2019 3rd Ashes Test 22-27 August Headingley

Who will win the 3rd test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You do some very odd mental gymnastics to make Starc look better then he is.

Not half as odd as the mental plyometrics some here do to make him look worse than he is.

Regardless of that even if Starc was a superstar bowler in the best form of his life, his selection or non selection probably isn't going to make a difference, we already have great bowlers.

Great bowlers, but they don't always bowl great. Last innings of the last match is a great example. When you can't stop a 73 run final wicket stand, that's not great bowling. Yes, technically they did stop it and the umpire frustrated us but it should never have got that close.

If we can make 350 in the first innings of a Test without too much rain around I think we retain the Ashes then and there. With Khawaja scoring runs here I think we'll drop Wade, keep Harris and then it just comes down to whether we want Lab at 3 or 5.

Funnily enough I'm inclined to agree with you here.

Last edited:

Mitch Marsh closing on a 50.

Odd that every time he has batted at 3, he scored a 39*. Hmmm lol

You do some very odd mental gymnastics to make Starc look better then he is.

Regardless of that even if Starc was a superstar bowler in the best form of his life, his selection or non selection probably isn't going to make a difference, we already have great bowlers.

It's just going to come down to the batsman. If we can make 350 in the first innings of a Test without too much rain around I think we retain the Ashes then and there. With Khawaja scoring runs here I think we'll drop Wade, keep Harris and then it just comes down to whether we want Lab at 3 or 5.

Starc certainly strengthens our batting lineup too with 9 x test 50s. Or is his batting going to be dismissed as irrelevant also?

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Smith is batting tremendously against Derbyshire, already played that flamingo shot through mid wicket that he does when he's in form. I'm tipping a double century from him in this innings.

Legit if Mitch Marsh scores a ton here. What the hell will happen?

Legit if Mitch Marsh scores a ton here. What the hell will happen?

I was just about to ask that. Will probably have to omit Wade to make way for Marsh. Paine deserves to dropped more but they won't do it because he's captain.

Starc certainly strengthens our batting lineup too with 9 x test 50s. Or is his batting going to be dismissed as irrelevant also?

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Handy for a bowler, but his batting went down hill a few years ago and he's really just a reasonable slogger.

I'd have both Cummins/Pattinson ahead of him with the bat in Tests so at best he's batting at 9/10 which shouldn't really factor into selection.

Nothing, he scored multiple tons on our last tour here as well and it didn't transfer to anything productive in the Tests.

So what you really mean is that we slot in Mitch Marsh at 3 in the Ashes. I like your thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marsh 74.

No. 3 spot in the Ashes here we come.

Last edited:
Unless they’d already decided to drop Wade, I don’t see why Marsh is batting at three.

Funny you saying that as I was just saying the same thing. Wade hasn't really justified his position as a batsman in this series, so one thought was replace Ussie with Marsh, Smith at 4 and Lambshanks at 5.

I'm not sure that Marsh has justified his selection but he has batted better than Ussie in this game

England management always mismanage injured players and ruin them.
Wood had years of injury nightmares and Roland-Jones got rushed back too quick. Flintoff had his career cut short.
I have had a calf injury in the past and its a tricky muscle to heal.

Back