The state of the Giants and Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

The Swans had a Cost of Living Allowance until the end of 2016.

The Swans had a reduced $800,000 bonus for 2015 and $600,000 for 2016, while the COLA was being phased out. Gold Coast hAve had no salary cap extra allowance since 2014, when it was $400,000. The Suns joined the AFL in 2011.

Callum Ah Chee cares about what you say.

So Does:

Tom Lynch
Dion Prestia
Adam Saad
Steven May
Gary Ablett
Jaeger O'Meara
Jack Scrimshaw
Jack Martin

Seriously wake up FFS

Maybe you should call the above players and tell them they all made a big mistake?

Last edited:
Hey WillHayward - Swans were a disgrace.

On this day, 28 August, in 1992. Sydney played Richmond at the SCG on a Friday night in front of less than 7,500 people where the loser of this game would be condemned to the wooden spoon. Not dissimilar to the crowd the suns just got in last game of this season.

Here is the game in full.

Look at all those empty seats...

Do you really want to test me and play this game?

1. Sydney won 16 games in their 5th year
  2. Sydney is a large city with lots of corporate sponsors and actual businesses
  3. Gold Coast is not a city and has no real businesses and is full of bankrupts, tradies and con-men.

Suns - wooden spoon
Titans - wooden spoon

This article pretty much confirms the Suns will get both picks 1 and 2 in this year's draft and I think it is a a rare form of common sense from the AFL.

If they can get a good haul with the Martin and Ah Chee trades, they have a pretty good foundation to relaunch their club.
That's just a stupid thing to say
They had 4 top 25 picks last year and they relaunched as succesfully as the apollo mission.

Callum Ah Chee cares about what you say.

So Does:

Tom Lynch
Dion Prestia
Adam Saad
Steven May
Gary Ablett
Jaeger O'Meara
Jack Scrimshaw
Jack Martin

Seriously wake up FFS

Maybe you should call the above players and tell them they all made a big mistake?
You could put the same list up for GWS Brisbane and for Adelaide.

Martin and now Ah Chee are packing their bags. This is just the thing that will ensure GC get the PP, it's a certainty and clubs know it, they've all adjusted their draft boards to have Rowell and Anderson headed for the Suns.

Melbourne pushed back to three will be spewing, particularly after the 2019 disaster.

The AFL will need to have a package that does a lot more than just pick 1. Expect a lot more cap space to add $200k/season to offers for multiple quality players who are looking to move clubs, may even have compo picks dished out by the AFL to assist movement. The package will be significant and cause a lot of rethinking by players and clubs.

I don't Melbourne are in any position to complain after all the generous help the AFL has given them over the years, such as pick 3 compo for James Frawley

Nonsensical reply.

The Swans havent missed finals for 10 years partly because they've been aided by a retention allowance / COLA which has enabled them to attract and retain talented players.
  • Brisbane had a $580,000 retention allowance until 2003 when it was scaled down and abolished in its entirety in 2006 (ten years before the Swans lost their bonus)
  • Gold Coast Suns had a salary cap bonus from 2011-2014 to help establish their club and pay for extra players (48 players in their inaugural year) on their list.
  • GWS had a salary cap bonus from 2012-2016 to help establish their club and pay for extra players (50 players in their inaugural year) on their list.
The Swans had a reduced $800,000 bonus for 2015 and $600,000 for 2016, while the COLA was being phased out. Before then it it was 9.8 per cent of the salary cap. In 2012 the Swans paid over $1.75 million more to its players than Port Adeaide, North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs.

AFL Distributions 2018
  • Gold Coast – $23,696,768
  • Brisbane – $23,609,188
  • GWS – $23,234,214
  • St Kilda – $20,539,315
  • Port Adelaide – $19,805,849 (includes match day and merch)
  • North Melbourne – $16,918,003
  • Melbourne – $16,336,739
  • Western Bulldogs – $16,271,119
  • Sydney – $14,886,155
  • Carlton – $14,149,443
  • Adelaide -$12,676,532
  • Richmond – $12,505,575
  • Essendon – $12,079,819
  • Geelong – $11,841,169
  • Fremantle – $11,469,122
  • Collingwood – $11,424,087
  • Hawthorn – $11,156,622
  • West Coast – $11,002,504
This is THE reason why Gold Coast should be disbanded. Almost $24M in handouts and they want more? Incompetent management, disinterested population, grossly overpaid B grade footballers......A Tasmanian club would have delivered by now

They had 4 top 25 picks last year and they relaunched as succesfully as the apollo mission.

You’re judging this after one year?
King looks like a star in the making - for a first year tall forward played well above expectations
Lukosius found his home in the back half and by the second half of the year looked really good
Rankine has re-signed

13 other young players have re-signed.
Most of our young core had their best years to date - fiorini, Bowes, ainsworth, Ballard, Powell, Brodie plus the more mature sexton, witts, swallow

We lost Martin who had checked out and had a terrible year. Ah chee stings because he seems like a lovely guy and he real talent. But hasn’t provided anything of consistent value on field because of injury.

