Ok what the hell is going on with Starc

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
Watching some of the comments about Starc has been quite hilarious and really eye opening.

They certainly have been eye opening. For you. I've refuted every argument you've thrown at me regarding Starc in the match threads but you still can't get past your blind hate. So now you're adopting cheap tactics like speaking in generalities instead of being specific, or building up straw men.

There's a weird perception of Starc from some people that he's some smart, incredible bowler who turns it up to 150km and has oppositions scared.

That's the straw man. I've never said this and noone else on BF during this Ashes series has. Finally an argument about Starc that you can dismantle. Only because it's one devised by yourself. Then again, I'm not sure you've even achieved that. Lets have a closer look at what you thought was a clever dismantling of this straw man argument that you cobbled together yourself.

Truth is he's a dumb bowler in the longer format who people thought would continue to improve and turn into peak Johnson.

Generalities. Subjective opinion. Nothing specific. Strike rate? Nah ... don't want to talk about that. Leading wicket taker last time we toured England? Nah. He's just dumb. Your argument ....... is what's dumb.

He's nearly 30 and won't be long before his speed suffers and then he'll have zero to offer the format.

The zenith of your dismantling of your own crappy Straw Man argument. He'll soon be slow .... I hope. Then i can really justify why i hate him. Pathetic.

Edit: I've noticed you might be coming around a little, having liked the post immediately before this one, which is defending Starc to a degree. If so, forgive the harsh tone.

Last edited:

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
Standard bowling by Starc, not threatening unless he's going for runs, aka he takes wickets with wide balls that deserve a 4.

Ohhh. Is that why the captain got him to bowl more than the rest?? Because he was crap? Nice logic there dickwomble. :thumbsu:

For the record he bowled 16 overs - 5 maidens - 3 for 46. Economy rate of 2.87. 1 wide and 2 no balls. 1 wide in almost 100 deliveries. Keep going though, I'm sure you'll find something else to fault through those jaundiced coloured glasses SFB.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Ohhh. Is that why the captain got him to bowl more than the rest?? Because he was crap? Nice logic there dickwomble. :thumbsu:

For the record he bowled 16 overs - 5 maidens - 3 for 46. Economy rate of 2.87. 1 wide and 2 no balls. 1 wide in almost 100 deliveries. Keep going though, I'm sure you'll find something else to fault through those jaundiced coloured glasses SFB.
You realise this is test cricket right and it is very difficult to bowl a wide.... There was 1 wide per 187 deliveries in the last test. In the Lords test there was 1 wide per 348 deliveries.

Good work on abusing me though, shows your true intellect.

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
You realise this is test cricket right ...

Really? I didn't realise Derbyshire was a Test playing nation.

Good work on abusing me though, shows your true intellect.

Would it be the same sort of intellect you displayed towards me before I did so? Like when you took the time to react with a dislike reacticon to post
#51 rather than address anything I'd said within it you disagree with? Don't claim the high moral ground. It doesn't suit you.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Would it be the same sort of intellect you displayed towards me before I did so? Like when you took the time to react with a dislike reacticon to post
#51 rather than address anything I'd said within it you disagree with? Don't claim the high moral ground. It doesn't suit you.
I'm not allowed to use the dislike button unless I respond to the post? What are you some kind of forum nazi?

If you look deeper you'll see I agreed with the OP and then disagreed with you.. meaning I support his statements and don't feel there is more to be added. Your post is also full of fanboisms. The way you see it, Starc has never bowled a bad spell in his life.

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
I'm not allowed to use the dislike button unless I respond to the post?

Nice way to make a point when you don't have one. Exaggerate. Where did I say you couldn't use the dislike button without responding? Of course you can. Don't try and stop me from making conclusions about your intellect based on it though, especially when you've jumped to a similar one based on me using the deeply offensive word 'dickwomble'. :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Nice way to make a point when you don't have one. Exaggerate. Where did I say you couldn't use the dislike button without responding? Of course you can. Don't object to me making conclusions about your intellect based on it though especially when you've jumped to a similar one based on me using the deeply offensive word 'dickwomble'. :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:
lol.. the amount of flip flopping in these last few posts by you is something that a politician would be proud of. Is that you Colin?

