Recommitted Lachie Whitfield [re-signed for 7 more years]

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Fair enough but all the talk has been how they have had to overpay youngsters to stay and there cap is tight will be interesting to see. We seem to have some wriggle room as well since we have been linked to crouch bros. At the end of the day media guessing game

Nah you're getting clubs confused. That's Gold Coast you're thinking of, as GWS have actually built a pretty good culture. Hopper and Taranto re-signed, and I guarantee their worth on the open market would absolutely dwarf what they're on at GWS (Taranto especially).

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
We got rid of a ton of talent so we could afford the contracts this year.

Patton himself is on a big contract this year and next and will be moved on.

Shaw(Possible), Mumford, Lids, Simspon are all retiring.

And Tomlinson be going as well.

We have a plan of attack for Whitfield and Jezzas contracts for next year. Have no fear

Both seemed overjoyed with Cogs re-signing in the announcement video so..

Still, I like to fantasize about Cameron playing alongside Hawkins at Geelong, haha

With that said, I think it's great that players like Taranto, Cogs, Hopper etc. are buying into the culture and staying put. If Cameron stays, then I have no qualms whatsoever.

Nah you're getting clubs confused. That's Gold Coast you're thinking of, as GWS have actually built a pretty good culture. Hopper and Taranto re-signed, and I guarantee their worth on the open market would absolutely dwarf what they're on at GWS (Taranto especially).
The bloke Carlton picked up from the giants this year was on 350/400k so they both do it

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
The bloke Carlton picked up from the giants this year was on 350/400k so they both do it

Yeah but he was at least a top 5 draft pick and showed a lot early on. Meanwhile, players like Corey Ellis and Aaron Young who have shown not much at all, are probably on a similar salary

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Genuine question? Given that Geelong has never actually dealt with GWS and generally has a pretty good name within the trade world, are there players that are 'gettable', in the event our Kelly leaves?

Only ask because I absolutely love Taranto, but I know that he's pretty well entrenched in your midfield. Would Whit re-signing and another club in a good position offering better money, be a chance of prying him away? Slim chance I know, but I am genuinely curious as he is who would I love at our club (behind Coniglio)
I honestly don't know.

All the Players seem happy at the moment and it's been a while since we had anyone that seemed destined to return.

If talking mids Taranto is a possibility with Hopper recently re-signing but I guess that would depend on the Cogs and Whitfield situations

Taranto recently re-signed, and is contracted through to the end of 2022 now.

Whitfield, Jeremy Cameron (might be tempted to somewhat go home to country Vic at Geelong), Zach Williams and Jeremy Finlayson all out of contract at the end of 2020 at this stage though...

Bay Giant

All Australian
Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Taranto recently re-signed, and is contracted through to the end of 2022 now.

Whitfield, Jeremy Cameron (might be tempted to somewhat go home to country Vic at Geelong), Zach Williams and Jeremy Finlayson all out of contract at the end of 2020 at this stage though...
Whitfield - will NEVER play for a Victorian club - he loves living away from the fishbowl existence. Of course the Suns might offer him $2,000,000 a year and he may leave, but he will 100% not be playing in the Southern States it WA.

Cameron - trains in the morning then goes out on the harbour fishing. If he doesn’t fish, he’s on the Golf Course. He can do both in Melbourne, particularly Geelong, but he has already earned his golden contract and I think he will stick around on less money Han he is currently on and will be offered elsewhere.

Williams - NSW Country boy. Not going anywhere.

Finlayson - NSW Country boy. Not going anywhere.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Finlayson - NSW Country boy. Not going anywhere.

Well he was openly shopped last trade period and there was absolutely no interest from any of the 17 other clubs who could have picked him up for a packet of chips and a can of coke. This of course follows his academy drafting when not a single one of the 17 clubs wanted to even suggest they’d make a bid.

So, basically, overlooked or rejected twice by every other club in the league.

How’s that decision to say TOJ isn’t worth getting, however cheaply, looking now? A few clubs might be regretting that one.

scratchy09

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well he was openly shopped last trade period and there was absolutely no interest from any of the 17 other clubs who could have picked him up for a packet of chips and a can of coke. This of course follows his academy drafting when not a single one of the 17 clubs wanted to even suggest they’d make a bid.

So, basically, overlooked or rejected twice by every other club in the league.

How’s that decision to say TOJ isn’t worth getting, however cheaply, looking now? A few clubs might be regretting that one.

I was spewing when we didn't chase Finlayson last off-season and thought it was a mistake. With hindsight, was 100% a mistake we didn't go after him.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dododoro always wins trade week, even when he loses. Very much like Clive Palmer ;)
As long as he says he wins he wins, it's called being deluded.
4FA37D3E-21DA-4C3F-9DA3-63729BC15D38.gif

Aug 28, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
kinda hope Carlton don't go after him. all 2018 we all thought/hoped shiel would go to carlton. 2019 it was Coniglio,, I don't wanna go through all that again then not even get him. Cant see him leaving anyway

You have Dusty, Lynch, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Rance, all on 700K-1 MIL. Not sure I see much difference
Richmond is a fair comparison, but how many other teams have multiple million dollar players? Geelong don't have any I don't think, Hawthorn don't have any, nor do Essendon, Carlton, West Coast etc. I don't think it's unreasonable to question how GWS can fit in potentially up to 4 millionaires. Maybe there's just a bigger gap between the rich and the poor there?

Back