrown his way. Like ROK before him he has security of being content himself but preferring to be in Melbourne.

Actually I'm not.

People always assume that the media make stuff up. I've worked around a lot of media types in the past. I've watched how this gets played out in professional soccer as well as AFL. There are always sources with axes to grind or agendas to push. Players always want stuff. Sources say stuff. The media then report.

There is two possibilities here 1. Papley and/or his agent at some stage said test the waters because I really need to move to Melbourne for personal reasons or 2. Robbo or Andrew Wu or someone else is down at the pub saying "Well who comes off contract next year and what can we say about them ?" Papley isnt buddy or coniglio. He isnt going to sell newspapers. Its a story but not so big that you'd bother trying to make it up.

In my view Papley is testing the waters and seeing what will be thrown his way. Like ROK before him he has security of being content himself but preferring to be in Melbourne.
Obviously all true, as evidenced by how well Parker played for Essendon this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back