Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Been thinking about this post a bit

For me, the reason I moved Deadlifts to Pull Day is not so much because it’s a primarily back movement rather than leg movement but because after a decent amount of squatting and deadlifting (in either order) I don’t have much left in the tank for any isolation work on quads, glutes or hamstrings. Only changed it up a month or so ago so haven’t seen much improvement outside of my front squat numbers on leg day going up a bit bit I’ve been enjoying the variety nonetheless.

Not saying my way is right or anything just some food for thought.
Ditto, I struggle with both in the same workout.

I'll squat then SLDL (higher rep) on the same day, but squats then regular deads leaves me absolutely gassed after those two exercises.

My legs hurt just reading this :( will give it a try but with lighter weights next week.

When I want serious DOMS I triple superset squats (or leg press) into weighted walking lunges into 10 squat jumps. The squat jumps are pure agony to finish the set off, and I was told helped spread the load to "fast twitch muscle fibres" (quite likely bro science, but hey).
I don't do any lunges or single leg related stuff, but when i do, its a sure fire way to DOMS Central

It’s been interesting reading more recent studies on spine kinematics during squats/deads.
Basically they’ve consistently shown that to squat below parallel or deadlift from the floor it is impossible to do so without flexing your low back.
Essentially the whole “neutral spine” thing is a myth and everybody actually lifts with a rounded back even if to the casual observer it doesn’t look like it.
I haven’t found a decent review and/or infographic but if I come across one I’ll post it (as opposed to spamming all the single studies).

It’s been interesting reading more recent studies on spine kinematics during squats/deads.
Basically they’ve consistently shown that to squat below parallel or deadlift from the floor it is impossible to do so without flexing your low back.
Essentially the whole “neutral spine” thing is a myth and everybody actually lifts with a rounded back even if to the casual observer it doesn’t look like it.
I haven’t found a decent review and/or infographic but if I come across one I’ll post it (as opposed to spamming all the single studies).
Interesting.

Although I have knee tendinitis I manage as an ongoing issue and I simply have to go below parallel on my squat. Even if I just box squat to parallel hurt like hell the next day. It's counter-intuitive but I need full ROM on leg exercises.

Footy and uni have conveniently wrapped up within a week of each other so I can be more consistent with my weight training (legitimately only done a single session in the past month).
First goal is to regain a bit of mass so I’m doing more of a BBing program over my usual Westside powerlifting template. I’ve set up my accessories similar to this in the past and had success so extending it out into a standalone program.
Monday - DB row, T-bar row, pull ups, shrugs, upper back extensions and neck extensions
Wednesday - DB bench press, BB bench press, push ups, front raises, side raises, rear delt raises
Friday - hamstring curls, split squats, sissy squats, adductor side bridges, good mornings and glute bridges
Saturday - bicep curls, JM press, hammer curls, elbows out tricep extensions, reverse curls, pressdowns, leg raises and neck flexions
Will start with 1-2 sets of each exercise and build up to 4-5 before Xmas.
Will vary angles/variations every 2-3 weeks eg might do decline DB press, then flat DB press, then incline DB press.
Might swap out a bicep curl variation for close grip pull ups depending on how I’m recovering between sessions. JM press I can bastardise into a compound movement to use more weight if so desired.

Back to the gym tonight. My infection is ****ed so i might as well train before i die of sepsis.

Tested my 1RM of front squat this morning, got to 90kg then my elbows started to feel a bit uncomfortable. Pretty sure my legs have got plenty left in the tank but will need to get the upper body adapted to ensure continued progress.
My shoulder is wrecked, so i can't do fronts anymore. Devastated. I can't do traditional fronts as my wrists don't bend back. I might need the straps to try getting it done.

Have resorted to reverse deadlifts to target the quads.

I never tried a 1RM for Fronts. I might be able to do 1 rep

So after a week off and pretty much disregarding the diet, i decided to have a little refresher session at the gym.

Squatted 120kgs for a few with ease, of which is 10kg over my 1RM. The weights felt easy.

Did Dumbell press and incline and again, the weights were easy.

Eating on a surplus boy makes lifting easier.

On the restricted deficit, everything is a challenge with minimal progression. I will go back to the struggle, but it was good to hit the weights and not fail

I'd never heard of it before tbh.
I googled it and it looks pretty similar to 5/3/1 and the Cube method with monthly linear progression mesocycles?

Yeah it's a method rather than a specific program.

This is what I'm running now http://swoleateveryheight.blogspot.com/2016/07/jacked-tan-20.html?m=1

Great gains so far in strength and hypertrophy, after recently coming off a linear progression. Smashes you though. 3 weekly, or so, mesocycles, basically looking to hit a PR every week and then just go hard with volume after the main lift. Upper lower split basically, but I add in a 5th day to smash my back and biceps because the program lacks that.

Last edited:
Squats are my weakest lift by far, just in terms of how my body moves and reacts to them. I feel exhausted after each squat session :sweat:

Bench has been moving pretty well, I hadn't benched in years and I'm doing 45kg 10 sets of 3 reps tonight, these 10 sets are testing me though haha. Hoping to get to 50kg next week, haven't benched 50kg in around 4 years I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah insane, the man is not human.

Thoughts on the bench record? That spotter has left a lot unanswered.

Yeah spotter got a bit ahead of himself.
That said, I’m not sure the rack command should’ve been given in the first place, which is a shame as the controversy surrounding its passing will overshadow the actual press for a while.

Yeah spotter got a bit ahead of himself.
That said, I’m not sure the rack command should’ve been given in the first place, which is a shame as the controversy surrounding its passing will overshadow the actual press for a while.
Yeah the lockout was questionable, still insane to get it up.

Can Belkin match it with the big dogs in 10ish weeks? He’s gonna put some weight on to help himself out I’d say.

After ditching the strict deficit diet...squats up to 130kg. Deadlift 150 and rising. OHP up to 50 and Bench to 70.

This won't last when I return to AUS and back on the deficit :(

Apparently Glenn Pendlay (renowned weightlifting coach and for whom the Pendlay row is named after) passed away in the last 24-48 hours.
Not been the best past few months for the strength community.

Apparently Glenn Pendlay (renowned weightlifting coach and for whom the Pendlay row is named after) passed away in the last 24-48 hours.
Not been the best past few months for the strength community.
I do Pendlay rows every week. Vale

Sad news.

Back in the olden days it was Pendlay/Rippetoe vs Westside.

Kids were either starting strength/drinking milk all day or concurrently conjugating their periodization. A 1950's lifting program called 5x5 suddenly became cool again.

They started the barbell revolution, and left bodybuilding in their wake. Unfortunately, the only thing the hypertrophy crowd had going in the early 2000's was a HIT on Roids program that suffered because the guy who invented it accidentally called it DoggCrapp.

It suddenly became the in thing for girls to squat for big bums (Sir Mix-a-lot was right), and the Crossfit crew took barbells and sleds to another level.

Companies like Rogue fed off the idea that all you needed to do was basic Olympic/Powerlifting lifts, and all that a gym required was a rack (with a bar across it so you can swing like a spaz), bench, barbell, and lots of slag iron....oh and a deadlift platform so you can lift in your socks.

RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back