TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Some interesting future news out of New Zealand.
In one of AFLNZ reports on their Womens Game it has been speculated that with the entry of AFL St Kilda into the AFLW could mean a pathway for NZ Youth Girls.
However we think it is likely that St Kilda being a Sponsor of NZ footy could be tapped for assistance with the NZ Womens set up which could include NZ promotions by some of the AFLW players. A key target likely to be included are their NZ High Schools.

Jun 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Some interesting future news out of New Zealand.
In one of AFLNZ reports on their Womens Game it has been speculated that with the entry of AFL St Kilda into the AFLW could mean a pathway for NZ Youth Girls.
However we think it is likely that St Kilda being a Sponsor of NZ footy could be tapped for assistance with the NZ Womens set up which could include NZ promotions by some of the AFLW players. A key target likely to be included are their NZ High Schools.

Where's this report? I can't find anything on the aflnz website or anywhere else?

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
I found it by accident just poking around. This stuff should be more prominent on the site, and I do not know why they don`t, because like the AFL Annual Report it covers everything.
Type in search box on the site.
2018 AFL New Zealand Annual Report.
Then click on "No Image" square on left.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
This move to play two New Zealand women in the Tassie team is not new but it is a pointer to the future, with hopefully a steady stream of talented NZ Women players making their International debuts, at an Australian Championship level.
What is of most interest is that AFLW scouts will be in attendance for the Champs and lets hope the two players attract some attention, and it would be a huge boost for the Womens game over there over time if they got drafted.
The two players involved likely will be in the NZ Kahus National Womens team which will be in Melbourne for IC2020 for the first time.

http://aflnz.co.nz/blog/2019/05/30/kahu-duo-set-to-swoop-on-aflw-national-champs/

We should add here that the AFLNZ conducted their first Womens National League match this year, which was a milestone after years of hard work to get the player base up to more sustainable numbers.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Found this older article discussing the start up of Womens footy in Bogota Columbia South America.

Another article giving more back ground to Womens footy in Bogota.

The result of the Bogota Bulldogs Womens team v U.S. Denver Bulldogs Womens team match held in mid May in Bogota.
The Denver team included a lady from Germany.
What a great initiative by the Denver Club to send Women and Mens teams down there.

Here again we have newcomers to our game really embracing the inclusiveness of it to anybody interested enough to rock up and have a go.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
The 9-a-side Euro Cup is on in Sweden this weekend and I caught up with representatives from all eight women's teams participating.
England - Ireland - Switzerland - Croatia - Wales - France - Sweden - Germany

The Irish team won the comp and showed again their overall strength.
Also with 12 Irish players involved next year in the 2020 AFLW it gives some indication of the successful development in Ireland.

Last edited:

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Here we have a change of pace --
The National U18 Womens Champs will resume shortly.
There is a possible good International Footy news story evolving in that New Zealander Killarney Morey may have attracted the attention of AFLW Scouts it seems.
Killarney Morey has been down this road before and is one of several Kiwi women who have played for Tasmania in an attempt to get noticed.
The Womens game in NZ has grown very slowly with several High Schools involved in comps in the NZ summer which means with no winter comps there is a continuity situation. AFLNZ has set up Academies and matches against lower level Vic teams to try to keep the players interested and have commenced a 2 team National Womens League that plays in the Feb/April alongside the Mens League.
We wish her well, and alongside the fact that St Kilda will field a team in the AFLW next year and scuttlebuck says that they may involve in the future Kiwis in their recruiting - Very early days though, but maybe just rumours.

Here is extract from the Champs web page.
Eastern Allies: Defender Georgia Garnett was named NSW/ACT's second-best player in both matches played against Tasmania. Brenna Tarrant is one to look for up forward, coming off a four-goal haul, while Canberra's Olivia O'Donnell has also impressed so far. Of the Tasmanian contingent, the consistent Mia King has shone, while New Zealander Killarney Morey has also impressed.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
AFL England has been working hard to develop Womens footy in recent times.
They have created a Womens League to eventually cover regional England and is seperate to the London Womens comp which pioneered Womens footy in the U.K.
According to the article this comp has expanded this season to 3 teams up from the previous 2.

AFL England is locked in a tussle with the Irish Womens comps to see who sits at the top of Womens footy over there - Ireland currently sits at the top which is being reflected partly in the current recruitment to the AFLW. We say partly because some of the Irish players come from other sports.

AFL England has also set up the Womens Footy Universities comp which has successfully kicked off, and which will over time increase the player base for them. Another positive is the students who do take up our game will eventually move on from Uni and hopefully will assist in spreading the gospel according to Tom Wills.

Last edited:

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
AFL Asia has been quietly promoting Womens footy in Asia and from a nil base has seen 5 teams established in the last couple of years.
On May 12 this year the Singapore Wombats Club which has 423 members launched their Womens team and had 16 players rock up.
This group will join the other 4 clubs in the 2019 AFL Asia Womens League.
Vietnam Swans Women
Malayasian Warriors Women
Cambodian Apsaras Women
Hong Kong Dragons Women
The teams are a mixture of expats and locals and give depth to the game up there.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Another Governing Body that is slowly developing its Women players is AFLNZ. Auckland has been the main thrust of its development and the creation of the 2 team National Womens League are all positives.
The National Womens team the Kahuas commenced as a youth team in circa 2016 and is now transforming into a Senior team to compete for the first time at next years International Cup in Melbourne.
Recently the NZ Wellington League announced it was going to develop a Womens Development Squad with 30 players.
We noted that a large group of Women Gaelic Footballers fronted up for the first session, and cannot help think is the publicity of the Irish Women entering the AFLW having an effect.

