• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Eddie quietly s**tting himself that if Starc gets a gig, he'll take the wickets of both openers, Denly and the bulk of the tail.

He didn't have a run scored off him until his 24th ball. A new leaf maybe...

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd love Starc to play and chances are if he gets both openers out, they'll have made hundreds so sounds good to me!!!

If Starc started out with 23 dot balls, chances are 20 of them would have been wides in ODI cricket so the openers left them alone!

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
I'd love Starc to play and chances are if he gets both openers out, they'll have made hundreds so sounds good to me!!!

If Starc started out with 23 dot balls, chances are 20 of them would have been wides in ODI cricket so the openers left them alone!
You're a tool mate.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
If they win the Ashes they'll be crowing forever about how they did the World Cup and Ashes in the same year (Australia doing the same in 1999, 2003 and 2007 will be conveniently ignored). For the sake of the rest of the world of cricket, please just win one of these last two bloody test matches, Australia.
Would have done so again in 2015, but the ECB knew their mob couldn't hack a 4 month tour down under so pressed for the 14/15 ashes to move a year earlier and got their way.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
We are always led to believe, South Africa, are the hopeless chockers of international cricket but the real chockers here, are Nathon Lyon and Australia, last week's Headingley Test was the 10th time a Test match has gone down to the wire between England and Australia and Australia have lost them all, Headingley 81, Edgebaston 81, Melbourne 82, The Oval 1997, Headingly 2001, Edgebaston 2005, Trent Bridge 2005, Trent Bridge 2013, and Ben Stokes, Headingley 2019.

I am confused by this statement somewhat. Even if you stick with 1981 onward, there was also the MCG Test of 1998-99 where England won by 12 runs. But there is also the famous 1894-95 Test at Sydney where England won by 10 runs after Australia made 586 and made England follow on. There is also a 12 runs margin from 1928-29 and a 13 runs margin from 1886-87. And the winning margin at Headingley in 2001 of 6 wickets is not really "down to the wire" simply because England achieved a run chase over 300.
Australia have had five winning margins against England of under 30 runs, but none since 1950-51, so Australia have definitely not lost all Tests against England which have gone down to the wire.
Also, it could successfully be argued that Australia won a Test which went down to the wire at Sydney in 1987. They won by 55 runs with only one over remaining, just managing to beat the clock. And the famous Australian victory in the Test at Adelaide in 2006 was certainly another race against time.

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
Surprise, surprise, Fox Sports going crazy about Starc on the back of 3 tail end wickets in a tour game...

He bowled a 7 over spell at the start, the first two of which the Derbyshire batsman were very tentative towards him, leaving as many as they could and blocking the rest. After Neser picked up two in quick succession in his second over they went even more into their shell apart from the South African Leus du Plooy who looked impressive.

After bowling his first spell, Khawaja inexplicably didn't bowl Starc again until the 37th over when the top order were no longer around.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
He bowled a 7 over spell at the start, the first two of which the Derbyshire batsman were very tentative towards him, leaving as many as they could and blocking the rest. After Neser picked up two in quick succession in his second over they went even more into their shell apart from the South African Leus du Plooy who looked impressive.

After bowling his first spell, Khawaja inexplicably didn't bowl him again until the 37th over when the top order were no longer around.

So you’re admitting what we’ve always known, Starcs only way to get wickets is because batsmen enjoy smashing his Pies that eventually they get it wrong? Not a great bowler if he can’t get wickets if the batsman aren’t attacking him.

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
So you’re admitting what we’ve always known, Starcs only way to get wickets is because batsmen enjoy smashing his Pies that eventually they get it wrong? Not a great bowler if he can’t get wickets if the batsman aren’t attacking him.

English must be your second language. I said they blocked and left him. No pies to smash. 'Eventually get it wrong' - DMML. The two he got out clean bowled both scored ducks. One was a golden. Have you ever considered a career in comedy?

What's changed your tune on Starc? In December you said this ......

Lyon and Starc should be ahead of Cummins

A couple of years before that when someone asked what was our best bowling attack you named him first. :arrowright: #1,656

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
English must be your second language. I said they blocked and left him. No pies to smash.

Well I did do ESL back at school...

But you’re using the excuse that Starc didn’t get wickets because the batsman played him safely, surely if he was even as half as good as you claim he can get out batsmen who aren’t playing shots? If not, it just proves the point that he only gets wickets when batsmen are trying to smash his Pies...

Peter Siddle gets wickets by building pressure, Starc gets them by bowling Pies, nice to agree on something

A couple of years before that when someone asked what was our best bowling attack you named him first. :arrowright: #1,656

Umm, that quote is talking about the batting order...

As for the other post, the series was in Australia, not England and hell John Hastings and George Bailey were still playing for Australia in those days, can you not accept that players are better suited to different conditions and some do get worse with age?

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
Marsh at 3, are they really going to bring him in for Wade? If that happens we may as well give him the captaincy as well to complete the farce.

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
But you’re using the excuse that Starc didn’t get wickets because the batsman played him safely, surely if he was even as half as good as you claim he can get out batsmen who aren’t playing shots?

'As half as good as you claim'. What?? All I've ever done is defend him against the naysayers and jaundiced perspectives of one-eyed commentators like yourself. I think he should've played at least one Test by now this series but I don't think he's Superman. In 2011 and 2012 I would've been more critical of him than you are.

In this innings he DID get out batsman who weren't playing shots. Clean bowled, for a duck.

Peter Siddle gets wickets by building pressure, Starc gets them by bowling Pies, nice to agree on something

In this match it was the pressure Starc built in his first two overs (maidens) that probably enabled Neser to get his first two wickets.

As for the other post, the series was in Australia, not England .....

So what you're saying is that Starc only bowls pies in England?

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
English must be your second language. I said they blocked and left him. No pies to smash. 'Eventually get it wrong' - DMML. The two he got out clean bowled both scored ducks. One was a golden. Have you ever considered a career in comedy?

Lol Eddie and his bullshit has been caught out

Looks like I was right, Eddie is shitting himself at thought of Starc getting a gig.

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
In this match it was the pressure Starc built in his first two overs (maidens) that probably enabled Neser to get his first two wickets.

You do some very odd mental gymnastics to make Starc look better then he is.

Regardless of that even if Starc was a superstar bowler in the best form of his life, his selection or non selection probably isn't going to make a difference, we already have great bowlers.

It's just going to come down to the batsman. If we can make 350 in the first innings of a Test without too much rain around I think we retain the Ashes then and there. With Khawaja scoring runs here I think we'll drop Wade, keep Harris and then it just comes down to whether we want Lab at 3 or 5.

Back