Your idea of an argument is attempt to trap someone using anything you can. You start by describing irrelevant stats to red ball cricket. You then say if I dislike a post then I must respond with an argument. You then say you never said such a thing. Classic unintelligible arguing. Hopefully Starc will accept your friend request on FB one day.

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
You then say if I dislike a post then I must respond with an argument. You then say you never said such a thing.

English is not your first language is it?

I never said you must respond with an argument when using the dislike button. That's a conclusion you've assumed based on protecting your inflated ego. Of course if you can't handle the fact that I or anyone else will draw certain conclusions based on it you might feel compelled to do so but that's on your head, not mine. In this case, had you done so, we might be having an entirely different discussion focused more on Starc rather than our perceptions of each others personalties or intellect. No skin off my nose though, I get the feeling you'd rather continue with the latter. I'm unfazed either way. It would probably show better respect to other members of the forum if we focused back on Starc though. You could start by being more specific about your precise objections with #51. Your choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
Starc can't win. People complain about his economy rate, so when he puts in a performance with a good one he gets criticised for "taking wickets with wide balls that deserve a 4" purposefully ignoring the fact that 2 of the 3 wickets he took were clean bowled. Talk about having a jaundiced perspective. You'd think they would acknowledge he's improved exponentially in that area since 2011/2012 when they regularly used to predict he would bowl "5 wides in his first ball" and similar in Tests against NZ & India. So now he's not bowling a lot of ACTUAL wides, their complaint is against him bowling the odd wideish delivery that produces a wicket. FMD.

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
If he's bowling with the new ball, it would be good if he could pick up some top order wickets.

He bowled a 7 over spell at the start, the first two of which the Derbyshire batsman were very tentative towards him, leaving as many as they could and blocking the rest. After Neser picked up two in quick succession in his second over they went even more into their shell apart from the South African Leus du Plooy who looked impressive.

After bowling his first spell, Khawaja inexplicably didn't bowl Starc again until the 37th over when the top order were no longer around.

Last edited:

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
After Neser picked up two in quick succession in his second over
I reckon he'd pick up wickets with the new ball in England. The problem is I'm not sure how he'd go once the ball gets older against test level batsmen, although admittedly giving some of the English batsmen - and Australian batsmen for that matter - the status of "test level batsmen" does seem a stretch.

So you'd probably only get 10 to 12 good overs out of him per day which puts him at all rounder level and our batting isn't near strong enough to have him batting #7 and Paine at #6. As a pure bowler Neser is clearly #6 on the pecking order of this touring squad.

EDIT: if Neser was picked for a test on this tour (I don't think he will be) I would definitely be giving him the new ball into the wind for 3-4 overs.

Last edited:

Tigerssaints

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hobart f c
i think they will select Hazlewood ,and Starc 12 man
let Hazlewood bowl 6 opening overs , gets a couple of wickets . that will finish it for him
he accidentally steps on the Ball and rolls his angle badly , so we then replace him with Starc

:cool::cool::cool:

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
How is someone who is clearly a better bowler than Pete Siddle not in the test side?

Ohitsthatguy

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Siddle has bowled better than his figures suggest this series, anyone who watched the tests he played in would attest to that. And this coming from someone who has been super critical of him the last few years but he knows these English conditions.

Starc is an incredibly unreliable bowler in tests, so much legside jank, no stock ball, lots of tail-end wickets.

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
7 wickets in the tour match which he just wrapped up with 2 in 2 balls. Bowled economical and accurate spells, bowled lethal wicket-taking spells on a road, got top order batters out, mowed down tail-enders. I reckon he's raring to go for the final couple of Tests.

And in case someone wants to mention that he went for 3.66 RPO in the second innings - I don't care what your economy rate is if you take 4-39.

Ohitsthatguy

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
7 wickets in the tour match which he just wrapped up with 2 in 2 balls. Bowled economical and accurate spells, bowled lethal wicket-taking spells on a road, got top order batters out, mowed down tail-enders. I reckon he's raring to go for the final couple of Tests.

And in case someone wants to mention that he went for 3.66 RPO in the second innings - I don't care what your economy rate is if you take 4-39.
Fair enough, he has bowled well in this tour game.

Is it enough to get him in the team... not sure. Maybe over Patto? Patto hasn't been at his best this series but I feel he just needs more cricket.

Back