Proposed new Hobart stadium - Macquarie Point

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
I noticed in the Age article about the Tasmanian application for a provisional AFL license - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-provisional-afl-licence-20190823-p52k4n.html
"... There is strong support for the establishment of a new stadium and training facility at Macquarie Point ..."
Bellevire Oval is in a terrible location (a really dumb choice to develop as a major stadium). In complete contrast, Macquarie Point is presently an industrial waterside area smack bang right next to the city centre and would be a brilliant location for a new stadium and transform the Hobart city centre and waterside. It would be great for 'footy tourists'.

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I noticed in the Age article about the Tasmanian application for a provisional AFL license - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-provisional-afl-licence-20190823-p52k4n.html
"... There is strong support for the establishment of a new stadium and training facility at Macquarie Point ..."
Bellevire Oval is in a terrible location (a really dumb choice to develop as a major stadium). In complete contrast, Macquarie Point is presently an industrial waterside area smack bang right next to the city centre and would be a brilliant location for a new stadium and transform the Hobart city centre and waterside. It would be great for 'footy tourists'.
Won't happen due to inner-city politics.

We are stuck with boot park sadly.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
NIMBY, very powerful.

That's the thing though, it's in nobody's backyard. It's wedged between the CBD and the river. Not near any residents.

I can understand opposition on financial grounds - this ground will in theory host maybe a dozen major events a year (if an AFL club is approved). Given it's likely to cost something in the vicinity of $150-200m (assuming a cheap 25k seater), that's a hell of a lot for not such a big return.

But outside of that I can't think of one reasonable objection. Or even an unreasonable one.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
On what grounds? It's not like they're clearing a heap of forest, that area is currently a wasteland.

We have a housing crisis and terrible traffic flow because the city is sprawling out yet they reject high density developments in the CBD because they look bad and ruin the vibe. You reckon they are going to like a new big ugly stadium with massive light towers on the shoreline of the Derwent.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
We have a housing crisis and terrible traffic flow because the city is sprawling out yet they reject high density developments in the CBD because they look bad and ruin the vibe. You reckon they are going to like a new big ugly stadium with massive light towers on the shoreline of the Derwent.

I didn't think of that. I guess it never really occurred to me that anyone would actually want the vibe of 'dying country town' in their capital city's CBD.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I notice the proposal is for both a stadium and a training facility. Is the site even big enough for two ovals, plus all the other stuff they want to put in? Surely it would make sense to train somewhere else, like KGV, TCA, a downsized Bellerive or some new site like the area around Cascade Brewery.

Hobart would be the furthest left city in the country. It would never be approved. Look at the current fuss over high density developments. Greens would shoot it down.
Can you specifically point to what the Greens have an issue with and how it will preclude a stadium? Because they're not opposed to all high density. Their own policies state:
We will establish a new Statutory Authority to work with Housing Tasmania in co-ordinating public housing and incentivising sustainable, high density private housing developments in strategic urban areas called Plan Tasmania.
From what I can see, their specific issue is with the height limit being increased to 60m for towers. A stadium is a lot lower than 60m, save for the lights, which are not very wide.

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hobart would be the furthest left city in the country. It would never be approved. Look at the current fuss over high density developments. Greens would shoot it down.
So long as the new stadium has overall majority popular support across the total metro area of Hobart (as opposed to just the inner suburban greenies), then State Gov't approval, given its involvement in the bid, ought not be a problem.

One of the conditions imposed for an AFL license should be that the proposed Macquarie Point stadium (right next to the CBD on the waterfront) is approved and built. This would transform the Hobart AFL experience (and be used to attract other sporting events). Given the State Gov't involvement in the bid, and also the Federal Gov't Senate inquiry of a few years back calling for the establishment of a Tasmanian AFL team, there shouldn't be major trouble in getting joint State/Federal Gov't money for the new stadium.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That's the thing though, it's in nobody's backyard. It's wedged between the CBD and the river. Not near any residents.

I can understand opposition on financial grounds - this ground will in theory host maybe a dozen major events a year (if an AFL club is approved). Given it's likely to cost something in the vicinity of $150-200m (assuming a cheap 25k seater), that's a hell of a lot for not such a big return.

But outside of that I can't think of one reasonable objection. Or even an unreasonable one.
It could also host concerts

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
You reckon they are going to like a new big ugly stadium with massive light towers on the shoreline of the Derwent.

No. So hopefully they are going to build a new big beautiful stadium that complements the city and has lighting that is inbuilt to the stadium like the new stadium in Perth. The new Perth Stadium is a great promotion for Perth being at on the river at the Eastern gateway.
Also the new Perth Stadium host a variety of events not just AFL. You have AFL, AFLW, WAFL GF, cricket, concerts, RU and RL.
I'd imagine something similar would occur for Hobart. Maybe even more so because of the lower capacity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Don't forget Perth and Adelaide host 2 AFL teams, plus they host BBL, test and ODI cricket.

