Proposed new Hobart stadium - Macquarie Point

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Excellent rant! And yeah, I know what you mean by the problem of self-serving, power tripping inner city greenie counsellors, who are universally useless at anything apart from the opportunities to be obstructive if not destructive. And don't get me started on the lemming who votes these loons in!

I vote Greens, watch footy, supported the building of Perth stadium and support the push for a Tassie team. Don't lump everybody into your narrow outlook.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Why? This isn't Melbourne where it takes significant time to get from the city to the outskirts. Does it make that much difference driving 10 minutes to get to TCA or Bellerive or South Hobart?
Macquaire point is like Melbourne's docklands 20 years ago. Prime for redevelopment a massive anchor tenant.

Look at the difference in crowds between Football Park and Adelaide Oval for the difference Bellreive and MP oval would make. Closer to the CBD means better PT access from all parts of the city, better hospitality and accommodation facilities near by. The economic benefit to Hobart's CBD would be massive in comparison.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Macquaire point is like Melbourne's docklands 20 years ago. Prime for redevelopment a massive anchor tenant.

Look at the difference in crowds between Football Park and Adelaide Oval for the difference Bellreive and MP oval would make. Closer to the CBD means better PT access from all parts of the city, better hospitality and accommodation facilities near by. The economic benefit to Hobart's CBD would be massive in comparison.
I'm sure all you say is true. But the context that my comment was in, was in reference to someone suggesting putting the training facility at Macquarie Point also would be a drawcard for players. That's what I'm questioning, not the stadium itself. Docklands doesn't have any club training facilities either.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm sure all you say is true. But the context that my comment was in, was in reference to someone suggesting putting the training facility at Macquarie Point also would be a drawcard for players. That's what I'm questioning, not the stadium itself. Docklands doesn't have any club training facilities either.
Must have misunderstood. Thought you were discussing the merits of a CBD based stadium.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

It's a bit different because Hobart's PT system consists of a few buses and that's it. You can run buses to anywhere. Adelaide actually has a suburban rail network (albeit a bit of a s**t one, but it's still capable of moving a lot of people in and out quickly).
That's not to say it wouldn't provide a significant benefit to the CBD and Hobart as a whole - as you say, being in close proximity to accommodation and bars/restaurants is a big selling point to visitors. No-one wants to stay in the city and have to get a bus out to the suburbs. The economic benefits to the CBD itself also come from getting 20k or so people in, a lot of whom would spend a few hours before/after in CBD establishments. The other thing is that such a project can change people's outlook - they can go from being BANANAs to thinking 'hey maybe there's some benefit to this development stuff'. Not everyone of course, but you can shift a big chunk of the population.
I know because i've seen it in Perth. There's been a big shift in thinking that's come from the government undertaking significant infrastructure projects like the Airport link, Elizabeth quay and of course the new stadium. The haters come out before it's even built, but as soon as they're up and going you never hear anything but positive comments. Rarely do you hear "Gee, they really should never have built that" about any bit of major infrastructure once it's completed. It just requires a government with a bit of balls.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was replying to stadiums are for attendances rather than player training.
Perhaps next time if you read the full sentence instead of cutting out part of it to meet your need to be right, you won't look foolish.

BF is not a place for massaging insecure peoples feelings.
It's not a place for people who are incapable of reading, either.

Apr 6, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Subiaco, Everton, SF 49ers
Don't forget Perth and Adelaide host 2 AFL teams, plus they host BBL, test and ODI cricket.

If Tassie gets one AFL team that halves potential AFL revenue, then they'd have to persuade cricket to leave Bellrieve and move to the new stadium too. Lots of opportunity for petty politics there.

Also, the Tassie government is perpetually broke, so they won't have the money to build it alone like the WA government did. They would need Federal money or a private development. Tassie's track record on private development is abysmal, they can't seem to do anything in private developments without it involving corruption or becoming mired in petty politics.
Bit harsh singling out the Tassie government for corruption in carrying out major projects! On another point, given there would normally be only one game a fortnight, would it really be necessary to have a separate training oval.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Bit harsh singling out the Tassie government for corruption in carrying out major projects! On another point, given there would normally be only one game a fortnight, would it really be necessary to have a separate training oval.
One game a month if games split between hobart and launceston

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

Presumably it would host cricket as well, which would mean that the club would have to find somewhere else to train during cricket season. And if they're going to have a training venue in summer, they may as well fit it out for the whole year.

The Suns and Geelong get away with it because Metricon and KP doesn't host cricket (much of it anyway) and there's a 2nd oval next door. Looking at Macquarie point, there probably isn't the room for a 2nd oval.