Whilst this year hasn’t been good I think there are a number of positives to come out of it.
If we don’t see continued improvement or we have king/luko or other important young players leaving next year - I’ll agree with you.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

King looks like a star in the making - for a first year tall forward played well above expectations
Lukosius found his home in the back half and by the second half of the year looked really good
Rankine has re-signed

Most of our young core had their best years to date - fiorini, Bowes, ainsworth, Ballard, Powell, Brodie plus the more mature sexton, witts, swallow

We lost Martin who had checked out and had a terrible year. Ah chee stings because he seems like a lovely guy and he real talent. But hasn’t provided anything of consistent value on field because of injury.

Whilst this year hasn’t been good I think there are a number of positives to come out of it.
If we don’t see continued improvement or we have king/luko or other important young players leaving next year - I’ll agree with you.

Rankine has re-signed

I didn't even bother reading your player assesment crap. The point was an extra draft pick won't make a difference to you.

Queensland population currently 5.1m, rising to 9.3m by 2051. But yeah, let’s reduce the presence of Australian football there.
Qld needs a proper state league. Currently only 5 teams in the Neafl, 3 in Brisbane and 2 on the Gold Coast. Queensland Australian Football league has 9 teams, again all clubs in Brisbane and the Gold Coast which have AFL clubs. What about the Sunshine Coast, Cairns, Townsville, Toowoomba, Mackay, Rockhampton? Qld need a proper state league.

Qld needs a proper state league. Currently only 5 teams in the Neafl, 3 in Brisbane and 2 on the Gold Coast. Queensland Australian Football league has 9 teams, again all clubs in Brisbane and the Gold Coast which have AFL clubs. What about the Sunshine Coast, Cairns, Townsville, Toowoomba, Mackay, Rockhampton? Qld need a proper state league.
Cairns, Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton are all involved in smaller town Leagues. There are 5 divisions in the QAFL with a relegation and promotion system. There are about 10 teams in each, but some of those are double-ups of NEAFL teams and higher division teams.

I would say the costs would be to high to run a state wide comp as the travel costs would be huge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is THE reason why Gold Coast should be disbanded. Almost $24M in handouts and they want more? Incompetent management, disinterested population, grossly overpaid B grade footballers......A Tasmanian club would have delivered by now
Seeing as for so many of you the overarching objective of football clubs is to become financial viable, how about the fact that Geelong, after 122 years, still can’t stand on their own two feet!

Seeing as for so many of you the overarching objective of football clubs is to become financial viable, how about the fact that Geelong, after 122 years, still can’t stand on their own two feet!
How so?

Do you really want to test me and play this game?

1. Sydney won 16 games in their 5th year
  2. Sydney is a large city with lots of corporate sponsors and actual businesses
  3. Gold Coast is not a city and has no real businesses and is full of bankrupts, tradies and con-men.

Aww no bois! We can’t test him and his internet tough guy persona!! Please don’t test him and play this game!!!

In all seriousness though, I’m pretty sure you’ve made this thread before (or responded multiple times to threads with a similar topic). You haven’t said anything new, you continue to be completely disingenuous as to why the AFL started the Suns and how long the plan was going to be.

The Suns are clearly a 50 year play, they clearly (like the giants) were going to cost a lot of money upon start and they clearly were going to have retention issues - as the Lions also had these issues for the better part of a decade. Should we shut down the Lions? No, but there’s many people here willing to shut down the Suns. The AFL makes more than enough money with the Suns in the league than they spend on assisting all the clubs combined. Tasmania is already coming apparently, so we will not be seeing the Suns moved either.

Also, I don’t think you’ve ever lived on the Gold Coast. I lived there for two years and it isn’t filled with broke tradies, bankrupt individuals (saying bankrupts is incorrect) and con-men. Now sure, the businesses might not be as big as the businesses in Sydney, but of coarse they wouldn’t be as big as some Sydney businesses. It’s a s**t comparison. Might want to think about things before talking out of your arse.

Last edited:
Here's the difference.

Queensland government own the Gabba and Metricon and screw over the tenants to about $200,000 per game, because they know the AFL will help them out.

Marvel and MCG pay teams about $100,000 per game to play at these stadiums.

Geelong play at Kardinia Park owned by Victorian government and have pretty good deal. Don't know the monetary value.

How is it ironic? You guys got punished for 'not' tanking and then received pick 3 for "frawley compo".
Ironic because we profited so much from them already you bloody peanut

Here's the difference.

Queensland government own the Gabba and Metricon and screw over the tenants to about $200,000 per game, because they know the AFL will help them out.

Marvel and MCG pay teams about $100,000 per game to play at these stadiums.

Geelong play at Kardinia Park owned by Victorian government and have pretty good deal. Don't know the monetary value.
I also heard on the radio the other night that one of the local clubs wanted to ferry supporters to Carrara by bus but the local council put a stop to it. It is hostile territory. I don't know why we throw money at GC when there is an AFL state called Tasmania that is itching to be part of the competition

Cairns, Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton are all involved in smaller town Leagues. There are 5 divisions in the QAFL with a relegation and promotion system. There are about 10 teams in each, but some of those are double-ups of NEAFL teams and higher division teams.

I would say the costs would be to high to run a state wide comp as the travel costs would be huge.
I know costs would be a bit more, but the AFL are already investing $25million in the Suns each year, surely they can find some money to invest into a state league. Get players payments up to the same level as the VFL, SANFL and WAFL. It’ll give the game much more exposure at the next level and path ways for players to develop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back