If Tassie gets one AFL team that halves potential AFL revenue, then they'd have to persuade cricket to leave Bellrieve and move to the new stadium too. Lots of opportunity for petty politics there.

Also, the Tassie government is perpetually broke, so they won't have the money to build it alone like the WA government did. They would need Federal money or a private development. Tassie's track record on private development is abysmal, they can't seem to do anything in private developments without it involving corruption or becoming mired in petty politics.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't forget Perth and Adelaide host 2 AFL teams, plus they host BBL, test and ODI cricket.

Don't forget that Hobart could build a new stadium for a fraction of the $2 billion it cost to build the new Perth stadium.
Remember cricket squealed that they wanted no part of a new stadium and then were the first to put up their hand to play there.
Cricket in Perth cost W.A. taxpayers $1 billion.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
The new Perth Stadium was built against the established wishes and views of Perth people.

I dunno, after all the faffing around I think there was a pretty strong "just build the ******* thing" vibe around.

Perth isn't what it was 20 years ago when it was dominated by BANANAs.

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The stadium proposed is said to be an indoor stadium, so no light towers or anything like that. Theres no way it fits a training facility also but it makes sense if they want to attract players to have the training facility right in the heart of the city

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
it makes sense if they want to attract players to have the training facility right in the heart of the city
Why? This isn't Melbourne where it takes significant time to get from the city to the outskirts. Does it make that much difference driving 10 minutes to get to TCA or Bellerive or South Hobart?

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
front page of mercury today
Ah, thank you. So the suggestion for an indoor stadium has been made by the outgoing Tasmanian Cricket CEO before he returns home to Melbourne. Ambitious. Plenty still to play out before the proposal for Port Macquarie starts to become a reality. The site itself though seems perfect for an AFL capable stadium, be it roofed or just spectators covered.

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
Perth doesnt have the conservatives that populate Inner Hobart. And when I say conservative, i mean they are opposed to any change from there nice little lifestyle. Rant incoming

Even if we(Tas Gov) didnt spend a cent on the stadium, there would be complaints about why this spending on a team rather than "health and education." As mentioned, people will complain about light towers, height limits and how it would ruin the "vibe" of Hobart. It won't even matter to these people that this area is old warehouses and unused previously. It won't matter if the stadium is a piece of art, it will have protesters complaining that little old Inner Hobart has something exciting.

Hobarts mayor is a greenie, like that inner city Melbourne ones. They in it for the power trip rather than managing for the best of the city. They would rather proclaim that there is a climate emergency statement rather than helping fix the issue. They complain about the traffic and housing but it refuses to allow any sort of high-density development. Inner-city Hobart council frustrates me to no end who live in a fantasy world and refuse to actually make any decisions for the good of greater Hobart. The sooner it is merged with another city council, the better Hobart will be. Cause, the people of Inner Hobart keep electing noaners.

IF we get an AFL team, there must be either a long term plan to fix the issues with Blundstone arena or move elsewhere.
Excellent rant! And yeah, I know what you mean by the problem of self-serving, power tripping inner city greenie counsellors, who are universally useless at anything apart from the opportunities to be obstructive if not destructive. And don't get me started on the lemming who votes these loons in!

But in regards to this stadium, surely for an important project of this size, it would be a matter for the State Gov't to make the decisions and the local council would have little say in the matter. And as long as the project has overall statewide (or at least from Greater Hobart Area) popular support, the usual objections from the usual inner city BANANA suspects would be overcome - even more so when the State Gov't and Premier has now come out so publicly in the support of the AFL bid.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Why? This isn't Melbourne where it takes significant time to get from the city to the outskirts. Does it make that much difference driving 10 minutes to get to TCA or Bellerive or South Hobart?
Agreed. Bellerive is one such great training site. Near the beach, along the seaside and near some of the richest places in Hobart (Tranmere).
Excellent rant! And yeah, I know what you mean by the problem of self-serving, power tripping inner city greenie counsellors, who are universally useless at anything apart from the opportunities to be obstructive if not destructive. And don't get me started on the lemming who votes these loons in!

But in regards to this stadium, surely for an important project of this size, it would be a matter for the State Gov't to make the decisions and the local council would have little say in the matter. And as long as the project has overall statewide (or at least from Greater Hobart Area) popular support, the usual objections from the usual inner city BANANA suspects would be overcome - even more so when the State Gov't and Premier has now come out so publicly in the support of the AFL bid.
Yes, the state government could take over if(when) the Hobart City council do their normal songsheet. They have shown a willingness to take on the council on big issues(like the Cable Car). But then perhaps another issue comes up. Some people from the North would hate that money being spent on another "southern" stadium.

But it was touching to see the 3 major newspapers proclaim loyalty.

Back