Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

I hope Bonts not the marrying kind. Hope he's having lots of unprotected sex and there's many little Bonts on the way even as we speak. To hell with social niceties when there's the prospect of many many f/s Bonts possible.
Regardless of what Bont’s up to in his spare time it makes me wonder how many little bastards with single mums are running around out there because their footballing superstar dads couldn’t keep their pants zipped up.

Will the AFL recognise one-night stand paternity? What if the dad wants it kept hush hush but the offspring is desperate to get to his dad’s club? Will the AFL accept a DNA test? Or will they broker a secret deal (with some plausible public rationale) that satisfies the wishes of both parties?

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Interestingly, on the topic of AFLCA awards, Tim Kelly took out the AFLCA 'Best Young Player' award despite being 1 year older than Bont - an award the great man won all the way back in 2015.

Odd that an award with 'young' in the title carries no age limit.

Tom Stewart won last year as well, also older than Bont. Very odd. Would’ve been funny if Podsiadly won the award in his first two seasons.

Still probably better than EPLs version of best young player. James Milner won the award in 2009/10 after making his debut over 7 years earlier in 2002. Raheem Sterling won last year, after playing 226 PL games and made his debut in 2011

Last edited:

giblj

Cancelled
Nov 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Tom Stewart won last year as well, also older than Bont. Very odd. Would’ve been funny if Podsiadly won the award in his first two seasons.

Still probably better than EPLs version of best young player. James Milner won the award in 2009/10 after making his debut over 7 years earlier in 2002. Raheem Sterling won last year, after playing 226 PL games and made his debut in 2011
At least Milner and Sterling were under 25! Bizarre awards both.

Is that the first time that the AFLCA best 'young' player was older than the winner of the big prize?

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If he manages to get his goal kicking back to where it should be, the afl may start him with a 3 game handicap in all awards just to make it fair to the rest of the league
I still think Bont is an accurate kick regardless of his goal kicking stats this year. So many of his shots are from 50 and a stack hit the post or just missed. Passes perfectly more often than not too.

dogspur

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't think Bont wins the MVP tonight. Not judged on a game-by-game basis, so the bigger names from more popular clubs will always hold an advantage.

If he manages to get his goal kicking back to where it should be, the afl may start him with a 3 game handicap in all awards just to make it fair to the rest of the league

15 - 25 this season with the odd out on the full. He's had the semi-yips for at least a season.

He's capable of kicking 35 goals a year, maybe more

Last edited:

Doggy Dan

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
15 - 25 this season with the odd out on the full. He's had the semi-yips for at least a season.

He's capable of kicking 35 goals a season, maybe more

Not to mention taking marks 10m out and playing on not registering scores at all. Truly bizarre the tricks the mind can play.

Best he’s looked kicking for goal this year was last week when he baulked a Crows player and kicked it straight through on his right peg.

Smiley Boy

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It feels Bont is seriously undervalued by the AFL not polling in the top 5 for the AFLPA MVP? Seriously?

Tim Kelly played a good first half and did sweet fck all after but he comes second?

Baffling!

1. Patrick Cripps (832)
2. Tim Kelly (519)
3. Lachie Neale (481)
4. Brodie Grundy (355)
5. Nat Fyfe (303)

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No arguments with Cripps winning.......absolute star!

Was always going to win. So many players in awe of him and so loved. I’ve always been fascinated by this award though. Most of the MVP have been the very best and many have gone on to win Brownlow as well but it’s never quite sat well with me. It’ll sound like sour grapes - it’s not because I’ve thought this well before now - but I was always hoping Bont would win the Coaches award over the MVP and even the Brownlow because I feel like it’s the one awarded by the group most in tune with what players are doing in the actual game. Players MVP always has come across as a popularity contest. I mean Cripps won by over 300 votes! ( at least 500 more than Bont!!)Mitchell over 200 last year. Doesn’t seem to be a very analytical voting process based on actual week by week performance when the gap is that much. 800 players, 100 of them teenagers who are still young enough to be hero worshipping their peers, vote after the season finish with very little time or interest to think and just go Cripps love him, Kelly what a first half, like they’re rushing through the Senate paper on Election Day. Cripps deserves the win just like Bont deserved the win and whoever wins the Brownlow deserves the win but I would love to hear what the thought process was for the players as they vote. Hey I’m sure Bont voted for Cripps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Was always going to win. So many players in awe of him and so loved. I’ve always been fascinated by this award though. Most of the MVP have been the very best and many have gone on to win Brownlow as well but it’s never quite sat well with me. It’ll sound like sour grapes - it’s not because I’ve thought this well before now - but I was always hoping Bont would win the Coaches award over the MVP and even the Brownlow because I feel like it’s the one awarded by the group most in tune with what players are doing in the actual game. Players MVP always has come across as a popularity contest. I mean Cripps won by over 300 votes! ( at least 500 more than Bont!!)Mitchell over 200 last year. Doesn’t seem to be a very analytical voting process based on actual week by week performance when the gap is that much. 800 players, 100 of them teenagers who are still young enough to be hero worshipping their peers, vote after the season finish with very little time or interest to think and just go Cripps love him, Kelly what a first half, like they’re rushing through the Senate paper on Election Day. Cripps deserves the win just like Bont deserved the win and whoever wins the Brownlow deserves the win but I would love to hear what the thought process was for the players as they vote. Hey I’m sure Bont voted for Cripps!

