Oppo Camp Non Eagles AFL discussion thread III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incidentally guess who the top 2 players this year were for free kick's received?

Michael Walters 50
Nat Fyfe 49

We really need to have a word to Margetts, he's not doing his job properly :mad:

Shoutout to Oscar Allen, somehow our leading free getter in 2019. 38 frees for, 13th most in the comp.

Incidentally guess who the top 2 players this year were for free kick's received?

Michael Walters 50
Nat Fyfe 49

We really need to have a word to Margetts, he's not doing his job properly :mad:
Fyfe is fair enough, always has players holding him.

Not sure Walters even deserves half of those frees tbh. Worst stager in the comp. Great player though.

Victorians fans shocked at airfare price rises for AFL finals:

Pretty much speaks for itself I think.
pbo.PNG

They should try moving to where I've just moved to.

That's a pretty standard price for an hour and a half flight, one way.

View attachment 736146

They should try moving to where I've just moved to.

That's a pretty standard price for an hour and a half flight, one way.

I'll give you some inside gossip.

That plane most likely to do that run is a Fokker 100.

The company that made them went bankrupt 20 years ago. Qantas bought a fleet of them cheap from Alliance Airlines for 4 mil each. To put that in perspective 717 (another plane that sometimes does these runs) costs at least 50 million. These Fokker's paid back their purchase cost in a couple of months and since then its been all profits for years. They are only halfway through their service life.

~100 passenger capacity, 3 trips a day. 900 (rough ticket cost) x 100 (passengers) x 2 (both ways) x 3 flights a day = up to 540k gross A DAY for a plane that cost 4 mil and has already been depreciated to $0.

Qantas adores those planes because they make an absolute killing on them.

Unfortunately both planes (Fokker and 717) are no longer in production and the replacement for them is an Airbus 220 which costs 120-130 million.

So once these planes go out of service (15-20 years or so) expect prices to skyrocket.

Last edited:

The company that made them went bankrupt 20 years ago. Qantas bought a fleet of them cheap from Alliance Airlines for 4 mil each. To put that in perspective 717 (another plane that sometimes does these runs) costs at least 50 million. These Fokker's paid back their purchase cost in a couple of months and since then its been all profits for years. They are only halfway through their service life.

~100 passenger capacity, 3 trips a day. 900 (rough ticket cost) x 100 (passengers) x 2 (both ways) x 3 flights a day = up to 540k gross A DAY for a plane that cost 4 mil and has already been depreciated to $0.

Unfortunately both planes (Fokker and 717) are no longer in production and the replacement for them is an Airbus 220 which costs 120-130 million.

So once these planes go out of service (15-20 years or so) expect prices to skyrocket.
Do quite a few mine runs the old Fokker

Do quite a few mine runs the old Fokker

I’m going to be boarding one tomorrow

Investing in some decent noise cancelling headphones has been my best ever purchase. Listening to the drone of the engines on those small planes is like nails on a chalk board.

Investing in some decent noise cancelling headphones has been my best ever purchase. Listening to the drone of the engines on those small planes is like nails on a chalk board.

Noisy yes but the safest plane in the Qantas fleet. They baby these planes like you wouldn't believe. Makes sense due to crazy amount of money they make.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Virgin have started running them on their Perth-Adelaide route, bloody joke between two major cities.

Hawks are in trouble now. Their team finished mid table but there's nothing in their squad that suggests they will jump up a level.

Some of the young guys might get better but the older guys will decline. Mitchell back isn't going to make much difference, he's not an explosive game changer and their midfield is already solid. Patton could help but his lack of agility may also hurt given he cant apply forward pressure.

They could easily be stuck mid table for several more years, a bit like North were under Scott.

Hope you arent trying to imply there is little difference between Clarko & B.Scott.

Careful not to get our situation confused with the Cats' one. The AFL caving on this issue won't make our lot any fairer, it would just help the Cats, ie. give Scott exactly what he wants. Oh what a great guy, bringing up the unfairness of the MCG contract, the fact that he played for Brisbane etc (fully irrelevent, what he is campaigning for is to actually screw Brisbane). It's just a side show bringing up something that won't be changed so that he can get something changed that would benefit him and his team only.

In my view, if the MCG grand final contract is staying in place (it is), then so can this other seemingly "unfair" finals arrangement. And how unfair is it? There is a much bigger, better, and world class stadium just up the road. If it would give them better odds of winning, a coach would choose to play an entire game in private and then have the result announced later. The AFL are saving the coaches from themselves in this situation. And AT LEAST their reasoning is in line with the BS reasoning of the GF arrangement. You can be cynical and say it's about money, or just take it at face value like I do, and look at it from the fans' point of view.

Finals are the biggest games and the games that everyone remembers, and you can fit more fans in at the MCG/Etihad. That's all it comes down to. Both Scott and Geelong fans themselves are perfectly fine with locking out a few thousand Geelong fans out from attending a final in Geelong due to capacity, because it would give them a greater chance to win. And that's why it's not up to them. The competition isn't fair, so forgive me for not jumping at the idea of making it more "fair" for another VFL team. Would do nothing for us other than to make our deal look even worse.

That is the argument run by Victoria & you have bought it hook, line & sinker. The far queue for you.

Scott is making Victorians uncomfortable, forcing them to address what is a home final, is the venue or the State?

You may have also bought the MCG GF deal stitched up behind closed doors, I havent. We have seen the 1990s final series result in home finals, we have seen the Pies move from Vic Park to the G open up home prelims. The MCG deal is unfair for the comp.

The fixturing issue for Victorian clubs is far more complex than WA, they've got home games at the G, Docklands, Geelong, Ballarat, Tassie (Hobart & Launceston), Alice Springs & North Q - did I miss any?

Its way more than just one club. IF the finals system is to change the Geelong stand by Scott is a plus not a negative.

Adem Yze played 271 games. Who pushed him out of jumper number 22 for 15 games or more?

Yeah got the feeling the stat is wrong. The only Z named players at Melbourne last played in 1986 and none at all in 2009 respectively.

Tweet them the correction.

Borr drilling did something similar. Bought a fleet of jack up drilling rigs for a 10th of the sale price as many rig contractrs cancelled their orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back