Player Watch Jarrod Witts (Traded to GCS 2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

In the end they just both had too much potential as #1 rucks to keep them both, and it would be a consensus that we kept the right one

This :thumbsu:

The only regret is that we didn’t get more for him ...

... and we didn’t need the benefit of hindsight to know that.

If one of Witts or Grundy could play as a decent forward both would be with us.

Grundy is clearly the better player so we made the right choice but everyone knew we should’ve got more for him. GC got something like pick 13 for Hickey, we paid pick 14 for Cam Wood.

I couldn’t believe we didn’t get one of GC’s mid 20 picks for him.

If one of Witts or Grundy could play as a decent forward both would be with us.

Grundy is clearly the better player so we made the right choice but everyone knew we should’ve got more for him. GC got something like pick 13 for Hickey, we paid pick 14 for Cam Wood.

I couldn’t believe we didn’t get one of GC’s mid 20 picks for him.

Especially since he’s captain now!

None of us has a crystal ball, time waits for no one and he had been on the list for some time without realizing his true potential. At times you have to pull the plug and say enough.

No one can say before hand that it's the right or wrong call but players can't be left on the list perpetually on 'potential'.
This is revisionist at best. Anyone who’d paid attention the year he was traded knew that:
1. He’d made it in to the round 1 side ahead of Grundy on the back of excellent preseason form.
2. When he returned from his injury in the VFL he showed form that would have gotten him a starting ruck position at 10+ AFL clubs.
3. The only reason he couldn’t get a game with us was because Grundy had started to become a midfielder in addition to being a ruckman.

He was unfortunate to have his breakout year stuck in the VFL because of Grundy, and we were unlucky that Eade was seemingly the only person in clubland who’d actually paid attention to the lower levels. We most certainly didn’t ‘cut him loose’. The way you describe him is more worthy of being a description of Corey Gault.

Especially since he’s captain now!
Brodie has always rejected captaincy talk so there is no loss of value there.

Both players have always been first rucks - each playing much better with the other out of the side so a choice was necessary.

A choice was necessary and as Brodie was by far the better player around the ground it was a no brainer.

We need to stop second guessing decisions the club has made with after the fact wisdom.

Brodie was our choice.

Witts needed to leave to further his career.

We acceded to helping him find another situation.

The entire competition knew the club and Wittsy's situation so of course GCS played hardball.

Any club would do in their situation.

It was fairly obvious to most that unfortunately we had managed to recruit and develop two 1st rucks so we were always going to lose one of them at some stage. Good to see Witts doing so well but luckily for us, Grundy is doing arguably even better.

It was fairly obvious to most that unfortunately we had managed to recruit and develop two 1st rucks so we were always going to lose one of them at some stage. Good to see Witts doing so well but luckily for us, Grundy is doing arguably even better.
I wouldn't use the term "arguably".

Maybe undoubtedly...

Grundy is a generational player. Witts is a very good ruck man.

Maybe undoubtedly...

Still hoping Grundy pulls off the combo.

AA, leading into Brownlow, leading into Premiership/Norm Smith. One can dream.

It’s even more annoying that he should’ve been part of the Treloar trade. Could’ve been pick 7 and Witts for Treloar and we would’ve had pick 8 the following year

It’s even more annoying that he should’ve been part of the Treloar trade. Could’ve been pick 7 and Witts for Treloar and we would’ve had pick 8 the following year
Stop being wise after the event, that way lies madness.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

It is what it is, stop beating yourself up with scenarios.

Witts was always the better tap ruckman, whereas Grundy had his measure around the ground and won the #1 battle by taking his chance after Witts got injured. I think Cox's tap work could be better than both.

Stop being wise after the event, that way lies madness.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

It is what it is, stop beating yourself up with scenarios.
Nothing about his statement is being wise after the event. The club literally had worked out a deal with GWS to have Witts as a part of the Treloar trade but Witts scuttled it and backed himself in to make it at Collingwood. He’d be the first ruck at GWS now if he’d accepted the trade offer back then.

Brodie has always rejected captaincy talk so there is no loss of value there.

Both players have always been first rucks - each playing much better with the other out of the side so a choice was necessary.

A choice was necessary and as Brodie was by far the better player around the ground it was a no brainer.

We need to stop second guessing decisions the club has made with after the fact wisdom.

Brodie was our choice.

Witts needed to leave to further his career.

We acceded to helping him find another situation.

The entire competition knew the club and Wittsy's situation so of course GCS played hardball.

Any club would do in their situation.

I thought second guessing was what this board was all about! I've been sorely misled by the thousands of second guessers on here!

Hot damn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing about his statement is being wise after the event. The club literally had worked out a deal with GWS to have Witts as a part of the Treloar trade but Witts scuttled it and backed himself in to make it at Collingwood. He’d be the first ruck at GWS now if he’d accepted the trade offer back then.
I liked that Witts backed himself in. That he was our number ruck over the following preseason and into round 1 shows he was right to have that confidence. We'll never know due to that finger injury, but I suspect Grundy would have eventually surpassed him at Collingwood albeit it may have taken another year or two.

I thought that it was Witts who wad looking for a clear opportunity to be the number one ruck, not that we were actively pushing him out the door(?)
Wouldn't think too many would be shocked by his further development, he was a superior tap ruck to Grundy at the time and has the physical tools. Grundy was better around the ground and below his knees.
Great to see Witts doing so well, will always have a soft spot for him. Real leader up there, too.

Maybe undoubtedly...

Grundy is Clearly better then Witts.

Don't tell Maggie5 that though ;)

All I can say is that if he won the B&f it doesn't say much for the GCS, he was horrible when he played for us, sometimes people have short memories

Good on him. He's become a terrific ruckman.
Gubby gubby gubby what drugs were you on in that period?

Wasn't aimed at you Finnish, those it was aimed at are very well aware of what they do.

Oh, I agree with you there.

I mean, I was one of those who rated Witts before he left, and could guess what we would lose -- but understood why the club made the decision and it was the right one (even if it'd have been good getting a better trade).

I suspect those with perfect hindsight were probably denouncing Witts as a spud at the time.

Either way, there's not much balance -- ah, balance, it is such a hard thing to learn... :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back