For comparison I'd love to see a coaches awaed based on an end of season vote, like AFLPA, rather than a cumulative vote based on individual games. Would be interesting to see if Cripps, Bont or someone entirely different took that out - obviously with only 18 coaches the vote is limited though.

Doggy Dan

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It feels Bont is seriously undervalued by the AFL not polling in the top 5 for the AFLPA MVP? Seriously?

Tim Kelly played a good first half and did sweet fck all after but he comes second?

Baffling!

1. Patrick Cripps (832)
2. Tim Kelly (519)
3. Lachie Neale (481)
4. Brodie Grundy (355)
5. Nat Fyfe (303)

At least Bont’s teammates like him. Man I laughed and laughed when I found out the Clangerfield’s teammates don’t rate him top 3 in their team.

dogspur

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Baffling!

1. Patrick Cripps (832)
2. Tim Kelly (519)
3. Lachie Neale (481)
4. Brodie Grundy (355)
5. Nat Fyfe (303)
Again, this award is not voted on a game by game basis. Players only vote once at the end of the year.

As far as the best performing players for the year go, it's a very even lineup. Bont is right up there, but because he plays for the Bulldogs, he doesn't get anywhere near the same volume of hype and media attention as say, Cripps or Tim Kelly.

Kelly got so much hype in the first half of the year that a lot of it got carried over to now. The ongoing discussions about his future keep him in the headlines too.

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For comparison I'd love to see a coaches awaed based on an end of season vote, like AFLPA, rather than a cumulative vote based on individual games. Would be interesting to see if Cripps, Bont or someone entirely different took that out - obviously with only 18 coaches the vote is limited though.

Throw in all the assistant coaches and you have a bigger pool. Would be interesting to see how the voting changes from really watching the actual season performance of the player - current coaches award - and the “who would you want in your side if you could have him” award, which is what your suggestion could turn into. But I prefer one based on actual performance for the year, although the MVP can still be considered that. Cripps can easily be considered better this year than Bont in the eyes of others. It’s just the margin that inflates the difference in performance beyond reality.

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Again, this award is not voted on a game by game basis. Players only vote once at the end of the year.

As far as the best performing players for the year go, it's a very even lineup. Bont is right up there, but because he plays for the Bulldogs, he doesn't get anywhere near the same volume of hype and media attention as say, Cripps or Tim Kelly.

Kelly got so much hype in the first half of the year that a lot of it got carried over to now. The ongoing discussions about his future keep him in the headlines too.

Agree. A lot of the players are so focused on preparing themselves for playing they would be no different to the average BF poster and just reacting to the weeks coverage. We whinge consistently about the lack of coverage our best performances got this year while the players in that top five were either part of the weekly drama cycle or the feel good story. Bont’s performance in the Coaches award was just a scrolling newsfeed at the bottom of the screen while Robbo and Gerard, the Couch Boys and the rest waffled on about the latest news out of the higher profile clubs.

Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Agree. A lot of the players are so focused on preparing themselves for playing they would be no different to the average BF poster and just reacting to the weeks coverage. We whinge consistently about the lack of coverage our best performances got this year while the players in that top five were either part of the weekly drama cycle or the feel good story. Bont’s performance in the Coaches award was just a scrolling newsfeed at the bottom of the screen while Robbo and Gerard, the Couch Boys and the rest waffled on about the latest news out of the higher profile clubs.

Can I please like this twice!!

giblj

Cancelled
Nov 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

One of the questions in the record profiles this year was how many games a week do you watch. Was one or two for a lot of them, that says it all regarding the value of this award really.

Each award has its quirks.

Coaches may rate player games according to different standards.

Players might not watch games enough but still have a vote.

At the end of the day though they are both prestigious in themselves.

Bont has won something Cripps would trade everything else for however, and been the club’s bnf doing it which is the big gold standard.

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Each award has its quirks.

Coaches may rate player games according to different standards.

Players might not watch games enough but still have a vote.

At the end of the day though they are both prestigious in themselves.

Bont has won something Cripps would trade everything else for however, and been the club’s bnf doing it which is the big gold standard.

All awards have their quirks. Media awards are voted on by blokes that sometimes spend their time at the bar and check the stats at the end to decide who’s best or just pick the gun who’s having a good run. SUNDAY Footy Show usually gives votes to whoever’s the guest and the “out of 10 votes” awards can be influenced by different judges who always give 9s and others who only give 7s and 8s. Some years a player absolutely dominated so it doesn’t matter, he won them all but this year has a large group of players who have all played brilliantly so every award could go to anyone.

Bont - the player I reckon coaches notice the other stuff he does that media doesn’t. Also rewards consistency as often more than 5 players get votes. Bont scores in 16 games but not always as best 3
Cripps - the players’ player who is incredibly popular (and incredibly good)
??? - the one that stands out enough for umpires to notice during a busy day at work. Usually a good choice but an occasional Priddis/Woewodin pops up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing about it though is the player’s mvp’s eligibility criteria takes away from it.

I mean, Dangerfield could have won the coaches award, could win the Brownlow but not even be nominated for the mvp?

Should just make it open slather.

Back