AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Apologies, the danger of asssuming.
I was quite shocked to learn that.
For a non-Mick he certainly, (allegedly), has poured a s**t load of money into the church.
Both Pell and the Dirty Digger are ultra right wingers. Pell has associated himself with the really grubby right such as the IPA which is a Murdoch inspired organisation and which boasts such luminaries as Blot and the Mad Monk.

It does make you wonder which JC Pell bows to when he follows a path quite foreign to the egalitarian JC I was taught about.

Both Pell and the Dirty Digger are ultra right wingers. Pell has associated himself with the really grubby right such as the IPA which is a Murdoch inspired organisation and which boasts such luminaries as Blot and the Mad Monk.

It does make you wonder which JC Pell bows to when he follows a path quite foreign to the egalitarian JC I was taught about.
It's wealth and influence that Pell worshiped, faith was just the window dressing.

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
The Archbishop of Melbourne, Peter Comensoli, believes that George Pell is innocent. He also believes that Pell’s victim is telling the truth. His solution for this contradiction is the obvious one: the victim identified the wrong rapist. Not even Pell’s defence lawyers had tried that one on; there weren’t a lot of 190cm archbishops trolling around St Patrick’s Cathedral in 1996-7.

It's laughable, yes, in the same way as is Andrew Bolt’s complete loss of faith in our legal system. As are the campaigns seemingly being waged by The Sydney Morning Herald and The Australian to convince us that the dissenting judgment of Justice Weinberg in Pell’s appeal is the only one that matters and, of itself, a sufficient basis for the High Court to step in and declare the cardinal a martyr.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham

Terms like 'ultra right winger' lose their meaning when you apply them so indiscriminately.

Bolt, Abbott and Morrison can best be described as conservatives and the recent general election shows that their values are shared by ordinary Australians.

Schneebly

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Terms like 'ultra right winger' lose their meaning when you apply them so indiscriminately.

Bolt, Abbott and Morrison can best be described as conservatives and the recent general election shows that their values are shared by ordinary Australians.

Bolt isn't a mere conservative, here's a far right conspiracy theorist. He should be seen as the Australian Alex Jones. His far right paranoia is undisputable, but I decided to pay a visit to his blog site. This is what I found after searching his posts for the last month.

He believes Pell is the victim of a "leftist" conspiracy amongst the ABC, Vicpol and the Victorian legal system (I'm sure he's thrown Labor/Greens in the mix somewhere there)

He's claiming anyone claiming racist discrimination is "playing the race card" but constantly degrades Muslims, Africans, the Chinese.

He's attacking Miley Cyrus, calling her mean

As we all know any mention of climate change brings out the "globalist warmist" line.

He defends any of his mates (Alan Jones) over criticism of their comments (muh free speech!) but is the first to demand ABC defunding when he hears something he doesn't like.

He constantly is attacking journalists Louise Milligan and Lucy Morris Marr over their reporting of the Pell case.

He's really going after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle for some reason, calling Meghan a "menace" and a "threat"?

His multiple vicious attacks on 16 year old Greta Thunberg calling her a 'cult leader." and "deluded"

Fearmongering about ANTIFA as the greatest threat to society while ignoring their right wing counterparts the Proud Boys who actively boast of their violence.

Repeating NRA pro-gun talking points in Australia for some reason?

Calling an ABC journalist a "liar" and a "blithering idiot" for stating scientific facts on climate change.

Telling a conservative GG to shut up when talking about indigenous rights.

Insinuating black Americans like to live in rat infested ghettos

Describing the NSW Abortion bill as "killing babies"

So not just a far right conspiracy theorist but also a combination of a hyperbolic petty celebrity gossip mongerer and 16 year old incel internet troll. Almost all of his attacks on his enemies are constituted of quite abusive personal slurs (liar, idiot, deluded, insane, fraud) and he's got no problem going after anyone, children included, whom he disagrees with. None of what he is posting about is actual tangible issues that'll affect people (healthcare, education, job conditions, housing, transport etc) it's all right wing political correctness and right wing culture war virtue signalling.