J866

Rookie
Sep 13, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's a bit different because Hobart's PT system consists of a few buses and that's it. You can run buses to anywhere. Adelaide actually has a suburban rail network (albeit a bit of a s**t one, but it's still capable of moving a lot of people in and out quickly).
That's not to say it wouldn't provide a significant benefit to the CBD and Hobart as a whole - as you say, being in close proximity to accommodation and bars/restaurants is a big selling point to visitors. No-one wants to stay in the city and have to get a bus out to the suburbs. The economic benefits to the CBD itself also come from getting 20k or so people in, a lot of whom would spend a few hours before/after in CBD establishments. The other thing is that such a project can change people's outlook - they can go from being BANANAs to thinking 'hey maybe there's some benefit to this development stuff'. Not everyone of course, but you can shift a big chunk of the population.
I know because i've seen it in Perth. There's been a big shift in thinking that's come from the government undertaking significant infrastructure projects like the Airport link, Elizabeth quay and of course the new stadium. The haters come out before it's even built, but as soon as they're up and going you never hear anything but positive comments. Rarely do you hear "Gee, they really should never have built that" about any bit of major infrastructure once it's completed. It just requires a government with a bit of balls.
The Macquarie Point location would be ideal... the addition of the light rail proposal for the Northern suburbs of Hobart and the ability to change lanes on the Tasman bridge for the Eastern Shore ( 3 lanes out of the city for example), with the addition of utilising the Domain for Parking plus ferries on the River after the games sure would beat the congestion of Bellerive

thegreig

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2010
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars BBL
Artists impression
C9D05A96-F533-472E-97D4-4EFB8C1B18EF.jpeg

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
The thing about this is that, regardless of what it cost, it would also require a major redesign of the roads. I haven't been to Hobart for about 5-6 years, but spent a lot of time there growing up and for all the congestion in places like Melbourne and Sydney - that ******* roundabout outside the ABC building is among the worst pieces of road in Australia.

Unless you don't put any parking in at all, which is unrealistic in a place like Tassie due to it's rubbish public transport reliant buses with limited routes that people don't want to catch.

I like the idea - I doubt Macquarie Point is the right location though.

The thing about this is that, regardless of what it cost, it would also require a major redesign of the roads. I haven't been to Hobart for about 5-6 years, but spent a lot of time there growing up and for all the congestion in places like Melbourne and Sydney - that ******* roundabout outside the ABC building is among the worst pieces of road in Australia.

Unless you don't put any parking in at all, which is unrealistic in a place like Tassie due to it's rubbish public transport reliant buses with limited routes that people don't want to catch.

agree re the traffic

plus imagine the *en wind off the water

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Sounds like they need the light rail badly, and in more places than the proposal on the table. The inability to get even one line built doesn't say a lot for Tassie's ability to get their act together.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
The Hobart Examiner put in a good editorial today that re-enforces the general opposition to the idea. It argues that spending up to half a billion on a new AFL/Cricket stadium in a state which is struggling to meet its health bills is ludicrous. The article suggests that perhaps spending considerably less to perhaps build a new grand stand at either the UTAS Stadium or Blundstone Arena coupled with a new multi-story carpark would acheive the same end for a fraction of the money, particularly if Tassy wants to seriously state its case for its own AFL Licence.

https://www.examiner.com.au/story/6454239/new-hobart-stadium-idea-flawed/

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
The Hobart Examiner put in a good editorial today that re-enforces the general opposition to the idea. It argues that spending up to half a billion on a new AFL/Cricket stadium in a state which is struggling to meet its health bills is ludicrous. The article suggests that perhaps spending considerably less to perhaps build a new grand stand at either the UTAS Stadium or Blundstone Arena coupled with a new multi-story carpark would acheive the same end for a fraction of the money, particularly if Tassy wants to seriously state its case for its own AFL Licence.

https://www.examiner.com.au/story/6454239/new-hobart-stadium-idea-flawed/

It's the Launceston Examiner, which should tell you a bit about why they've taken this position.

Unfortunately this kind of bullshit only reinforces the crap reasons we're given for not having a Tassie team.

thegreig

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2010
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars BBL
I honestly believe the only way this team can work successfully is if a new a new stadium with around 30k captain is built in Hobart near the CBD that’s easily accessible for everyone by car and public transport, they can still play 3-4 games a year at York Park but they have to make Hobart the teams true headquarters.

The next best solution would be a full revamp of York Park with all games being played there, but I have serious doubts that the club would be able to retain players if they’re based in Launceston (personally love the place but it’s not ideal for your average AFL player).

I can’t see playing 50/50 out of a slightly improved York Park and Bellerive Oval working if the club wants to truly be competitive and respected.

Back