Nov 2, 2004
Yulee
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Womens IC20 looks set to be capped at 8 teams. AFLNZ looks set to get a guernsey and I have heard AFL Germany will get the nod from AFL Europe to be their third team in ahead of European Crusaders. So which spot will AFLNZ take? Pakistan or Fiji would seem the obvious choices, but AFLPNG might also be a possibility.

Jun 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Womens IC20 looks set to be capped at 8 teams. AFLNZ looks set to get a guernsey and I have heard AFL Germany will get the nod from AFL Europe to be their third team in ahead of European Crusaders. So which spot will AFLNZ take? Pakistan or Fiji would seem the obvious choices, but AFLPNG might also be a possibility.

Pakistan. Fiji had the biggest win of the tournament when they beat Pakistan 29.20 (194) to 0 and they lost to the runners up of the tournament by 1 point.

I would like to see only 1 group with 8 teams, all playing each other. Top 4 go through.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
The AFL Asia Championships are on this Saturday in Pattaya, Thailand.

Six women's teams are participating - Cambodia, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong and regining champs Vietnam.

I interviewed a player from each side on our podcast this week.

Another team -Thailand - has been added since my Aug 6 article and Peter Holden also mentioned 2 x teams from Indonesia and 1 from Japan are in formation for next years Champs.
The teams themselves have a United Nations feel about them and are jelling like all footy teams do after a while.
Soccer Football, Rugby and Gaelic Football are well known up there so to have our Womens game grow in that enviroment is no mean feat, and it is becoming apparent that the AFLW competition on TV being available up there is a major driver of expansion.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Pakistan. Fiji had the biggest win of the tournament when they beat Pakistan 29.20 (194) to 0 and they lost to the runners up of the tournament by 1 point.

I would like to see only 1 group with 8 teams, all playing each other. Top 4 go through.
And I would like the number of teams split at 50/50 Men and Women in the spirit of fairness.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
How should they run the group format? The same as 2017 or?
No the point I am making is the AFL have capped the number of Womens teams at 8 leaving the Mens numbers unchanged ????. Probably that will be ok for a while but eventually more Womens teams will want to travel to Australia.
The IC2017 list of 8 Womens countries below.
NZ will travel for the first time and Germany very likely to travel for the first time and both will replace someone.
Germany to replace Crusaders.
NZ to replace Fiji.
I think PNG (South Pacific) and Pakistan (Asia) need to remain for geographical reasons, and there is a development person (Michael Gallus) apparently travelling in September to assist AFL Pakistan, which has Womens teams and Gallus who coached them at IC2017, will likely restructure their set up.
We should add nothing is set in stone at this point but it is worth talking about.
  • 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
    Canada
  • 23px-Flag_of_Fiji.svg.png
    Fiji
  • 23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
    Great Britain
  • 23px-Flag_of_Pakistan.svg.png
    Pakistan

Last edited:

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
No the point I am making is the AFL have capped the number of Womens teams at 8 leaving the Mens numbers unchanged ????. Probably that will be ok for a while but eventually more Womens teams will want to travel to Australia.
The IC2017 list of 8 Womens countries below.
NZ will travel for the first time and Germany very likely to travel for the first time and both will replace someone.
Germany to replace Crusaders.
NZ to replace Fiji.
I think PNG (South Pacific) and Pakistan (Asia) need to remain for geographical reasons, and there is a development person (Michael Gallus) apparently travelling in September to assist AFL Pakistan, which has Womens teams and Gallus who coached them at IC2017, will likely restructure their set up.
We should add nothing is set in stone at this point but it is worth talking about.
I think the previous versions, the womens draw was cobbled together. First had a nonsense Australian team to make up the numbers. Pakistan was really marginal as a team last year, and the Crusaders that are not a national team at all. Next one will be the first I think with 8 reasonable teams drawn from countries with some sort of domestic womens competition, its the way it should look, and from here on in, if countries come along that deserve it, the comp will expand imop.

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
I have a soluton to work around the cap in the short-term, before a proper qualifying process is put in place.

Considering some European and Asian countries have women playing footy, but not enough for a full squad for their country, a 2nd unofficial women's division should run alongside the IC20 tournament - perhaps call it the IC20 Invitational Series.

Four team play - European Crusaders, AFL Asia, AFL South Pacific and an all-comers side (call it World All-Stars).

Europe, Asia and South Pacific would play for the title, with the team having a 'bye' to play an all-comers team, which would feature the players from the squads of the 8 IC20 teams - mainly those who might be only playing one or two games with their country, so they get an extra match or two while out here.

Fixture
Opening Sunday - Europe v Asia, South Pacific - Bye (vs. all-comers)
Wednesday - Asia v South Pacific, Europe - Bye (vs. all-comers)
Saturday - South Pacific v Europe, Asia - Bye (vs. all-comers)
Tuesday - Grand Final (1st v 2nd), 3rd - Bye (vs. all-comers)
Friday - 1st v IC20's 5th ranked, 2nd v IC20's 6th ranked, 3rd v IC20's 7th ranked, all-comers v IC20's 8th ranked

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Really expansive thinking there with the right intentions.
In the short term maybe should be mid term perhaps = 10 years.
I have a vested interest in 10 years in that AFL India is saying they have about 20% of their participation are school girls so in 10 years they maybe ready.
For India to have a Womens team travel will be a major cultural event for all concerned although Japan of all places will likely beat them culturally with possible entry to the 2020 Asian Champs.

Back