Labor's Paul Keating once said, in an interview about Tony Abbott, "you can have a though out, articulate, intelligent conservative opinion" (link below). The opinions coming out of the mouths of Bolt (and Abbott) are the furthest thing from intelligent or thought out. Maybe that's why Morrison (whom I wouldn't include in the solid "far right" of the Liberals, but not really in the moderates either) just scraped back in, whereas T. Abbott was overwhelmingly voted out.

Paul Keating "If Tony Abbott becomes PM, God help us!"

Last edited:

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Careful mate
There's a few grubs here who get VERY pissy if you attack their hero
Julia Gillard or K Rudd? Grubs is a bit harsh though.

Murdoch press is split by the way, I don't know what the Catholic church is trying to do here, if he does get off and unfortunately that is a fair chance you surely can't be rehabilitated him into a major position his plaques and things named after him will have to go.

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Apologies, the danger of asssuming.
I was quite shocked to learn that.
For a non-Mick he certainly, (allegedly), has poured a s**t load of money into the church.
You reckon Murdoch gives away money to the church? He certainly supports the Republicans and the UK conservatives, historically he has given pretty much equally Lib/alp in Australia, that may have changed recently.

Contra Mundum

To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
His Defence cost upwards of ten million dollars he had the best criminal defence barrister and solicitor acting for him money could buy. He got the most highly regarded Appellate Barrister that led the Appeal. The trial judge was the Chief Judge of the County Court. The Appeal Court included the President of the Court of Appeal and the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. If that prick did not get a fair trial - try being an first nations defendant on Legal Aid in the NT!
I just cannot believe either Comensoli or Bolt's bizarre tin foil hat conspiracy theories - somehow it was political correctness, the vibe, VicPol and identity politics that got him - his appeal to the High Court will probably get up - that said Pell's so called "Martyrdom" will be the worst thing for the Church in Australia

Murdoch press is split by the way, I don't know what the Catholic church is trying to do here, if he does get off and unfortunately that is a fair chance you surely can't be rehabilitated him into a major position his plaques and things named after him will have to go.
If he gets out they pack him off to Majorca

Craven Morehead

I really don't care what you think.
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You reckon Murdoch gives away money to the church? He certainly supports the Republicans and the UK conservatives, historically he has given pretty much equally Lib/alp in Australia, that may have changed recently.

Having had a look at the history of it, it appears that is wife of the time, pre year 2000, was a Catholic.
Maybe she cut off supply and a few hundred mill to the vatican was the snatch price?

Who cares?
He's a campaigner and the catholic church needs a nuclear bomb.

... his appeal to the High Court will probably get up ...

You think?

Kidd did an absolutely outstanding job at trial which has left nothing but very flimsy grounds for any HC appeal.
The best they've got is Weinberg thinks the witness might not have been as believable as he needed to be. That's not something that will sway the HC to reverse the decision, given what the majority ruled on the same issue.

Schneebly

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
You think?

Kidd did an absolutely outstanding job at trial which has left nothing but very flimsy grounds for any HC appeal.
The best they've got is Weinberg thinks the witness might not have been as believable as he needed to be. That's not something that will sway the HC to reverse the decision, given what the majority ruled on the same issue.

What a lot of Pell backers are ignoring.

Pell’s backers do say that the High Court has overturned a lot of Appeals Courts judgements lately, but what they are not telling you is that those Appeals courts had overturned the decision of a trial jury, which was then re-instated by the HC. The High Court has stated Appeals courts must put more trust in the judgement of juries. So in this case the defence has nowhere to go because the Appeals court agreed with the jury (or at least agreed that the jury could return guilty as a valid verdict).

