Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

It includes Finn.

1. 25% discount
2. Matching where other clubs bid on him (likely a tiny bit later then his actual value)
3. Matching with later picks. (Early picks are really worth more then their ‘points value’, and later picks less)
4. Being able to use a pick to get ANOTHER player as good or better then Finn.

It makes too much sense if you have a high end F/S or academy player, to match bids for them.

Someone’s probably done the math, but you’d have to have a drastically different perception of a player’s value to not match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spot on.

That's the added bonus of having high level FS or Academy kids. Discount allows them to be had at lower than market rate, plus having to match points rather than a pick allows us to do great things with any pick beforehand and use a bunch of far less valuable picks later on to make up the difference.

As close to being able to rort the system as Gil and his daily dealings.

I’m going early here but:

Gil has already tweeted, saying he hopes Franklin Jnr stays in $ydney. He then went on to say it's just an opinion and he's not getting involved at all, though the AFL will be providing ambassadorial child care in the $ydney area. Seems legit to me.

Finn won't be top 11, so no danger of having to use out first pick. Our second pick is perfectly placed to grab him if someone else bids 15 - 25.
Which is exactly why we should trade it a) for a player or b) to move our first pick up.

As long as we have a few 3rd rounders we should be right.

Fantastic article by Cal Twomey about Finn Maginness just went up on AFL website. He seems to really love the Hawks which is great. Sounds like a really good kid, tragic story too.

I really hope we draft him, we need a feel good story

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are going to the draft.......then would be good to get another first rounder somewhere before pick 15ish.
3 top 15 picks in the draft could be good for future plus Downie next year.

No Youf

You don't just take 3 picks in any old draft regardless of the talent in there. Genuinely one of the more stupid things you could do. You take early picks when you have players identified that are worth taking with early picks.

Makes a lot more sense to use them in trade.

Maguinness is a good size for a midfielder. With his high skill set he can play inside/outside. He wasn’t even touted in the top 30 in the phantom draft earlier in the year.

WWSD you’re really going to need to learn to spell Maginness correctly.
Poor old Finn will follow in the footsteps of other great spelling errors like Osbourne and Thorpe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back