Prediction Our Chances in the 2019 finals

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Our midfield and forward line of the last 11 games is better than 2016, current backline is a big worry. We will have to rely on Crozier, Duryea, Wood, Young and Cordy to play their best to win finals

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Whilst I don't want to read too much into this, can anyone tell me if a team has ever lost to the wooden spooners during the season and then gone on to win the flag?
Mate that is a pointless stat. What does it matter? Seriously

ringa5

CRAZY HORSE
Jun 1, 2009
goldcoast
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We don't need to fear any team in the finals.
Under Beveridge we have belief.
And the Bont ,Mccrae ,Dunkley and English(not for hitouts )
Form the best 4 midfield combination in the finals.
Don't know if our Key position backs can stand up.Otherwise we have just as much chance as anyone.

Off the top of my head I can certainly think of one. Fitzroy won 1 and lost 17 in 1963. The team they beat was Geelong, the premiers that year. Final score was Fitzroy 9-13 67 to Geelong 3-13 31 (WB-like inaccuracy).

They only had one star on their list, Kevin Murray, and he was away on interstate duties that weekend. Go figure.
:openmouth::openmouth::openmouth:

dogspur

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Time to fire this up again.

4t1pZbDpkiFE.jpg

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I was thinking which is dangerous how would us supporters confidence level be if 2016 did not happen. For me it would be we are playing well but it is impossible to win without the double chance. So maybe we one win. My expectations are higher than that because 2016 but know it still going be difficult and it is one week at a time.

The fact we won it must also effect the coaches and players mental approach. This should be a positive providing we are just as hungry.

Others thoughts?

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don’t think we’re going to win the flag.

In 2016 we won 15 games and had our spot in the finals assured half way through the season. Much better team that season too. This season our last 8-9 weeks have been like playing finals, the bye will help but can’t see us winning 4 on the trot again. I hope to beat GWS then Richmond in a SF. After that I’ll take a PF loss as I’ll be very satisfied.
Also, our defence is very iffy and defences are what win you flags. We can get heavily scored against at times.
‘Much better team in 2016’ you reckon?
I 100% disagree.
This team has a far better midfield and forwardline.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bevo came out and said we can win it so I think we can win it. I have never seen Bevo so buoyant about our chances at any stage during his tenure as coach and he doesn’t bullsh1t. Always plays a straight bat and tells it like it is.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bevo came out and said we can win it so I think we can win it. I have never seen Bevo so buoyant about our chances at any stage during his tenure as coach and he doesn’t bullsh1t. Always plays a straight bat and tells it like it is.
Even in 2015, I remember him saying after the elimination final that he thought we had more in us. Lo and behold, the following year we go all the way.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No doubt we have a better midfield and forward line than 2016, but our defense is shithouse and that’s what wins premierships!

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I 100% disagree.

Hmmm not sure about that.

In 2016 Dahl and Libba were in full flight in the midfield, Picken and Stringer up forward as well as Dickson at his peak. Down back we had the body strength and experience of Morris and Boyd, and Wood still in AA form.

This current team has the potential to be better. English in the ruck, Naughton already superior up forward but Schache not there yet.

The backline unit is definitely weaker. Morris added so much experience and flexibilty.

Morris Hamling Johanissen
Wood Roberts M.Boyd

Wood Young/Trengove Crozier
Johanissen Cordy Dureya

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
When comparing this team to 2016 one thing that often gets overlooked is all the players in that list who were 18-22 year old and are all closer to their prime now.

Collectively, another 50-60 games into all of Bont, Macrae, Dunkley, Maclean, Cordy, Daniel, JJ, and whoever I haven't recalled off the top of my head, all yet to peak, counts for a lot.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If Bevo wins the flag again from 7th will he be rated above Clarko as the best in the business.

Last edited:

JTCWBFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool, Knicks, Yankees
No doubt we have a better midfield and forward line than 2016, but our defense is s**thouse and that’s what wins premierships!

Our talls aren't great but Wood, Suckling, Duryea, Crozier are a very strong unit around them.

Plus if we can keep up our increased scoring power at the other end, we have a bit more scope to concede a few goals.

BulldogJake

All Australian
Jul 24, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I 100% disagree.
Midfield was better in 2016. Defence was astronomically better in 2016.

Forward line slightly better this year, but forward doesn’t win you flags, defence does.

Oct 30, 2003
Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fwd line better, midfield is best in the league so better but backline key positions worse. Pretty much the difference is Morris and Hamling. Small and medium defenders are better as I really rate Crozier. This team is more talented and skilful by a significant margin.

Back