What Pell’s defence want to do is, just like the appeal, is re run the trial in front of the High Court in the hope that they will decide “Pell certaintly couldn’t be guilty”, third time lucky I guess. The High Court won’t give a toss. They will only take the appeal if they be shown that errors were made in the trial or the appeal or there is a substantive issue on the underlying law that this case affects.

Like a previous poster said, it’s the Chief of the County Court making sure no mistakes were made in the original trial, with his opinion being backed up by the Chief of the Supreme Court and the President of the Appeals Court. Wanna bet they made sure there were zero mistakes. The swimming pool trial collapsed because they were so strict on the evidence that they allowed to be introduced into the case even though the DPP thought they had a conviction.

The way Bolt/Jones/Credlin/Kelly etc have been talking you’d think the 3 justices (Kidd/Ferguson/Maxwell) got their law degrees from a cereal box and were appointed as judges the day before. Typical of course to denigrate those whom they disagree with.

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
Thanks for the replies.
Murdoch does like winners, though, and at the moment Pell is looking a big loser. Perhaps it's now an exercise in power and ability to change the narrative, they are a family ever willing to use that power for ill. His old man tried to get Monash removed from Australian command in WWI, even convincing the PM to go to Europe and relieve him. When Billy Hughes got to France he found a very different opinion of Monash, ie the very best allied General. Typical Murdoch, Sir Keith was willing to undermine the allied war effort because of his prejudice and able to because of his power. Not dissimilar to what Fox News has done for democracy. They really are a horrible family.
Goodness me, you know your stuff. Murdoch's anti-Semitism against Monash was as a result of him attaching himself to the coattails of C.E.W. Bean, Australia's official war correspondent. Murdoch was p1ssed off he didn't get Bean's gig, but decided to insert himself anyway.

Shameful behaviour from both of them, though at least Bean apologised some twenty years later. The same cannot be said of Rupert's odious dad. How the delightful and estimable Dame Elizabeth ever got involved with such a turd defies analysis

One only has to look at the disproportionate number of self-acknowledged catholics who write features for The Australian to understand where the Dirty Digger thinks his real influence in this country lies, and which masthead best represents his editor-informed views. Nobody has ever accused him of being stupid.

Last edited:

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
The High Court may not even agree to hear the case
Easily the most likely outcome. The defence had the option of appealing to the higher court on the occasion of the confirmation of his conviction. They chose not to do so. Maybe the money runs out at the Appeals Court.

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
You think?

It will as I have said previously probably get up, they are not going to review the case a third time. Hopefully it takes a while

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Easily the most likely outcome. The defence had the option of appealing to the higher court on the occasion of the confirmation of his conviction. They chose not to do so. Maybe the money runs out at the Appeals Court.
It's the catholic church, who built st Peter's out of screwing the poor of Europe. Its a union on steroids they never run out of other people's money to spend on themselves.

Imagine if they spent it on the poor

Last edited:

Contra Mundum

10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
You think?

Don’t get me wrong I hope they don’t give it special leave - Weinberg knew exactly what he was doing - he was setting up the "interests of justice" ground for special leave. Best result is for the High to knock special leave back.

Ron Merkel has been running the line on Appeals since he went back to the Bar: “that trial judge made a determination on credit that you should not disturb”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Don’t get me wrong I hope they don’t give it special leave - Weinberg knew exactly what he was doing - he was setting up the "interests of justice" ground for special leave. Best result is for the High to knock special leave back.

Ron Merkel has been running the line on Appeals since he went back to the Bar: “that trial judge made a determination on credit that you should not disturb”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The HC should knock it back, the CA judgment was an absolute shellacking.
I don't know much about Weinberg, but I wouldn't be surprised. His dissenting judgment was weak.

Contra Mundum

10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
The HC should knock it back, the CA judgment was an absolute shellacking.
I don't know much about Weinberg, but I wouldn't be surprised. His dissenting judgment was weak.

His PhD was on appeals overturning jury verdicts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back